inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vinyl Rules!!!

Written By: RetroExpert1971 on 03/14/09 at 6:38 pm

I just wanted to check if I'm the last person on the planet who still refuse to convert to CDs, I've got something like 6,000 records and maybe 500 7" singles but I still haven't got a single CD, lot's of DVDs though.

Subject: Re: Vinyl Rules!!!

Written By: Davester on 03/14/09 at 9:56 pm

I'll give up my CDs only when they're pried from my cold, dead fingers...

I do have some records, though.  Love the sound of vinyl once in awhile...

Written By: whistledog on 03/14/09 at 10:00 pm

I have since converted to CDs, and have even since converted those CDs to mp3's, but I still do like vinyl

I have over 500 45s, about 200 12" singles and over 300 LPs, many of which are K-Tel and similar compilations

The last record I bought was yesterday:  the 1986 self-titled album by Chantal Condor, one I had for a long time been looking for

Written By: robby76 on 03/14/09 at 11:52 pm

Loved vinyl, but cds are the better of the two. I still have all my vinyl. However digital downloads / mp3s are the worst! It's so unexciting going to itunes and downloading air.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/15/09 at 10:07 am

I liked vinyls, CDs, cassettes, and mp3s.  As long as I;m listening to the music that I liked, it doesn't matter to me.

Written By: snozberries on 03/15/09 at 1:12 pm

I still have some vinyl but I don't like the popping sound.. I prefer CDs

Written By: johnny5alive on 03/15/09 at 4:57 pm

i still think vinyl sounds better than cd! cds are too harsh!  the only problem with vinyl is the popping sounds from overuseage!    i have new cd's that skip and stutter!  so much for the new technology! ::)

Written By: snozberries on 03/15/09 at 5:12 pm

i still think vinyl sounds better than cd! cds are too harsh!  the only problem with vinyl is the popping sounds from overuseage!    i have new cd's that skip and stutter!  so much for the new technology! ::)

usually when I clean my cds they stop skipping

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/15/09 at 7:47 pm

I still love listening to my CD's, vinyl, mp3, and even my old cassettes.....the ones I listen to the most are CD's and mp3, but I'll always love putting a vinyl record on my turntable or pop a cassette in my old boom box.

Written By: johnny5alive on 03/16/09 at 11:03 pm

usually when I clean my cds they stop skipping ,  but they were supposed to be the new technology and indestructable, which is why they were getting rid of albums! ::)

Written By: robby76 on 03/16/09 at 11:08 pm

usually when I clean my cds they stop skipping ,   but they were supposed to be the new technology and indestructable, which is why they were getting rid of albums! ::)

I think cds were more a replacement for cassettes. I mean who didn't hate this...  ;D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_S6slEGoLEz0/R7zUchOti7I/AAAAAAAAAKc/Yct5CHXwYZE/s200/cassette+tape.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 03/16/09 at 11:16 pm

I think cds were more a replacement for cassettes. I mean who didn't hate this...  ;D

seriously

Written By: Davester on 03/16/09 at 11:59 pm

I still have some vinyl but I don't like the popping sound.. I prefer CDs

Too much of the popping sound is a very dirty platter.  Shelling out a few hundred bucks for a record vacum thingamabob ain't gonna happen but I use the solution and brush treatment, I think it's called discwasher.  The results aren't too bad...

Written By: Midas on 03/17/09 at 9:45 am

I have over 2,000 vinyl records.  Most are 12" singles.  The others are albums, 45s, 10" singles and remix service compilations.

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/17/09 at 7:53 pm

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_S6slEGoLEz0/R7zUchOti7I/AAAAAAAAAKc/Yct5CHXwYZE/s200/cassette+tape.jpg

That has happened to a lot of my cassettes!  :\'(  >:(

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/17/09 at 9:32 pm

When you look for vinyl on sites like eBay, one of the things I like about the '80s is the greater availability of single picture sleeves, and occassionally I can get them for as little as 20 cents a single in a large lot! I have over 3,000 45's in my collection, around 500 from the '50s, 600 from the '60s, 900 from the '70s, and over 1,000 from the '80s! 1983 has 181 songs by itself! 1966-1988 tend to be the years that dominate my collection, though I do have a lot from 1955 and 1958 as well. My collection SHARPLY drops off between 1988 and 1991 to reflect the end of the vinyl era; I have over 110 singles from 1988, then down to 68 in 1989, then only 20 from 1990 and just 5 for 1991. The newest 45 I have in my collection is the Rolling Stones 1998 Saint Of Me.

The hard rock groups tend to be a bit more expensive than most mainstream pop; but is a fun, affordable decade to collect!

Written By: robby76 on 03/18/09 at 2:44 am

The favourites in my vinyl collection are the 7" gatefold sleeves. Lots also came with free 'postcards' too. It was a fan's dream!

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/18/09 at 8:00 pm

Just found a vinyl copy of "Vanity 6" at my favorite music store yesterday, along with a 45 RPM of Benjamin Orr's "Stay the Night" single.

Written By: Davester on 03/18/09 at 11:19 pm

Just found a vinyl copy of "Vanity 6" at my favorite music store yesterday, along with a 45 RPM of Benjamin Orr's "Stay the Night" single.

Vinyl copy...not bad.  I snagged a Vanity 6 CD a few months ago.  "Nasty Girl" is such a fun song.  The song is featured in the Betsy Russell movie Private School...

Latest vinyl:  Sun City: Artists United Against Apartheid (sealed copy), Business as Usual - Men at Work (sealed copy), La-Di-Da-Di/The Show 12" - Doug E. Fresh/Slick Rick.  "The Show" I have on a compilation CD but the original version "La-Di-Da-Di" is impossible to find ANYWHERE except on vinyl...

Check for new replies or respond here...