inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are the symptoms of being a Generation Xer?

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/24/09 at 4:17 pm

I was doing a research on different generations, and I notice the cultural difference between Generation X and Generation Y.  As for me, I'm a 1977er, and I am a Gen Xer.  Some websites want to include me with Generation Y, but how can I be a Yer when I have nothing in common with those who were born in the 80s? I notice that I have more in common with those who are late Xers (1975-1979).  I never considered myself as a Generation Yer.  I always looked at Generation X as mid 60s to late 70s (1965-1979) and Generation Y as 80s and 90s babies (1980-1995)  I have nothing in common with those who were born in the 80s.  I believe the symptoms of a Gen Xer are those who can recall the 80s whether they were children, preteens, or teens.  The symptoms of an Xer are those who remember when record players and cassette players were popular and a must have, when 8 tracks were popular, when Atari and the original Nintendo first came out in the 80s, when computers were seen as something new, when VCRs were huge and heavy, when everything was hardwired, when the Challenger blew up, when Michael Jackson hit it REAL big with the Thriller album, when the Cosby Show started in 1984, when We Are The World first came out, when Madonna blew up in the 80s, when Purple Rain made Prince a superstar, etc

What do you think?
Please respond.

Subject: Re: What are the symptoms of being a Generation Xer?

Written By: Davester on 02/24/09 at 6:16 pm

It's supposed to be about experiences, values and attitudes rather than a birth range, so I'm told...

Long time no see, Nicole... :)

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/24/09 at 7:41 pm

It's supposed to be about experiences, values and attitudes rather than a birth range, so I'm told...

Long time no see, Nicole... :)

Thank you.  I was doing something, and I didn't get the chance to come back here, so I have to cancel my account.  I miss ya'll too! :)

I believe that experiences, values, and attitudes  has lot to do with the age and the year you were born .  Like say a baby boomer for instance.  I use my father as an example.  My father is a baby boomer (1951), and his experiences, values, and attitudes are different from mines since I'm an Xer.  When he was a preteen and a teenager in the 1960s, Motown was hitting it big, and he EXPERIENCED it because that's his era.  My father's generation was the 1960s and early to mid 70s.  I believe that you start EXPERIENCING pop culture for the first time once you start entering junior high school (6th to 8th grade).  There's a difference between EXPERIENCING pop culture and just being around it.  Like me, I didn't EXPERIENCE pop culture until I hit my preteens (11-12 years old).  Before then I was just being around it.   When I was 9, I wanted to be like Janet Jackson.  When I was 8, I had a Michael Jackson doll, but other than that,  I didn't give a damn about what's going on except cartoons, toys, TV shows, and what have you.  I'm talking about music, movies, concerts, parties, etc.  It wasn't until I entered middle school that I really EXPERIENCE pop culture, and it was the late 80s.  The late 80s (1988-1989), 90s, and the early 2000s (2000-2002) is my era.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/24/09 at 8:01 pm

Welcome back, Nicole. and karma.

I don't pay too much attention to labels, but being born in '75 makes me Gen-X. I do identify with most of the things you mentioned though.

signature banned as well

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/24/09 at 8:17 pm

Welcome back, Nicole. and karma.

I don't pay too much attention to labels, but being born in '75 makes me Gen-X. I do identify with most of the things you mentioned though.

signature banned as well

Exactly.  I have more in common with those born between 1975 and 1979.  I never had anything in common with someone born in 1980 or 1981.  The stuff that I've mentioned, we both can identify them because we were raised in the 80s, and we both remember being kids in the early to mid 80s.

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/24/09 at 11:00 pm

signature banned as well

I agree with that thinking entirely. The entire baby boomer, last generation, Gen X, Gen Y stuff. Annoying to me really.
I believe it initially a just a media plug.
A self serving, self obsessed, "Me" generation media, baby boomers didn't know what to make of the up and coming kids and so called them Generation X. Why? Well since they still couldn't get a handle on just what they were into or why, X makes sense, as the unknown variable in math, it fits perfectly.

I've always disliked being lumped into what is essentially a media pop culture term, describing anything and nothing at all about a generation they know nothing about and never really cared to...

I've just always felt slighted that the unqualified category I've been dropped into wasn't even dignified enough by the previous generation to have a proper name. Being called an "X"er just doesn't seem to be enough to describe me or my contemporaries.

