inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Crowded House

Written By: Zeb on 02/20/09 at 11:59 am

I am sure some of you will remember this Australian band.  Don't get me wrong, "Don't Dream It's Over" is a nice song but, I liked "Something so Strong" much more.  That's about all the success they had in America and I am wondering what any of our friends from Down Under thought of them? 

Subject: Re: Crowded House

Written By: Claybricks on 02/20/09 at 12:56 pm

I like this song too from this New Zealand band...

Crowded House - Weather With You {1988}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIb6I8gtgtw

Dan

Written By: Frank on 02/20/09 at 2:06 pm

I liked "Don't dream it's over" . It was the right song for my mood at the time...back in 1987??

Written By: gibbo on 02/20/09 at 4:46 pm

I'm from Australia and always liked their stuff. I followed Split Enz before they split and some of the members became Crowded House. The Finn brothers could do no wrong in my musical eyes. It was interesting watching them in Split Enz....it was Tim Finn who was dominant in the early years and then Neil  Finn began songwriting and taking the lead vocals more. Some of their biggest hits were with Neil on lead..

As far as Crowded House are concerned ...Even though "Don't Dream It's Over" and Something So Strong" were great songs, I really find myself sing and playing "Better Be Home Soon" more than any other song of theirs.....

Written By: Frank on 02/20/09 at 5:07 pm

I'm from Australia and always liked their stuff. I followed Split Enz before they split and some of the members became Crowded House. The Finn brothers could do no wrong in my musical eyes. It was interesting watching them in Split Enz....it was Tim Finn who was dominant in the early years and then Neil  Finn began songwriting and taking the lead vocals more. Some of their biggest hits were with Neil on lead..

As far as Crowded House are concerned ...Even though "Don't Dream It's Over" and Something So Strong" were great songs, I really find myself sing and playing "Better Be Home Soon" more than any other song of theirs.....

Split enz was a great band. Use to have one of the albums. "Hart act to follow", "One step ahead", "I got you" . really neat songs from about '82 or' 83

I particularily enjoyed the beat  of "One step ahead"

Written By: midnite on 02/20/09 at 6:31 pm

In the late 80s and early 90s I always thought Crowded House were a little corny.  However, I have come to enjoy their songs recently.

Written By: mooster on 02/20/09 at 7:13 pm

Love them! They were extremely popular in Australia (and Split Enz) and rightly so. My favourite "Into Temptation"

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/20/09 at 7:19 pm

Weather With You is great 8)

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/09 at 9:38 pm

The same for me.  I was a BIG fan of 'Better Be Home Soon'. 

In Canada, Crowded House were so popular that they were honoured by Much Music (our version of MTV) as honourary VJs because they'd made more appearances at Much Music than any other band at the time

Year 1987 1987 1987 1988 1989 1989 1991 1991 1992 1992 1992 1993 1993 1994 1994 1994 1996 1996 1996 2007 2007

Song Title Don't Dream It's Over Something So Strong World Where You Live Better Be Home Soon Sister Madly I Feel Possessed Chocolate Cake Fall at Your Feet Weather With You Four Seasons in One Day It's Only Natural Distant Sun Nails in My Feet Locked Out Fingers of Love Pineapple Head Instinct Not the Girl You Think You Are Don't Dream It's Over <re-issue> Don't Stop Now Pour Le Monde

United Kingdom #27 #95 -- -- -- -- #69 #17 #7 #26 #24 #19 #22 #12 #25 #27 #12 #20 #25 #41 #51

Canada #1 #10 -- #1 #92 #100 #9 #24 #34 #68 #55 #4 -- #81 -- -- #68 -- -- -- --

United States #2 #7 #65 #42 -- -- -- #75 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Written By: robby76 on 02/21/09 at 1:28 am

I'm going for "Weather With You". "Don't Dream It's Over" was great too.

I also like Neil Finn's work with Bic Runga.

Written By: 90steen on 02/21/09 at 3:41 pm

Don't Drwam It's Over is a good one. I remember it being on an episode of 90210.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/21/09 at 5:54 pm

I am sure some of you will remember this Australian band.  Don't get me wrong, "Don't Dream It's Over" is a nice song but, I liked "Something so Strong" much more.  That's about all the success they had in America and I am wondering what any of our friends from Down Under thought of them?  

Yeah "Dont Dream its Over" was one of my favorite songs as a kid, but it's kinda overrated.

I agree with you about "Something so Strong", people kinda seem to forget that one (it's more upbeat synthpop but with sort of a 90s vibe). Another coiple I like off that album are "Now We're Getting Somewhere" and "I Walk Away"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/09 at 9:45 am

I like this band too.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/22/09 at 11:40 am

Weather With You is great 8)

I was just listening to that one yesterday on my iPod and it is a very nice song!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...