inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst movie in the 1980's

Written By: Mushroom on 04/12/09 at 2:56 am

I am curious, what is the worst movie you saw in the 1980's.

I mean so bad, you could not even stand to finish watching it.  So horrible, you considered the $5 you paid a waste of money, and staying a minute longer a waste of sanity.

For me, that is only one movie.  A stinker called The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik-Yak.

I was bored and at a local theatre so decided to walk in and see this movie I had only seen brief tv commercials on.  What a mistake.  It was billed as a kind of sexy Indiana Jones.  But it came off like a mess that no amount of T&A in the world could help.

I think the final straw came when I saw girls wearing leather straps harnessed to a chariot.  Right after that I got up and walked out.  I have no idea how it ended, nor do I care.

Subject: Re: Worst movie in the 1980's

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/09 at 7:09 am

'Subway' starring Christopher Lambert

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/09 at 2:54 pm

I see and raise you, Mac and Me!

;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/09 at 3:46 pm

I see you, and raise you 'Surf Nazis Must Die' ...

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/roybott87/185167Surf-Nazis-Must-Die-Posters.jpg

Written By: Frank on 04/12/09 at 5:00 pm

Paris, Texas

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 12:14 am

To who much is given, much will be expected, so I give you:

REDS

8-P

Written By: Davester on 04/13/09 at 12:45 am

Red Sonja and King Solomon's Mines, both from 1985...

I don't know which is worse.  With KSM I was looking for an Indiana Jones fix...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/13/09 at 12:58 am

I hope Tia doesn't hate me, but Meatballs Part II was pretty bad

Written By: robby76 on 04/13/09 at 1:18 am

I liked Red Sonja and Mac & Me was watchable. I was only young though.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/13/09 at 1:23 am

Red Sonja    

it is kinda bad, but I don't understand why I've seen it so many times, and if it comes on, I'd probably watch it  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 04/13/09 at 5:13 am

Red Sonja and King Solomon's Mines, both from 1985...

I don't know which is worse.  With KSM I was looking for an Indiana Jones fix...

Man, KSM was awesome.  But the sequel 'Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold' was even better

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 9:44 am

I hope Tia doesn't hate me, but Meatballs Part II was pretty bad
naw, i'd have to agree. kim richards couldn't even save it, though she struggled valiantly.

Written By: Davester on 04/13/09 at 11:25 am

it is kinda bad, but I don't understand why I've seen it so many times, and if it comes on, I'd probably watch it   :-\\

Man, KSM was awesome.  But the sequel 'Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold' was even better

I'll be damned if I can remember much from either of these.  I wouldn't call them bad movies, just not that good.  Or at least that's my impression, that was such a long time ago...

More recently I watched Mel Brooks' To Be Or Not To Be again, after 26 years, and I'm here to say that it's not very good either.  Back in the day I wasn't as hard to please, comes to movies...

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 11:31 am

i think brooks had totally jumped the shark by the 80s. i know a lot of people liked spaceballs but that movie made me want to lash out in rage.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 4:57 pm

i think brooks had totally jumped the shark by the 80s. i know a lot of people liked spaceballs but that movie made me want to lash out in rage.

Yeah, but it was as awful as "Robin Hood: Men In Tights" or his spoof of Dracula, which I think went straight to video!
::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 4:59 pm

Big Trouble in Little China
The High Road to China
Shanghai Surprise

Written By: whistledog on 04/13/09 at 5:04 pm

I'll be damned if I can remember much from either of these.  I wouldn't call them bad movies, just not that good.  Or at least that's my impression, that was such a long time ago...

The funny thing about King Solomon's Mines was that Raiders of the Lost Ark was based on the original KSM novel.  and when Indiana Jones became so popular, it inspired KSM to be remade, complete with John Williams style adventure music as compsed by someone else lol

Written By: Davester on 04/13/09 at 6:08 pm

The funny thing about King Solomon's Mines was that Raiders of the Lost Ark was based on the original KSM novel.  and when Indiana Jones became so popular, it inspired KSM to be remade, complete with John Williams style adventure music as compsed by someone else lol

No kiddin'..?

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 6:57 pm

i sorta liked big trouble in little china. definitely had its problems but a decidedly odd film. you have to at least recognize that there is no other like it.

i always thought buckaroo banzai was a bit overrated.

Written By: barry on 04/13/09 at 7:44 pm

Heartbeeps (1981) - starring Andy Kaufman and Bernadette Peters

I remember watching this movie on cable TV, when I was 10 years old. Even at 10, I thought, "Wow, this is not very good... AT ALL!"

