inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arcade sounds

Written By: Kryllith on 02/23/09 at 11:12 am

Saw this on linked on fark.com and I figure people might get a kick out of it. It's basically a collection of sounds from various arcades that someone put together during the 80s. It's recorded on 14 different audio tapes so the quality isn't the best, and since it's actually recorded from arcades there is a fair bit of talking and background noise (notably from other games), but it's a nice piece of nostalgia nonetheless. I've not listened to them all, so there may be some potential nsfw content in the form of profanity; consider yourself warned if you're on the job. Enjoy!

http://www.coinopvideogames.com/sounds.php

Subject: Re: Arcade sounds

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/03/09 at 11:23 pm

http://www.coinopvideogames.com/sounds.php

Also, check out Arcade Ambience.  Four hour-long mixes of ambient glory for download: 1981, 1983, 1986, and 1992. 

Written By: Tiramisu on 03/04/09 at 8:56 pm

they sound so good on the ears. :)

Subject: Awesome!

Written By: Dude111 on 06/28/09 at 5:54 pm

It's recorded on 14 different audio tapes so the quality isn't the best

Are you kidding?

THE AUDIO IS FINE!!!!! -- I CLOSED MY EYES AND PRETENDED I WAS THERE!!!

Boy,it brought me to tears!! (I mi$$ the 80s so much)

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/29/09 at 1:50 am

Wow.

This is like a time capsule. I could just close my eyes and imagine hiding out in the mall arcade room on a Saturday afternoon!

Q*bert was one of my favorites, could rack up 10-20 of extra lives and just walk away to lunch at McD's and give it to some kid with enough extra lives left over to still have the same game going! :D The hard pinball drop fall in the machine when he falls is still bone chilling...

Its so odd how well sounds can place you in a time better than pictures can sometimes! 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/06/09 at 11:08 pm

Checkout Game 4-33! The banter of them as kids is priceless! I remember being blown away by Star Wars because it actually had voices in it!  8)

It's funny - when I was taping music off the radio, I strove to never hear a word of any DJ.

I dug out a bunch of old mix tapes a few years ago.  The bits where the DJs are talking are the parts I enjoy the most. (These were taped was back in the 80s, when even the DJs on the major stations were live and actually involved in selecting the music they were playing, and the college radio DJs had basically no rules whatsoever...)

"...and that was a request, because I would not play that on my own..."
  - A college radio DJ, having just played the Dayglo Abortions, Argh, F*bleep*k, Kill during request hour.

Written By: stingr22 on 07/16/09 at 11:47 pm

The sound was pretty good, especially since they originated from cassette tapes from the 80s!  Thanks for sharing!

Written By: Stinkyy on 08/16/09 at 11:46 am

Wow.

This is like a time capsule. I could just close my eyes and imagine hiding out in the mall arcade room on a Saturday afternoon!

Funny listening to these guys playing Ghosts & Goblins getting their butts kicked...  Sounds from Jailbreak (right after) are very familiar.

http://www.coinopvideogames.com/videogames12.php

How esoteric and cool!

Check for new replies or respond here...