Written By: Davester on 02/24/09 at 11:03 pm

I believe that experiences, values, and attitudes  has lot to do with the age and the year you were born .  Like say a baby boomer for instance.  I use my father as an example.  My father is a baby boomer (1951), and his experiences, values, and attitudes are different from mines since I'm an Xer.  When he was a preteen and a teenager in the 1960s, Motown was hitting it big, and he EXPERIENCED it because that's his era.  My father's generation was the 1960s and early to mid 70s.  I believe that you start EXPERIENCING pop culture for the first time once you start entering junior high school (6th to 8th grade).  There's a difference between EXPERIENCING pop culture and just being around it.  Like me, I didn't EXPERIENCE pop culture until I hit my preteens (11-12 years old).  Before then I was just being around it.   When I was 9, I wanted to be like Janet Jackson.  When I was 8, I had a Michael Jackson doll, but other than that,  I didn't give a damn about what's going on except cartoons, toys, TV shows, and what have you.  I'm talking about music, movies, concerts, parties, etc.  It wasn't until I entered middle school that I really EXPERIENCE pop culture, and it was the late 80s.  The late 80s (1988-1989), 90s, and the early 2000s (2000-2002) is my era.

Any Gen Xer worth their salt would probably never call him or herself that, dismissing the label as the marketing scheme that it is.  That's fine, but that still leaves us with an Amereican generation of between 40 and 60 million souls now without a name.  As far as acronyms go, we could do alot worse.  As I understand it, the 'X' is supposed to denote the lack of a name.  Like, "We'll secretly wash half of Mrs. Smith's blouse in Tide and the other half in Brand X..."

Up until a couple of years ago I was unaware that I had a generation and still occasionally wonder why I care.  I might have guessed "the Pepsi Generation".  The more you look at it, if you're bored and inclined to do so, the more you start to see the gaps.  It don't pay the bills but sometimes I like to sit around and examine my belly button... :P

You use popular culture as the shared identity.  I resist because it's transient, ambiguous and universal.  A pop song is not the shared experience of a generation, IMO.  I'll leave Michael Jackson, the Smurfs and the godforsaken Rubik's Cube to the marketing execs.  The shared experiences are circumstantial in nature...

There's a kind of test or questionnaire for this generation (ala Cosmo) that goes something like "Pick Your Own Dysfunctional Family":

A. Generic Dysfunctional (+8 points)
  B. Garden Variety Phychotic (+11 points)
  C. Standard Issue Normal (+2 points)
  D. Military (+14 points)

After you pick your family, chose the self-image you would like to project to the world:

A. Pathetic Whiner (-9 points)
  B. Seething Time Bomb (-7 points)
  C. Bland Golfer (-2 points)
  D. Energetic Go-Getter (-8 points)
  E. Failed Dreamer (-4 points)

Of course the questionnaire is horsepucky, but it illustrates the point...

Does that meet with your approval..?

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/25/09 at 12:14 am

Any Gen Xer worth their salt would probably never call him or herself that, dismissing the label as the marketing scheme that it is.  That's fine, but that still leaves us with an Amereican generation of between 40 and 60 million souls now without a name.  As far as acronyms go, we could do alot worse.  As I understand it, the 'X' is supposed to denote the lack of a name.  Like, "We'll secretly wash half of Mrs. Smith's blouse in Tide and the other half in Brand X..."

Up until a couple of years ago I was unaware that I had a generation and still occasionally wonder why I care.  I might have guessed "the Pepsi Generation".  The more you look at it, if you're bored and inclined to do so, the more you start to see the gaps.  It don't pay the bills but sometimes I like to sit around and examine my belly button... :P

You use popular culture as the shared identity.  I resist because it's transient, ambiguous and universal.  A pop song is not the shared experience of a generation, IMO.  I'll leave Michael Jackson, the Smurfs and the godforsaken Rubik's Cube to the marketing execs.  The shared experiences are circumstantial in nature...

There's a kind of test or questionnaire for this generation (ala Cosmo) that goes something like "Pick Your Own Dysfunctional Family":

A. Generic Dysfunctional (+8 points)
  B. Garden Variety Phychotic (+11 points)
  C. Standard Issue Normal (+2 points)
  D. Military (+14 points)

After you pick your family, chose the self-image you would like to project to the world:

A. Pathetic Whiner (-9 points)
  B. Seething Time Bomb (-7 points)
  C. Bland Golfer (-2 points)
  D. Energetic Go-Getter (-8 points)
  E. Failed Dreamer (-4 points)

Of course the questionnaire is horsepucky, but it illustrates the point...

