inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Battle of the synthesizers: Roland Juno 60 vs. Yamaha DX-7

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/27/09 at 9:30 am

To me, the VERY peak of the '80s was when both of these synthesizers were getting heavy usage (both synths were pretty mixed in 1984 and 1985). The biggest difference between the two is the Juno is analog while the DX7 is digital. The Roland Juno 60 had heavy use from 1981-1985, while the DX7 was more of a 1984-1990 instrument. But, which instrument's sound is more iconic?

THE ROLAND JUNO 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiuJfQB48vY

The sound just screams NEW WAVE, Duran Duran, Eurythmics, Van Halen, early Madonna, and Human League.

THE YAMAHA DX-7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmp9yqhsjqg

More of that power ballad/soft rock sound.

If you were an '80s music fan, what synth would YOU prefer?

Subject: Re: Battle of the synthesizers: Roland Juno 60 vs. Yamaha DX-7

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/03/09 at 7:26 pm

Bump.

Written By: midnite on 02/03/09 at 7:39 pm

Interesting and cool post.

Roland Juno-60.    At 5:30 in the youtube video is really cool.  Like a "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This."  I believe this was used in alot of old Italo-Disco as well and its success was short-lived.

Yamaha DX-7.  A totally different animal than the Roland Juno-60.  I believe it was much more successful and lasted much longer - to the late 80s I believe.

Though I believe the Yamaha DX-7 was more powerful and successful, I prefer the sound of the Roland Juno-60 and its bizarre synthy feel over the new-agey Yamaha DX-7.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/04/09 at 3:33 pm

Interesting and cool post.

Roland Juno-60.     At 5:30 in the youtube video is really cool.  Like a "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This."  I believe this was used in alot of old Italo-Disco as well and its success was short-lived.

Yamaha DX-7.   A totally different animal than the Roland Juno-60.   I believe it was much more successful and lasted much longer - to the late 80s I believe.

Though I believe the Yamaha DX-7 was more powerful and successful, I prefer the sound of the Roland Juno-60 and its bizarre synthy feel over the new-agey Yamaha DX-7.

I agree.  My favorite synth pop bands were using Rolands, Kurtzweils, and Korgs (Korg was affiliated with Yamaha, however).  The New Age and classical musicians preferred the Yamaha DX-7 (as Midnite notes).  While neither the Roland or the Yamaha sound has aged well, I still go crazy for the Roland Juno sound.  In fact, I had one myself, but I never learned to play.  I had it for several years before I sold it in mint condition one of my roommates in college who was a self-styled electronica artist.  My Roland appeared on a few of his CDs!

The roster of musicians who used the Yamaha DX-7 is impressive and includes some of my favorites from Philip Glass to Front 242 to Kraftwerk

The name that hurt the Yamaha DX-7 more than any other is Jan Hammer.  He was a second-rate jazz hack going back to the late '60s (see also Mahavishnu Orchestra) and he is the fiend who brought us the "Miami Vice" theme.  That was all DX-7.  The song also forever associated  the Simmons-style electronic percussion kits to "Miami Vice" drums.  For instance, I got a CD by a composer named Alain Thibault from Montreal.  I liked the music on "Volt," but it was recorded in the late '80s and the percussion is "Miami Vice" drums!
::)

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/05/09 at 1:03 pm

I found a link to the instruction manual for the DX-7!

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/DX7E1.pdf

But actually I like when people say that something "hasn't dated well", it's what makes the '80s the '80s!

Check for new replies or respond here...