inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Milli Vanilli

Written By: joeman on 12/23/08 at 7:46 pm

Do you guys think they would still be popular if they didn't screw things up with the endless loop of "Girl You Know It" in a concert(forget which)?  I really like this band, especially the hit song "Blame it on the Rain."  They, and Living Color, were popular African America rock bands in the 80s.

Subject: Re: Milli Vanilli

Written By: Red Ant on 12/23/08 at 8:51 pm

Milli Vanilli, just like Vanilla Ice, were frauds, and when they were exposed their careers tanked.

Even if they had performed their own songs, I doubt MV would be popular today: Rob Pilatus has been dead for ~ 10 years (though it's fair to point out he'd probably still be alive if MV had done their own music from the get-go).

Ant

Written By: johnny5alive on 12/23/08 at 9:50 pm

fakes or not, i still like the music!  and still have the cd from when it first came out! :)

Written By: woops on 12/23/08 at 10:09 pm

I find their songs funny for some reason, though never knew why they were popular since they had several #1 hits and even won a Grammy, which thankfully got taken away. Plus, their dance moves are bad and looked to be taken from excercises from football pratice.

The "In Living Color" Milli Vanilli commercial parody was classic though  8) :D ;D

Written By: Davester on 12/24/08 at 3:07 am

When they weren't  lip-syncing - now THAT was bad!  No sign of even a retro/kitsch factor following these guys...

Hey don't be so hard on them.  The labels were only giving us what "we" were clamoring for anyway.  Without loopgate, nobody would have even noticed... :D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/08 at 5:41 am

I personally don't see how much different Milli Vanilli was from some of the over synthesized pop that passes for for music these days.  If half the entertainers who call themselves musicians were given an instrument without electronic aids, or had their microphones taken away and asked to sing, they would be found to be quite a bit less talented.  Led Zeppelin made its name initially with stolen material, and the Monkees first tour was lip synched, so what Milli did wasn't something new.  I have often wondered what the real story was behind that whole thing.

Written By: Midas on 12/24/08 at 8:22 am

I personally don't see how much different Milli Vanilli was from some of the over synthesized pop that passes for for music these days.  If half the entertainers who call themselves musicians were given an instrument without electronic aids, or had their microphones taken away and asked to sing, they would be found to be quite a bit less talented.  Led Zeppelin made its name initially with stolen material, and the Monkees first tour was lip synched, so what Milli did wasn't something new.  I have often wondered what the real story was behind that whole thing.

Agreed.  I think the media focused on Rob & Fab because Milli Vanilli won a Grammy.  There were other artists at the time (C+C Music Factory & Black Box) that were using other people to lip-sync the vocals in videos (in the above cases both for Martha Wash).

I've probably said it before, but I don't really care who sang on the Milli Vanilli record.  I still have the Girl You Know It's True album and the 12" singles for GYKIT, "Baby Don't Forget My Number" and "All Or Nothing".  They were the def joints back in the day and people got stupid to it.  WORD.

Written By: tv on 12/24/08 at 6:00 pm

I personally don't see how much different Milli Vanilli was from some of the over synthesized pop that passes for for music these days. 
Yeah it was fair back in the day like in the 90's that Milli Vanilli was totally hated and backlashed but now a musician like Britney Spears is excused from any kind of criticism or ridicule and has no talent what so ever. I don't get it.

Anyway I like Milli Vanilli's music regardless who sung it. I do agree though their dancing was corny though.

Written By: whistledog on 12/24/08 at 10:50 pm

I saw Milli Vanilli more as a 90s group than an 80s one, but through all they did and didn't do, I still love 'Girl You Know It's True'

Back in the day, as many copies as possible of their CDs were recalled and were deleted from the record label's catalogue.  The last time I looked at Amazon, their debut CD was available, but was selling for over $50 lol

Written By: danootaandme on 12/25/08 at 3:56 am

I saw Milli Vanilli more as a 90s group than an 80s one, but through all they did and didn't do, I still love 'Girl You Know It's True'

Back in the day, as many copies as possible of their CDs were recalled and were deleted from the record label's catalogue.  The last time I looked at Amazon, their debut CD was available, but was selling for over $50 lol

Can't get them on Itunes

Written By: Captainfancypants on 12/27/08 at 5:19 pm

Steady on crew:

My band is all "mimesational" and got our best moves from Milli Vanilli, Vanilla Ice, even Brittany Spears!

DO you think we will get a Grammy for our "cool moves"?????? :o :o :o :o

First gig NYE!
Sad, that 40 somethings have copied a copy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53b9OOtpz7U

Rock on (And have a great Xmas and 2009!)
The Captain

Written By: Chasey on 12/29/08 at 6:23 pm

Milli Vanilli were 90's.  I don't associate them with the the decade that was the 80's, and infact, I think it's quite sad to think that because of all the nonsense surrounding their fake performances the lead singer actually took his own life. 

- It's a crime, but not one that's worth taking your life over.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/29/08 at 7:25 pm

Um I don't really have an appropriate response for this question since I'm not really a Milli Vanilli fan.

Written By: Chasey on 12/29/08 at 7:26 pm

Um I don't really have an appropriate response for this question since I'm not really a Milli Vanilli fan.

You don't have to be a fan to give an objective opinion.....

I wasn't a fan either.  ;)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/29/08 at 7:35 pm

You don't have to be a fan to give an objective opinion.....

I wasn't a fan either.  ;)

My response would go above PG-13 and it's quite possible that my language would over load the profanity filters if said too often.

Written By: johnny5alive on 12/29/08 at 10:19 pm

Milli Vanilli were 90's.  NOPE!  they started in the 80's!

Milli Vanilli's debut album All Or Nothing, was released in Europe in mid-1988, with Rob and Fab front and center and no mention of the actual singers. The success of the record caught the attention of Arista Records, who signed the duo and added a new track penned by Dianne Warren, "Blame it On The Rain" renaming it to Girl You Know It's True for release in the American market in early 1989

Written By: Chasey on 12/30/08 at 5:32 am

That may be true Johnny, but the trouble is everything that originates in the US didn't appear in the UK until later.  They weren't known to me until 1989, and then they carried on struggling through the 90's until they busted, hence why I treat them as more of a 90's band.

Written By: tv on 12/31/08 at 2:22 pm

That may be true Johnny, but the trouble is everything that originates in the US didn't appear in the UK until later.  They weren't known to me until 1989, and then they carried on struggling through the 90's until they busted, hence why I treat them as more of a 90's band.
Milli Vanilli was busted right before Thanksgiving Time I believe in 1990. Yeah the "orginal Milli Vanilli" in the US got a new name as a group but did nothing on the charts after the scandal was broke. Rob & Fab released an album in 1991 and it totally flopped and it was on a very low budget independent record label.

Milli Vanilli is neither 80's or 90's their kind of a tweener between both decades probably.

Check for new replies or respond here...