Does that meet with your approval..?

That makes a lot of sense.  To tell you the truth, I was basing the generation  on pop culture, and what sdid they do when it was released for the first time.  That's what I was looking at.  Like for instance, My father was around when the Supremes were popular in the 1960s.  He went to parties and concerts around that time.  A child may heard of the Supremes, but he or she didn't experienced it because he or she was around that time of its release and popularity.  I always based a generation on pop culture (music, movies, concerts, TV shows, fashion, etc).

Written By: Davester on 02/25/09 at 12:50 am

That makes a lot of sense.  To tell you the truth, I was basing the generation  on pop culture, and what sdid they do when it was released for the first time.  That's what I was looking at.  Like for instance, My father was around when the Supremes were popular in the 1960s.  He went to parties and concerts around that time.  A child may heard of the Supremes, but he or she didn't experienced it because he or she was around that time of its release and popularity.  I always based a generation on pop culture (music, movies, concerts, TV shows, fashion, etc).

If that's what works for you, go for it...

So on to popular culture because if you have no wars or social revolutions to brag about, you drop Star Wars, Bullwinkle and Charmin quotes into everyday conversations...

How many folks around our age have, at one time or another (and I'm guilty too), said something like, "hey, you just reminded me of that one guy on the A-Team that kidnapped that girl, remember?" or "I went into my boss's office and the sh*t hit the fan like that episode of Mork & Mindy when Mork finds out he's pregnant..."  or "she looks just like Julie from the Love Boat..."  I occasionally catch myself using lines from commercials.  OLD commercials...

I don't know what to call it but it's a gen x trademark.  Nobody else lives the recycled pop culture like that...

Last Saturday I was party to an hour long conversation about The Family Guy and around last Christmas a friend and I sat around for an hour or two crushing beers and talking about ways George Lucas could've made the prequels better.  I keep finding myself in the same damned conversations about things that don't really matter.  How much can one possibly have to say about a prime time cartoon..?!

Only gen xers do that stuff.  Why?  Dunno.  Nothing else to talk about..?

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/25/09 at 3:14 am

So on to popular culture because if you have no wars or social revolutions to brag about, you drop Star Wars, Bullwinkle and Charmin quotes into everyday conversations...

How many folks around our age have, at one time or another (and I'm guilty too), said something like, "hey, you just reminded me of that one guy on the A-Team that kidnapped that girl, remember?" or "I went into my boss's office and the sh*t hit the fan like that episode of Mork & Mindy when Mork finds out he's pregnant..."  or "she looks just like Julie from the Love Boat..."  I occasionally catch myself using lines from commercials.  OLD commercials...

I don't know what to call it but it's a gen x trademark.  Nobody else lives the recycled pop culture like that...

Last Saturday I was party to an hour long conversation about The Family Guy and around last Christmas a friend and I sat around for an hour or two crushing beers and talking about ways George Lucas could've made the prequels better.  I keep finding myself in the same damned conversations about things that don't really matter.  How much can one possibly have to say about a prime time cartoon..?!

Wow, right there with you on that. ;)

Dunno about the quoting of past TV ads and stuff but I've been there and understand.

I was trying to explain something to my GF (15 years my junior, keep your remarks to yourself, I consider myself lucky) and I had mentioned the fact that the subject she was speaking about was just as likely as Shaggy (if I have to explain who he is... :P) not being a pothead....*dead silence*...huh?

I think it has a lot to do with a prevailing acknowledgment of the media and all its formats that weren't around previously. Kids, at least I, was pretty damn focused on media/TV/music in our childhood in the 70's and subsequent media in the 80's were ineffective in trying to categorize us.
We already had TV, but by the mid to late 70's we had cable, R-rated films, and even for the lucky few VCR's.
I KNOW we (or at least) I refereed to things in reference to what we watched or heard, more so than ever before the '70's, and its only been amplified today on the Internet.

Previously parents, and those before us could refer to music and that time era, by the mid '70s we mark time by the TV or cartoon show. Now we mark when formats are issued...
Its odd, but really difficult to put into perspective the influence and lack of, or gaining apathy (buzz word!) that was part of the scene. But can't deny it was there...

Written By: soliton on 02/25/09 at 5:03 am

What do you think?

