inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Funkmasters - I can't believe it's over (1983)

Written By: lateadopter on 03/26/09 at 7:02 pm

Hey 00s:

I just found this in the arvhives (see below):

Here is a link to the 1983 Funkmasters song " I can't believe it's over" online, in case you are reading after the fact:

http://www.imeem.com/people/RYAV_R/music/JpfIQPSb/tw-funkmasters-i-cant-believe-its-over/

Subject: Re: IT'S OVER, FROM 1983.....I think???
Written By: 80smusicfreak on 02/04/03 at 05:57 p.m.

Quoting:
Hi,
� first time here, so be gentle with me.. ;D

Anyhoo, I was wonderng if anybody can tel me who sang a song from the Summer of 1983...I think, that was the year???
It was called "It's Over"......I believe!

It was sung by a girl group, a one hit wonder, I think.

It anybody can let me know that would be great, thanks loads. 8)

Keven.
End Quote

Your memory serves you well. :-) Your "mystery song" is "It's Over" by Funk Masters, a major hit in the U.K. in, yes, the Summer of '83. (It failed to chart here in the U.S.) They were indeed one-hit wonders. They were a male/female group from London, and yes, the song featured the female lead vocals of Juliet Roberts...

Subject: Re: Funkmasters - I can't believe it's over (1983)

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/09 at 8:06 pm

Juliet Roberts, as in the same singer from the 90s who had a hit with 'I Want You'?  I did not know this, but super cool indeed 8)

'It's Over' by Funkmasters is one of my favourite 80s songs that didn't chart in North America.  It was successfully covered in the 90s by the group Clock, whose version was very good, but nothing could top Funkmasters

Written By: Paul on 03/27/09 at 3:12 pm

Memories of the long, hot summer of 1983 with that one...

(Well, the summer was long and hot in Britain that year! A rarity in itself!  :D)

One of those songs which, puzzingly, tends not to crop up on many CD compilations...

Written By: lateadopter on 06/09/09 at 6:35 pm

Paul - Yes, it was a long hot U.K. summer in 1983. Thanks for that! This song actually did evoke emotions pertaining to that period. Gee, you and I must be the same age, dude! (37)
P.s. This song was on one compilation because a friend lent it to me at the time. Anyway a rarity...

Written By: Paul on 06/10/09 at 6:41 am

Gee, you and I must be the same age, dude! (37)

Not quite...I'm soon-to-be 42!  :P

P.s. This song was on one compilation because a friend lent it to me at the time. Anyway a rarity...

It was originally available on several compilations from the time ('Streetsounds #5' for the full-length version and a rather butchered version on a Ronco LP!), but rare as hen's teeth on CD...heaven knows who's got the master for it... ???

The mp3 I have of it is a disk-dub, but a very good one at that...

Written By: lateadopter on 06/23/09 at 4:48 pm

We all know 42 is the answer to life, the universe and...well let's leave it at that Paul!

Written By: zcrito on 06/23/09 at 7:46 pm

I've never heard this one before. Good song.
I wonder why it didn't make it on the MTV video rotation back in '83?
I'm not sure, but if it didn't, it may be because they didn't have a video? No video, no MTV.

Written By: lateadopter on 10/16/09 at 2:34 am

Hey I just found the whole 9 yards on YouTube, complete with lesser-known facrs courtesy of the comment threads!
lateadopter!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GWPGlGoRYw&feature=related

Written By: lateadopter on 10/16/09 at 2:38 am

And Paul, will you let loose your dub version of this one? 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...