inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's plastic tube building toy set!!

Written By: gottifour on 03/20/09 at 6:18 pm

Hi all. First post here and this is an awesome site. Can anyone help my cousin and I figure out the name of this toys set from the 1980's. It was a bunch of different length and color round hollow plastic tubes about the size of bic pen, maybe a little bigger. There was a bunch of white pieces that you could use to connect them together. 2 ways, 3ways, 4 ways, etc.. There were also little super heroes that came with it (superman,batman,robin,hulk). The guys bent at the knee and basically was just a shape with a sticker on each side with the super heroes image on it. I remember you could build the batmobile with some of the pieces. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Thanks for any help.d

Subject: Re: 80's plastic tube building toy set!!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/21/09 at 3:03 pm

Hi all. First post here and this is an awesome site. Can anyone help my cousin and I figure out the name of this toys set from the 1980's. It was a bunch of different length and color round hollow plastic tubes about the size of bic pen, maybe a little bigger. There was a bunch of white pieces that you could use to connect them together. 2 ways, 3ways, 4 ways, etc.. There were also little super heroes that came with it (superman,batman,robin,hulk). The guys bent at the knee and basically was just a shape with a sticker on each side with the super heroes image on it. I remember you could build the batmobile with some of the pieces. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Thanks for any help.d

Tinker Toys? That's all I can think about right now.

http://www.ultimate80s.com/Images/pop-culture-kids-toys-retro-games/Tinker-Toys-Classic-Construction-Set-md.jpg

Written By: Tania on 04/24/11 at 7:53 am

I think the name was pipeswork, or pipeworks. I had this toy.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/25/11 at 10:34 pm

I was originally thinking Playskool Pipeworks, but those were a lot bigger than a bic pen.

The joining pieces aren't white, but do they look a bit like Konstruk Tubes or Fisher Price's Construx?

Written By: Lewy on 06/22/11 at 1:51 pm

I remember a large 1" yellow tube set, with 2way, 3way T's, 4 ways, "and in rare form" five way connectors. You locked the tubes in with E style clip "which always broke, and the set cam with plastic wheels. You could make carts, cars, and other life size objects. What on earth were these called in the 80's - 90's? I thought that they were called Omego's. Help?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/22/11 at 8:57 pm

I remember a large 1" yellow tube set, with 2way, 3way T's, 4 ways, "and in rare form" five way connectors. You locked the tubes in with E style clip "which always broke, and the set cam with plastic wheels. You could make carts, cars, and other life size objects. What on earth were these called in the 80's - 90's? I thought that they were called Omego's. Help?

That's Link Kit, formerly known as Omagles, the "build anything" toy.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4497042583_e019287d16_o.jpg

...which I found while looking for the original poster's query.  Here's the elusive 5-way connector...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/CarmieJo/DSC_3101.jpg

...accompanied by a rather bemused parrot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/11 at 10:12 pm

Boy, we didn't have no fancy toys like that. 

If we wanted tubes we had to save up the cardboard thingies at the end of the terlet paper!

We was poor in them days, but we was happy!
:D

Written By: Howard on 06/23/11 at 6:29 am

Boy, we didn't have no fancy toys like that. 

If we wanted tubes we had to save up the cardboard thingies at the end of the terlet paper!

We was poor in them days, but we was happy!
:D

What about Tyco toys did you have any of those? ???

Written By: MB on 08/30/11 at 2:10 pm

You can find those on this site here... www.toobeez.com

Check for new replies or respond here...