I think the whole notion a generation became meaningless after (or perhaps even during) the so-called Baby Boomers. 

The so-called Generations X/Y/Z and the various other divisions like Generation Jones are all based at least in part on popular culture (like what sorts of movies or music or TV people of a certain cohort supposedly watched), which is basically absurd, in my view (as I'll explain in a minute).

Up until the Baby Boomers, each generation was shaped by some sort of cataclysmic event.  For my mother and father (the G.I. Generation), these events were the Great Depression and World War II.  For the Silents, it was the Korean War.  The Baby Boomer generation was shaped by the Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam.  Notice how after more than 30 years, the Vietnam War is still a political lightning rod.

The problem with trying to define Generation X/Y/*, is that there really hasn't been a focal event since Vietnam/Watergate.  I'm not saying there haven't been important events since 1974, but none of them has universally and uniquely affected a particular cohort.  We have an all-volunteer military, so 9/11 and the Iraq War are not focal events the way Vietnam was for the Baby Boomers.  The Internet explosion was something that was experienced by several generations at once, so that doesn't qualify either.  Also, thanks to the internet, movies, music, TV, etc are no longer really "owned" by any particular generation.  I see balding middle-aged men listening to MGMT, Bon Iver, Belle & Sebastian, John Mayer or Sufjan Stevens on their iPods, e.g., whilst teenagers listen to Black Sabbath, The Velvet Underground, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin or The Beatles.  If you're young, you might ask, "Well what's so strange about that?"  Well, none of my high school teachers listened to AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Police, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson or Madonna, and we certainly never listened to Elvis, Buddy Holly, Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller or The Andrews Sisters!

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/25/09 at 6:35 am

You're right.  It' a Gen-X thing.  I've barely hear a Gen Yer do that.  Maybe it's because there' more going o in ot generation that's more histrorical, or maybe (I might offend someone by saying this) our generartion had a better pop culture to the point that in every conversation, we will throw an old line from an old cartoon or TV show.  I remember important evnts like the Challenger blowing up when I was 9 in '86.  That was a tragedy.  I remember baby Jessica being trapped in the sewer.  To tell you the truth, I think that pop culture shapes a person'e generation because when you get older, you will look back and reminisce.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/25/09 at 6:46 am

I think the whole notion a generation became meaningless after (or perhaps even during) the so-called Baby Boomers. 

The so-called Generations X/Y/Z and the various other divisions like Generation Jones are all based at least in part on popular culture (like what sorts of movies or music or TV people of a certain cohort supposedly watched), which is basically absurd, in my view (as I'll explain in a minute).

Up until the Baby Boomers, each generation was shaped by some sort of cataclysmic event.  For my mother and father (the G.I. Generation), these events were the Great Depression and World War II.  For the Silents, it was the Korean War.  The Baby Boomer generation was shaped by the Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam.  Notice how after more than 30 years, the Vietnam War is still a political lightning rod.

The problem with trying to define Generation X/Y/*, is that there really hasn't been a focal event since Vietnam/Watergate.  I'm not saying there haven't been important events since 1974, but none of them has universally and uniquely affected a particular cohort.  We have an all-volunteer military, so 9/11 and the Iraq War are not focal events the way Vietnam was for the Baby Boomers.  The Internet explosion was something that was experienced by several generations at once, so that doesn't qualify either.  Also, thanks to the internet, movies, music, TV, etc are no longer really "owned" by any particular generation.  I see balding middle-aged men listening to MGMT, Bon Iver, Belle & Sebastian, John Mayer or Sufjan Stevens on their iPods, e.g., whilst teenagers listen to Black Sabbath, The Velvet Underground, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin or The Beatles.  If you're young, you might ask, "Well what's so strange about that?"  Well, none of my high school teachers listened to AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Police, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson or Madonna, and we certainly never listened to Elvis, Buddy Holly, Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller or The Andrews Sisters!

I know right?  My teacher or my father didn't listen to Bobby Brown, Tevin Campbell, Al B Sure, Shanice, TLC, MC Lyte, Queen Latifah, The Boys, New Edition, and I didn't listen to Mandrill, War, Motown, Rufus, Chicago, Genesis, Rolling Stones, Earth, Wind, and Fire at the time when I was a teenager.  I was a teenager in the early 90s, and we didn't have the internet.  I graduated in mid 1995.  Right after I graduated from high school, that's when the internet was exploding, but before then, I didn't know what the hell the internet was until I hit my early 20s.

