inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Teen Hair--HELP please!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/26/08 at 3:25 pm

Hi Everyone!  :)

I need a little help please. I'm starting work on a novel that is based in the early 1980s and I am in dire need of pictures of people from around 1981-1983's hairdos. I'm particularly looking for "normal" people, not really models, (though they are welcome... :) )  so I can get a better feel for what "real" people were wearing in the decade. If anyone could supply pics or the links to a website with pictures, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!  ;D

Subject: Re: 80s Teen Hair--HELP please!

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/26/08 at 3:33 pm

I'll be happy to do a look for actual pictures. Based on movies and tv footage or pictures I've seen from then, I'd think it would be split between people hanging onto a '70s disco look and some with big hair. Probably not frizzy long the way it was in the late 80s (like DJ Tanner on Full House in the earlier seasons) but more straight long. I've seen this mixed look in crowd or street scenes even as late as 1984. And more mustaches on younger guys too. ;D

P.S. That's awesome - what kind of novel is it (I'm into writing myself)?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/26/08 at 3:53 pm

Hi Marty!

That would be awesome! (Karma) I'm a very "visual" person and I have to "see" examples of things to get them. But I like the way you described the hair. It's neat. And I love DJ from "Full House."

My novel is a dramatic piece about a detective and the drug underworld in LA...kind of like Miami Vice, but not all Easter Egg colored and grittier.  :)

Written By: robby76 on 12/26/08 at 7:51 pm

The Facts of Life girls would give you a great insight into any year of the 80s. They pretty much had every hairstyle going.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/26/08 at 8:16 pm

That sounds really cool, Apollonia!  8)

Like Robby said, The Facts of Life will give you some good ideas! You can buy or rent the available season sets. If you have a chance, you might also check out Square Pegs and the first 2 seasons of Family Ties.

Perhaps your local library might have old issues of magazines like Seventeen (either bound together in a volume or on microfiche/microfilm) from 1981-1983? That might be worth checking out as well. When I was living in AZ I used to go to the downtown library and read old issues of Seventeen all the time.  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/08 at 3:10 pm

Hi Marty!

That would be awesome! (Karma) I'm a very "visual" person and I have to "see" examples of things to get them. But I like the way you described the hair. It's neat. And I love DJ from "Full House."

My novel is a dramatic piece about a detective and the drug underworld in LA...kind of like Miami Vice, but not all Easter Egg colored and grittier.  :)

Oh no problem, I'm the same way with visuals. I guess a good example offhand would be the first Vacation movie (the Wally World one from 1983). I'd guess Rusty and Audrey were young teens, probably about 13 in that one, and they seemed like borderline '70s kids. They were even playing an Atari in the beginning, lol and the whole movie seemed to have a transitional look, especially the tech.

P.S. Sounds really neat, I hope it works out for you. :) I like stuff like that, and there actually seemed to be alot of movies in that style (a dark underbelly set amongst a brighter pop culture). In fact, alot of '80s movies seemed to take place in Miami, so that's perfect.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/27/08 at 3:59 pm

Hey Y'all!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! someone mentioned FOL, I have the first three seasons on DVD (I love Tootie! LOL)  and I mentioned Miami Vice. A little embarrassed to admit it, but I bought the whole MV series on DVD earlier this year. The clerks at the store changed colors when I tossed it on the counter. (I guess I appeared 20 years too young to know about MV LOL)

And you're right about Miami. But it was really a happening place. I just don't think I could date a man wearing a pink blouse and a white suit...wait, wasn't that Prince?  :D LOL.

Thanks for all the input.

(Please post some pics! LOL!)

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/08 at 10:49 pm

don't forget the pics I posted for you in the clothing from 1982 there's tons of pics teens with  80s hair,

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/27/08 at 11:14 pm

don't forget the pics I posted for you in the clothing from 1982 there's tons of pics teens with  80s hair,

Hey I forgot about that! Thanks!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/08 at 11:17 pm

Hey I forgot about that! Thanks!  ;D

you're welcome....  :)

Written By: C. Luless on 01/03/09 at 2:41 pm

I could help!  I graduated in the 80's and have several pictures of the Mall Hair, big bangs, punk colors and the wet gel look!

Let me know if it would be anything you're interested in!

C. Lueless

Written By: 90steen on 01/04/09 at 8:13 am

Being born in 1980... im not entirely familiar with early 80's hair... But I do remember back to being 2 a little.

The best I can explain teen hair of the early 80's... Imagine the late 70's, only a bit bigger, on it's way to the late 80's.

I'd say the fashions were terrible in the early 80's. The best early 80's teen film is Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

I love it, and it's before my generation.

Or this might help you, pictures of actual teenagers from The Classes of 1982 & 1983

If you have a specific year to request, let me know in case you're not looking for these 2 years.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj257/bewp/103.jpghttp://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj257/bewp/116.jpghttp://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj257/bewp/197.jpghttp://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj257/bewp/196.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj257/bewp/198.jpghttp://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj257/bewp/105-1.jpghttp://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj257/bewp/123.jpghttp://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj257/bewp/115.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/09 at 10:42 am

How did you get me access to my high school yearbook?

;)

;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/04/09 at 3:07 pm

Wow, 90steen. I gotta hand it to you, you really found some hair. I can almost smell the Aquanet when I look at thses pics. LOL. Thanks so much. Gosh. that's some big hair. I actually like the hair on the young lady in the second row, fourth on the left.  :)

Karma!

Written By: 90steen on 01/06/09 at 3:02 pm

Oh thank god. I was hoping it wasn't against any rules to post pictures of real people. I cropped out the people's names though.

Just some yearbook I found online. It has pictures from years 1959 - 2003.

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/09 at 8:16 pm

Oh thank god. I was hoping it wasn't against any rules to post pictures of real people. I cropped out the people's names though.

Just some yearbook I found online. It has pictures from years 1959 - 2003.

meh we post pics of people here all the time. Just so long as the pics aren't offensive there's no problem. If you actually know the person tho you might want their permission.. I figure- pics I find online are fair game because someone already posted them.

Written By: 90steen on 01/10/09 at 11:50 am

Wow, 90steen. I gotta hand it to you, you really found some hair. I can almost smell the Aquanet when I look at thses pics. LOL. Thanks so much. Gosh. that's some big hair. I actually like the hair on the young lady in the second row, fourth on the left.  :)

Karma!

Sure is.
The 80's when big hair didn't get too big.
Personally, I prefer the late 80's hair > the early 80's hair.

Just because my sister and her friends (class of 1988) and my brother and his friends (class of 1990) all looked like it, and my sister used to tell me she couldn't wait to get older to make her hair like that.

Funny, because the time we came around to those ages, that hair was out of style.

Check for new replies or respond here...