inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Trees (Dane Conover)

Written By: sleepconvention on 03/26/09 at 1:16 pm

Hi all. Brand new to inthe00s. Did a search and found nothing at all here in the MBs on the grossly underrated and overlooked 1981 LP on MCA "SLEEP CONVENTION" by TREES. Dane Conover was the brains and brawn behind this act, which came about after the split of San Diego's "Puppies". Kim Foley brought Dane and Earle Mankey together to create this gem of an album. If you haven't heard it, you're seriously missing a seminal work...one that stands out in my collection as one of the best 80's synthpop discs ever. You may have seen music videos on MTV or VH1 that were cobbled together for a few of the tracks off this album ("Come Back", "Shock of the New", "Delta Sleep", "India" -- which are all on YouTube, under Dane's personal pages there, so go find them!). Simply awesome. Gratefully, I am now friends with Dane. He and his lovely wife Marisa live up in the Sierra Nevada mountains above Sacramento, CA, and they're still pumping out the tunes. You can check out some of Dane's really terrific recent material submitted to the RPM Challenge (rpmchallenge.com). So, I ask...who else has this LP in their collection? Who else loves it as much as I do?! Let's hear from ya!  -Chris

Check for new replies or respond here...