inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s metronome? Please help me find...

Written By: BronCobra on 02/22/09 at 4:35 am

Hi everybody, in the movie The Seventh Sign, 1988 starring Demi Moore, there is a scene where she is in the shrinks office. In the background, on a table is a metronome like object. It has a triangle base and a large circle around it. At the tip of the triangle is a bar with round ends that ticks back and forth like a metronme. It is really sleek and cool, and I would REALLY like to have one. Does any one know what this is called or where I could buy one? I've been looking on ebay/google under metronome for quite awhile and have had no luck. Thanks.

Subject: Re: 80s metronome? Please help me find...

Written By: friday on 02/22/09 at 4:44 am

its acctually called a metronome. there not that popular at the moment so you might have some trouble finding one, your best bet is to go round charety shops and antique shops. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/09 at 4:55 am

Music shops sell metronomes.

Written By: BronCobra on 02/22/09 at 5:03 am

Well all of the musical ones on ebay and stuff are just cheesy looking wood or plastic with a stick going back and forth with a weight to adjust the speed. This one was big, and entirely made of metal, and didn't make a ticking noise. It was almost more like one of those perpetual motion machines or something, but you could tell it was expensive just by looking at it. I've actually used a regular metronome during piano lessons back in the day. lol. It looks like it was something that would have been sold in a Hammacher Schlemmer catalog or something.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/09 at 5:06 am

Can you locate an image of the required metronome?

Written By: friday on 02/22/09 at 5:08 am

if you show a pic of it to the person in the shop they might be able to tell you were to get one

Written By: karen on 02/22/09 at 4:35 pm

If it doesn't tick it sounds more like one of those office toys.  Not the same thing but I had a chrome set of three dolphins that rocked back and forward through hoops.

Written By: BronCobra on 02/23/09 at 1:33 pm

I've got several of those office toys that run on batteries and magnets. This looks like a rich mans version of one of those. It is substantial and elegant. I say it didn't tick because the scene was very quiet in the office room and you couldn't hear it on the soundtrack anyway. I've looked all over the web at thousands of photos and vid clips. This scene apparently wasn't as popular as others. lol. Lee Garlington was the Dr. so I searched under her, Demi, and the Seventh Sign. I guess I need to learn how to make screen shots of my movie. I will get a pic somehow, thanks for all the replies so far.

Check for new replies or respond here...