inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Wave track from 1984 - Opinions Please!

Written By: Chasey on 12/29/08 at 7:17 pm

This is the brilliant Summer Spies by Fatal Charm:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yLTlvRvpnhg

Somehow it contrived never to be a hit.  Any opinions?

Subject: Re: New Wave track from 1984 - Opinions Please!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/29/08 at 7:27 pm

Naturally I'm going to say Tears For Fears and their fabulously done video for Shout is what I think of in 1984.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aD3tsfanjI

It's brilliant as far as 84's music videos go.  They were the only English Synth Rock group that was giving the Iron Lady a really big "fudge YOU!!"

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/29/08 at 8:45 pm

Hi Chasey!  Long time no see.

I'd never heard that song before, I'm wondering why it never made the charts.  It woulda fit in perfectly with the rest.

I'm guessing that since '84 was chock full of other excellent songs (by all the Mtv guys and dolls) that it just got overlooked in the crowd.  :(

Written By: whistledog on 12/30/08 at 12:20 am

Sounds pretty good, I like it :)

I've always said that the best 80s songs either don't make the charts, or do, but fall outside the Top 40.  Lots of great music gets lost in the mix :(

Written By: Chasey on 12/30/08 at 5:37 am

Hi Chasey!  Long time no see.

I'd never heard that song before, I'm wondering why it never made the charts.  It woulda fit in perfectly with the rest.

I'm guessing that since '84 was chock full of other excellent songs (by all the Mtv guys and dolls) that it just got overlooked in the crowd.  :(

Indeed!  A big hello to you, too BM!  8)

I agree with you.  I think that 1984 was the most competitive year for music in the 1980's, it was just chocked full of top, top talent and cracking stuff.  Maybe that was one reason, but perhaps the other reason was that I don't think it was the most 'radio-friendly' track ever, although my local station did use to play it throughout the late 80's.

A great song, nevertheless.

Check for new replies or respond here...