inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's bound to happen.... I guess, Part 1

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/26/09 at 8:46 am

Apparently, a remake of The Neverending Story, is being planned, seriously.\

Some which emo band, will doing the theme song, for the film?

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=12245

Oddly enough, Leonardo DeCaprio, can be thanked for the idea of the remake, since his company's co producing it.

"This is the greatest case of false advertising I've seen since I sued the movie The Never Ending Story."

Subject: Re: It's bound to happen.... I guess, Part 1

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/26/09 at 9:02 am

Even more oddly, I mentioned to my friend/roomate, that before I went to bed last night, that I thinking to myself, "Quick, what is the last film, they will ever remake?  With my luck, it will be The Neverending Story."

His response?

"You should keep your thoughts to yourself, more often."

;D

Written By: Tia on 02/26/09 at 9:05 am

i have to admit the remake fad makes me kinda irritated. so many people writing scripts out there, and it's hollywood's job to make movies out of stories that reflect our times. like, what if they'd spent the entire 60s remaking casablanca and citizen kane? when people think back on the 2000s they're gonna be like, "right, that was the decade that had no ideas of its own, right? can't say i know much about it."

Written By: Tia on 02/26/09 at 9:06 am

furthermore, does anyone even remember neverending story or total recall? i actually saw total recall again recently, it's a mildly amusing movie but mostly mediocre. i mean spiderman and star wars and big ticket products i can see, they remake and adapt in hollywood so much because it looks good on paper, known properties have some recognition value already baked in. but neverending story? that's pretty obscure, man.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/26/09 at 11:42 am

Actually, I loved the Neverending Story when I was little - the dragon looked just like my dog.  (I know that's weird...but it's true.)  Plus I had a mad 8 year old crush on the the main guy - Atreyu. (sp?)  But like I've said a million times, I absolutely detest remakes.  Hate their guts.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/26/09 at 11:46 am

Actually, I loved the Neverending Story when I was little - the dragon looked just like my dog.  (I know that's weird...but it's true.)  Plus I had a mad 8 year old crush on the the main guy - Atreyu. (sp?)  But like I've said a million times, I absolutely detest remakes.  Hate their guts.

I had a crush on him too! :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/26/09 at 11:52 am

he's still pretty cute too...

http://noahhathaway.humanarchives.org/media/cache/noah_hathaway250.jpg

Written By: Satish on 02/26/09 at 2:14 pm

Well, The Neverending Story was originally published as a novel by the German writer Michael Ende in 1979, so the 1984 movie version was not the first incarnation of the story. Ende actually tried suing the movie's producers for deviating too far from the novel.

Since the 1984 movie wasn't the first telling of the story, I guess I don't have any problem with them taking another shot at doing a film version of it. Maybe this time, they'll be more faithful to the novel.

Many classic stories have been re-told several times on the screen. Just look at all the film versions of the Robin Hood story that have been made over the years. There was the 1938 movie with Errol Flynn, the 1991 movie with Kevin Costner, etc....

Written By: Dagwood on 02/26/09 at 2:38 pm

he's still pretty cute too...

http://noahhathaway.humanarchives.org/media/cache/noah_hathaway250.jpg

Hello....he is still pretty damn fine.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/26/09 at 2:43 pm

Hello....he is still pretty damn fine.

Wow...yeah he is. 

Written By: karen on 02/26/09 at 4:03 pm

Many classic stories have been re-told several times on the screen. Just look at all the film versions of the Robin Hood story that have been made over the years. There was the 1938 movie with Errol Flynn, the 1991 movie with Kevin Costner, etc....

I think the difference there is it's a "classic" story as opposed to something that's only 20 or so years old

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/26/09 at 8:10 pm

I used to love Neverending Story when I was 8 years old.  I didn't see it in the movies, but I saw it a year later on tape in 1986.  I like the theme song of the movie.  I forgot their names, but that song stuck with me ever since I heard that song at 8 years old.  I used to saw the live version of that song on American Bandstand.  I can't believe that they are going to do a remake of that movie.  You think that's bad?  Check this out.  They are going to make a remake of the SMURFS live action!!!! WTF???? :o  There are some thing that you should leave alone and Smurfs are one of them.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/26/09 at 9:36 pm

The song, by the way, was originally sung by Limhal, the ex lead singer for Kajagoogoo.

My greatest fear?

It will be sung by the dude from My Chemical Romance, for the remake.

::)

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/26/09 at 10:26 pm

The song, by the way, was originally sung by Limhal, the ex lead singer for Kajagoogoo.

My greatest fear?

It will be sung by the dude from My Chemical Romance, for the remake.

::)

Thank you.  I was wodering who sang that song back then.

Check for new replies or respond here...