You could put a video camera on the shoulder of a highway and just shoot 80 minutes of cars driving by. Even THAT would be more fun to watch than Heartbeeps!  ;D

There's a good review of it here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 10:23 pm

i sorta liked big trouble in little china. definitely had its problems but a decidedly odd film. you have to at least recognize that there is no other like it.

i always thought buckaroo banzai was a bit overrated.

I agree on Buckaroo.  People try to pass it off as a "cult film," but it's still doesn't cut it.  Same thing with Dr. Detroit (1983), even Dan Aykroyd couldn't save that one. 

If you like "Big Trouble in Little China," lemme guess...you also like Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985) starring Fred Ward, who would later do an abysmal job portraying Henry Miller in the Abysmal "Henry and June" (1990)

Others for the '80s sh*t list:

National Lampoon's Class Reunion (1983)
O.C. and Stiggs (1985)

NatLamp should have hung it up after the original "Vacation."

Leonard: Part Six

In conjunction with with "Ghost Dad," people figured out Bill Cosby's movies weren't very good, but they'll never agree with me that "The Cosby Show" sucked dead donkey dongs too!
:P

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 11:26 pm

I agree on Buckaroo.  People try to pass it off as a "cult film," but it's still doesn't cut it.  Same thing with Dr. Detroit (1983), even Dan Aykroyd couldn't save that one. 

If you like "Big Trouble in Little China," lemme guess...you also like Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985) starring Fred Ward, who would later do an abysmal job portraying Henry Miller in the Abysmal "Henry and June" (1990)

Others for the '80s sh*t list:

National Lampoon's Class Reunion (1983)
O.C. and Stiggs (1985)

NatLamp should have hung it up after the original "Vacation."

Leonard: Part Six

In conjunction with with "Ghost Dad," people figured out Bill Cosby's movies weren't very good, but they'll never agree with me that "The Cosby Show" sucked dead donkey dongs too!

I LOVE AND IDOLIZE REMO WILLIAMS

I ALSO LOVE AND IDOLIZE HENRY AND JUNE

on the rest of that i got nothing but you're cuttin' to the quick of me not likin' those two films. next you're gonna be telling me you don't like unbearable lightness of being or the remake of the invasion of the body snatchers. or the last dragon.

Written By: Davester on 04/14/09 at 1:10 am

Young Frankenstein it was definately not...

Written By: Tia on 04/14/09 at 9:51 am

Young Frankenstein it was definately not...
spaceballs did NOT have an enormous schvannschtükker.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/15/09 at 9:53 pm

IMHO, this one is sincerely awful.  :-\\  I could watch any of the previously named bad movies to avoid watching Popeye

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0206ZneZJKmcAffWjzbkF/SIG=12ha31ke1/EXP=1239936793/**http%3A//www.retrojunk.com/img/art-images/popeyemovieposter.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/16/09 at 8:46 am

I love Big Troble In Little China.

What about Ishtar?

Written By: robby76 on 04/16/09 at 9:05 am

Ahhh the elusive Popeye movie! That was my first memory of going to the cinema. Not seen it since then either. Even at 4 years old I figured it was a weird movie. I'd love to see it again though for old times sake.

What about Ishtar?

That was so bad it warranted it's own thread.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/09 at 11:53 pm

I LOVE AND IDOLIZE REMO WILLIAMS

I ALSO LOVE AND IDOLIZE HENRY AND JUNE

"Henry and June" was a YUPPIE movie, man, just like "Nine 1/2 Weeks."  There was more to Henry Miller than screwing around, but you wouldn't know it from that flick.  It turned out to be another opportunity to exploit Anais Nin, Maria de Medeiros cooing zo zexy:
"'oogo is here vis us, but I vant to vug 'enry..."

Anyway, "Nine 1/2 Weeks," the yuppie bondage movie did have an awesome soundtrack:
Bryan Ferry, Eurythmics, Billie Holiday, Brian Eno, JM Jarre, Devo...

Written By: Davester on 04/22/09 at 12:42 am

"Henry and June" was a YUPPIE movie, man, just like "Nine 1/2 Weeks."  There was more to Henry Miller than screwing around, but you wouldn't know it from that flick.  It turned out to be another opportunity to exploit Anais Nin, Maria de Medeiros cooing zo zexy:

Anyway, "Nine 1/2 Weeks," the yuppie bondage movie did have an awesome soundtrack:
Bryan Ferry, Eurythmics, Billie Holiday, Brian Eno, JM Jarre, Devo...

I love and idolize 9½ Weeks...

Written By: Frank on 04/22/09 at 12:48 am

I love and idolize 9½ Weeks...

