inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Collecting the '80s on eBay/antique stores

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/15/09 at 8:22 am

One of the things that I have noticed in the past decade is that the value of many items from the '80s is going UP again, and has lots of potential to get even more expensive. For instance, in 1999, 1989 was just 10 years ago so '80s memories were still fairly fresh, but add another 10 years, and we now find that it's been twice as long since the '80s ended, so the decade is indeed becoming vintage. But for the most part, the '80s are still a very affordable decade to collect. Most nice (Mercedes-quality) cars are availale for just around $5000. A common lot of picture sleeve records from the era sell for around 25 cents each in a lot of around 50-100 records. VHS tapes from the era for the most part are also very affordable. However, some items such as rare video games can fetch thousands of dollars, certain magazines have also noticeably appreciated in value, particularly those with famous stars that remain popular. Certain synthesizers and drum machines are also appreciating in value (The Roland TR-808 drum fetches around $2000 now!) What have you noticed in terms of collecting '80s items?

Subject: Re: Collecting the '80s on eBay/antique stores/thrift stores

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/16/12 at 8:53 am

Bump to see if another three years is enough to enthrall collectors of this era. Since my last post, I've noticed more things regarding the value of items made in the '80s:

*Lots of toys from this era have really appreciated in value, especially those still in their original packaging. Just look at popular lines such as GI Joe, Masters on the Universe, and especially Transformers.
*Entertainment memorabilia is increasing for this decade across the board as the target demographic seeks nostalgia, along with the now-vintage styles of certain items such as movie & concert posters as well as other similar merchandise.
*Early personal desktop computers (Apple II, early Macintosh models) seemed to have bottomed out in value sometime around 2005 and are seemingly increasing in value more and more each year, with the very first Apple computer selling for over $200,000 in 2010 likely a trigger for a recent uptick.
*The second hand/thrift stores are still a great place to look for items from the '80s (and the '90s as well) before they disappear over time and become more expensive at antique stores, eBay, and Craigslist. I went to a store where they were selling VHS tapes and cassettes for just A QUARTER EACH! Imagine back in the '80s when decades later you could have paid for just a percent or two of the actual retail value. I find these great buys because you know that these aren't going to get much cheaper.

Subject: Re: Collecting the '80s on eBay/antique stores

Written By: Howard on 07/16/12 at 12:50 pm

I still have my Gameboy from 1989, I have this Simon-like game called Copycat from 1988. I enjoy collecting vintage stuff cause you never know that one day it could be worth something.

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/16/12 at 2:09 pm

I have a blouse that I wore in 1989 to my cousin's 2nd birthday party. It's in excellent condition because I have stored it well all of these years. I'm never giving it away though, lol, so I guess it's my own 80s vintage/antique item!

Written By: midnite on 08/03/12 at 11:39 pm

I'd like to get my hands on a set of Garbage Pail Kids series 1, but don't want to pay $200 for it.  Or some vintage concert t-shirts too, but not sure where to find them.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/12 at 6:35 am

I'd like to get my hands on a set of Garbage Pail Kids series 1, but don't want to pay $200 for it.  Or some vintage concert t-shirts too, but not sure where to find them.

I have a set of old Garbage Pail Kids cards from 25 years ago.

Written By: Stinkyy on 08/04/12 at 9:46 pm

Trapper Keepers running around $60  >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...