Written By: soliton on 02/25/09 at 8:29 am

I don't really see much difference between "being around" or "being exposed to" pop culture and "EXPERIENCING" it.  I think a better word might be PARTICIPATE or CREATE.

For example, I was born in 1966.  I definitely EXPERIENCED the 60s and 70s!  Of course, I experienced it in a very different way than someone born in 1950, but I certainly experienced it nevertheless.  Is it an accident that my favorite music is from the 60s and 70s?  The first song I ever heard in my life was probably a Beatles song.  Or maybe Jefferson Airplane.  My sister was a big Airplane fan.  The first film I ever saw was 2001, released in 1968.  It had a profound influence on me; two decades later I majored in physics.  I experienced the polyester fad in the 70s when I wore really hot and itchy polyester T-shirts.  I could go on and on like this, but the point is that I experienced, and was influenced by, the pop culture 60s and 70s.  But my participation was somewhat more limited.  For example, I didn't participate in Woodstock, even though I was born before it. :)

Thank you.  I was doing something, and I didn't get the chance to come back here, so I have to cancel my account.  I miss ya'll too! :)

I believe that experiences, values, and attitudes  has lot to do with the age and the year you were born .

I tend to think that while age is a factor, the environment you were raised in can be even more important: your family, community, religion, ethnic background, socio-economic etc.

Perhaps one defining aspect of Generation X is it's sheer diversity.  This is reflected in the way the media has confusingly portrayed us.  I remember how one TV piece painted us as a bunch of little proto-yuppies.  Another one as a bunch of slackers.  We're closer to our parents.  We're more distant.  We're more conservative.  We're more liberal.  We follow traditional values.  We reject traditional morality.  We're disrespectful of authority.  We don't challenge authority enough.  We whine too much and demand too much.  We're too passive and silent.  WHICH IS IT?  ???

Like say a baby boomer for instance.  I use my father as an example.  My father is a baby boomer (1951), and his experiences, values, and attitudes are different from mines since I'm an Xer.  When he was a preteen and a teenager in the 1960s, Motown was hitting it big, and he EXPERIENCED it because that's his era.  My father's generation was the 1960s and early to mid 70s.  I believe that you start EXPERIENCING pop culture for the first time once you start entering junior high school (6th to 8th grade).  There's a difference between EXPERIENCING pop culture and just being around it.  Like me, I didn't EXPERIENCE pop culture until I hit my preteens (11-12 years old).  Before then I was just being around it.   When I was 9, I wanted to be like Janet Jackson.  When I was 8, I had a Michael Jackson doll, but other than that,  I didn't give a damn about what's going on except cartoons, toys, TV shows, and what have you.  I'm talking about music, movies, concerts, parties, etc.  It wasn't until I entered middle school that I really EXPERIENCE pop culture, and it was the late 80s.  The late 80s (1988-1989), 90s, and the early 2000s (2000-2002) is my era.

I definitely like The Supremes, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Jackson 5.  People at my end of Generation-X heard much of this music when it was still new, and I think many of us regard it as part of our lives.  But the youngest end of Generation-X is more likely to think of all this music as from a previous era.  That's why I think defining generations in terms of popular culture is problematic.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/09 at 9:09 am

There are actual symptoms?  ;D

For me, it was growning up as a kid, on a steady diet of Fraggle Rock, The Muppet Show, The A-Team, and Knight Rider, on TV.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/25/09 at 5:11 pm

There are actual symptoms?  ;D

For me, it was growning up as a kid, on a steady diet of Fraggle Rock, The Muppet Show, The A-Team, and Knight Rider, on TV.

Thank you for answering my question.  That's the main topic that I'm trying to get across.  For me, it's Jem, Smurfs, She-Ra, Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, The Muppet Show, A-Team, Fraggle Rock, Alvin and the Chipmunks, going to my first New Jack Swing concert in 1989, wearing biker shorts, watching Looney Tunes, The Cosby Show, A Different World, Mr. Belvedere, Small Wonder, Transformers, Tom and Jerry, Punky Brewster, Kids Incorporated, etc.

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/25/09 at 7:32 pm

In a pop-culture sense, for me it was plenty of Smurfs, JEM, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, The Facts of Life, Family Ties, Madonna, Duran Duran, Michael Jackson, Guess (brand) t-shirts, and those acid-washed jeans!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...