inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ishtar?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/06/09 at 9:10 pm

Hi Everyone!

Okay, as many of you know, I love watching old movies from the 80s, especially the silly flops like Howard the Duck. Anyway, I keep hearing about a movie called Ishtar. I've heard people say that it's just terrible and al mess.

Why is the movie supposedly so bad? What makes it so bad?

I'm just curious.

Thank you!

Subject: Re: Ishtar?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/06/09 at 9:24 pm

!)  Bad dialogue.

2) Forgetable songs.

3) Both actors look like they would rather somewhere else.

4) It was also vastly over budgeted, as well,  to $30 million dollars.

It made only $14,375,181 in North American box office receipts.

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/09 at 9:33 pm

Two lounge singers traveling on a camel across the Morocan desert get caught in the middle of a war standoff.  Sounds like a goldmine right?  Warren Beatty sure thought so when he produced and starred in it.  I liked the film, but many did not and it was one of the biggest box office bombs of the 80s

That same year, Beatty executive produced a film titled 'The Pick-Up Artist' which screen tested so bad, that he had his executive producer credit removed from promotion of the film, apparently to avoid having his name connected to two box office bombs in the same year LOL

Written By: anabel on 04/06/09 at 9:45 pm

Awwwww, I liked The Pick Up Artist!  Ok, I only saw it because Robert Downey Jr was in it and I'll see anything he's in, but I still liked it.

To me, I think the chemistry between the cast has to be there or it's no good.  There are movies I have seen that I thought different actors would have been so much better in, and that ruins it for me.

There has to be thing thing called a PLOT.  There has to be a good reason why all these people are thrown together in this story. I don't just believe in a movie because I'm supposed to.  If there's no point to the movie, I'm gone.    (unless Robert Downey Jr is in it  ;))

Also, when a movie is hyped as being the greatest movie ever, and it's obviously not, after the first week, word gets around if it sucks, then you get the bad box office.  That sends it to dvd too fast and you lose the audience, then no one care about it and it goes into oblivion.

Written By: robby76 on 04/06/09 at 11:14 pm

This film was dire! We rented it in 1989 and it lived up to all the bad rep.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/08/09 at 6:14 am

At least it did better then Heavens Gate did.

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/09 at 8:17 pm

At least it did better then Heavens Gate did.

Heaven's Gate still holds the record as the biggest box office bomb of the 80s

Check for new replies or respond here...