inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Battery Operated Toy from the mid 1980s

Written By: Jeff on 03/01/09 at 11:35 pm

I'm trying to remember what a certain toy I had when I was a kid was called.  The best I can describe it was it was a battery operated car that you would "fill with gas" with a little toy gas pump by inserting it in a hole near the rear window.  This would cause a series of dials or reels on the bottom of the car to spin in one direction, untill the read "FULL".  The motor would then stop.  You would remove the gas nozzle and it would again begin to run, this time the wheels would turn, and the dials or reels would go the other way untill they read "empty" and the car would shut off.  Does anyone remember this, and what it was called or where I could find it again?  One other thing about that car that comes to mind...I'm 99% sure it was red, with tinted windows.  And I think it may have been modeled after a 1975 or later Camaro.  And the little gas pump nozzle had what looked like a barbershop spiral thing in it that also spun when it was inserted into the "filler hole".

Subject: Re: Battery Operated Toy from the mid 1980s

Written By: Frank on 03/01/09 at 11:52 pm

This sounds like some 70's toys (something like Hot wheels) that I had called "Sizzlers", where I'd fill it up and it would go around an oval race track.  But that's not it, is it?

Written By: Jeff on 03/02/09 at 6:06 pm

Hi Frank,

It is similar to the sizzlers, however it was bigger (about the size of an average revell car model), and it wasn't an electrical connection that the gas pump thing did, it was mechanical.  There were no batts in the pump and no recharging or anything, it just simply activated a swich that made the motor go one way, which turned the reels on the bottom but not the wheels, then when it was full you'd take the nozzle out, and the motor would spin the other way, this time both the reels and the wheels turned, till they read "empty" then it shut off.

Written By: Frank on 03/03/09 at 2:38 pm

Hi Frank,

It is similar to the sizzlers, however it was bigger (about the size of an average revell car model), and it wasn't an electrical connection that the gas pump thing did, it was mechanical.  There were no batts in the pump and no recharging or anything, it just simply activated a swich that made the motor go one way, which turned the reels on the bottom but not the wheels, then when it was full you'd take the nozzle out, and the motor would spin the other way, this time both the reels and the wheels turned, till they read "empty" then it shut off.

Hmm, never heard of that..sorry can't help ya

Check for new replies or respond here...