inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone know the names of these movies???

Written By: rickyfan3956 on 01/13/09 at 6:53 am

I seem to remember two movies from about 1985-1987 or so and it seems to me that they were both featured on the Disney Sunday Movie back then.  The first one had to do with a bunch of Cambodian refugee children that were taken in by an American family.  I don't remember much about it except that the youngest daughter in the American family was jealous about how much attention the Cambodian children were getting from her parents.  The other has to do with the Underground Railroad and I remember one scene in it where a slave had "misbehaved" and the oldest boy in the owner's family was told to go and whip the slave but he didn't want to do it because the slave was his friend.  So they went into the barn and he pretended to whip the slave by hitting something leather with the whip and having the slave yell occasionally so that anyone listening would think he'd actually done it.  But then his father or somebody came in and caught them and he was forced to watch while the slave actually was whipped.  Anybody know the names of these movies?  I'd like to own them if I can.

Subject: Re: Anyone know the names of these movies???

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/09 at 3:46 pm

I seem to remember two movies from about 1985-1987 or so and it seems to me that they were both featured on the Disney Sunday Movie back then.  The first one had to do with a bunch of Cambodian refugee children that were taken in by an American family.  I don't remember much about it except that the youngest daughter in the American family was jealous about how much attention the Cambodian children were getting from her parents.  The other has to do with the Underground Railroad and I remember one scene in it where a slave had "misbehaved" and the oldest boy in the owner's family was told to go and whip the slave but he didn't want to do it because the slave was his friend.  So they went into the barn and he pretended to whip the slave by hitting something leather with the whip and having the slave yell occasionally so that anyone listening would think he'd actually done it.  But then his father or somebody came in and caught them and he was forced to watch while the slave actually was whipped.  Anybody know the names of these movies?  I'd like to own them if I can.

I absolutely remember the second film you describe... I can see it... and vaguely see the actors (the boys) give me a day to let my subconscious stew on it and it will come to me.

The other one may be familiar.... But its not as clear as number two.

Written By: Penelope on 01/21/09 at 3:09 pm

The one about the cambodian girl is called "The Girl Who Spelled Freedom".  I can't remember name of the other one...but I'll tighten thinking cap and see what happens!  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 01/21/09 at 6:57 pm

I absolutely remember the second film you describe... I can see it... and vaguely see the actors (the boys) give me a day to let my subconscious stew on it and it will come to me.

The other one may be familiar.... But its not as clear as number two.

The slave one sounded familiar, in my brain the slave was Todd Bridges.  Looking at his IMDB, though all I see is Roots.  He was also in Little House and The Waltons.  I know it wasn't the Little House episode...I remember that one.

I probably just confused the whole situation.

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/09 at 7:10 pm

The slave one sounded familiar, in my brain the slave was Todd Bridges.  Looking at his IMDB, though all I see is Roots.  He was also in Little House and The Waltons.  I know it wasn't the Little House episode...I remember that one.

I probably just confused the whole situation.

I know... in my head though I was seeing Larry B Scott tho. It feels more and the kid I see is one with Sandy hair and freckles like aw crap I had it and then lost it... Rossie Harris... I think that's who I'm picturing.

Written By: robby76 on 01/21/09 at 8:17 pm

The one about the cambodian girl is called "The Girl Who Spelled Freedom".

That was one I remember well. Shame it's only out on OOP overpriced vhs.

Check for new replies or respond here...