Yeh, 9 1/2 weeks was a good film. Liked it too.

Written By: Tia on 04/23/09 at 6:06 am

well, there's more to anybody than will fit in a two- three-hour biopic. i thought the movie was more about the dynamics of love triangles than about henry miller and anais nin's literary and celebrity career per se.

wouldn't a yuppie movie be something more like "Wall street"? or just about any 80s flick with michael j. fox in it? and also, not necessarily a bad thing, particularly given how topical a subject it was? i dont remember seeing too many yuppies in H&J.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/09 at 11:13 am

Don't Go Into The Woods-and the tag line should be, Don't go and see it. Yes, that's right, we wasted our $ on that one. (Not my idea-my ex-husband decided that this should be a cool movie to go and see.) As you can guess from the title, it was a slasher movie. I couldn't tell you what happened because we walked out of it. I don't think it EVER made it to video. I think it died a very quick death which we all should be grateful for.

Here is what someone at IMDB wrote about it.

Infamously bad - but entertaining!, 10 January 2008
3/10
Author: Nightman from Brentwood, USA

Hikers in the Utah mountains are being sliced 'n' diced by a hulking woodland viking! Who will be left standing??

This little low-budget wilderness killer flick is best known as one of the cheapest and most unintentionally funny entries in the genre. There's no denying that this is a tremendously flawed movie - it's mainly a series of goofy hikers and campers being killed by an even goofier villain. The acting is shabby, the gore is crude, and the 'tension' music score sounds like someone banging their head on a synthesizer. But as poorly executed as the movie is it's certainly not boring!

Don't Go in the Woods is one of those horror cheapies that's so bad you just have to laugh at it. Remember this is the same movie in which a guy in a wheelchair is 'climbing' the mountain - of course he gets to the top only to be whacked. In another great scene Peter waves at a hunter whom he thinks is reacting to him, but the hunter is actually reacting to the killer who is behind Peter! And just wait for that clunky hoot of a theme song in the ending credits!

Don't Go in the Woods may just be the Plan 9 from Outer Space of slasher films. While it's one bad film, it's not without its silly amusements. Don't take it seriously.

* 1/2 out of ****

I might had enjoyed it more if Mike, Tom & Crow were commentating on it. 

Cat

Written By: Satish on 04/23/09 at 11:21 am

There was a futuristic sci-fi movie from 1983 called Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn that I thought was horrible:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085935/

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/24/09 at 6:30 pm

Krull

Nobody's Perfekt

Written By: Claybricks on 05/06/09 at 8:04 pm

This movie has to be in the top 10 worst movies of the 80's lol

Killer Klowns From Outer Space {1988}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_BPcDOjJCc

Dan

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/07/09 at 11:24 am

Caddyshack 2 was a big steaming turd. 

Dan Aykroyd's performance in that movie was so unfunny and annoying that I never really could stand him after that.  :P

Written By: Criz on 05/09/09 at 1:05 pm

The only 80s film I remember thinking, 'oh god this is awful' as I sat through it would be 'St Elmo's Fire'.

Now, I haven't seen it for at least 10 years so I don't know if it's just because I loved all the other Bra tpack films and was expecting it to be excellent, but anyway, I was thoroughly disappointed. One day I will have to attempt to watch it again to see if it's really that bad!

Written By: tstaples on 06/16/09 at 4:52 pm

Wow, I actually liked Buckaroo Banzai (The whole Bigbooty joke was a riot) and Remo Williams. Oh well, it was the 80's.
Maybe I missed it , but I didn't see anyone mention the absolute worst pile of steaming fertilizer of all the 80's.  It was so bad, that this movie's title is now synonymous with a box office flop.  Maybe it was so bad, that everyone has repressed the memory.  It certainly featured the worst songs ever written, which of course, were designed to be the worst songs ever written.

Ishtar!

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/17/09 at 10:20 pm

This movie has to be in the top 10 worst movies of the 80's lol

Killer Klowns From Outer Space {1988}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_BPcDOjJCc

Dan

Nah, have to disagree.
As pure fun, and silly camp, Killer Klowns From Outer Space pretty much set the bar.
It was intentionally made that way (campy/bad) and unlike many others that tried to be bad, but ended up REALLY awful, the movie comes off as a hell of a lot better than others that were "serious" horror flicks of the time (i.e. "Prom Night" anyone?).
Plus the theme music is just damn catchy. 8)

Want a bad movie that was done really bad and ended up even worse than really bad, and TRUMPS all the others mentioned here so far?
BASKET CASE.

I'd do ya one better...LIQUID SKY.

Top that! :D

Check for new replies or respond here...