inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People forgetting the image '80s artists had at the time?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/25/09 at 1:04 pm

I think alot of people around my age (and certainly younger) sometimes don't know the way alot of things were "in the moment" back then. It's been long enough ago that even the people who clearly remember might've kinda slipped on some of their memories, just because we tend to get used to how things are now when it's all around us.

Like people saying "whoa you mean Michael Jackson was black!" ;D Everyone knows the Thriller and Bad songs, but they might find it hard to think of him personally without his controversial side coming to mind (like just for his dancing and music videos).

Most people now just think of Phil Collins as an AC singer, they might not know or kinda forgot the more dancey pop songs like "Sussudio" (and of course the upbeat Genesis stuff like "Invisible Touch"). Even by the '90s, guys like him and Bryan Adams went from pop to AC anyway.

Another one is Paula being more famous for American Idol, and her music just being kind of an afterthought. When people do know one of her songs, it's usually just "Straight Up"..

Subject: Re: People forgetting the image '80s artists had at the time?

Written By: woops on 04/25/09 at 1:08 pm

Bon Jovi hair metal

Alanis Morrisette as a pop princess, which thankfully forgotten since she probably wouldn't be popular as an alternatice artist

Phil Collins always been AC, IMHO and "Sussudio" seems more mid tempo AC pop.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/25/09 at 1:26 pm

Maybe it is a little bit of a personal perception with Phil. We had the No Jacket Required album when I was a kid, and I remember hearing alot of those songs. Most of them were actually middle to upbeat synthpop. I also think he had some of the best and most creative videos (i.e. with the extra footage, dialogue and storylines going on), so maybe since he was big on MTV that had something to do with it too.

I agree with Bon Jovi (another longtime favorite). Everyone knows "Living on a Prayer" but I can't blame people for still forgetting they were hair metal, he became a country band, LMAO. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/09 at 1:37 pm

Christina Aguilera is around your age, and she's not forgotten the 80s look ...

"We're not gonna take it ... anymore!"

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/021023/151258__christina1_l.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/25/09 at 1:37 pm

BTW on a personal note, sometimes it's a little embarrasing for me since alot of songs I grew up with in the 80s (even 90s too really) are considered adult contemporary now. They were just fun pop songs back then. ;)

I guess that's a matter of perception too - like when alternative-influenced stuff, hip hop and just other more in your face types of music are so common now, a simple pop song would seem soft and even boring in comparison.

Written By: woops on 04/25/09 at 1:54 pm

Slightly off topic, but I'm tired of reading comments about The Killers, Franz Fernidand & The Ting Tings being "original", but they're clearly influenced by '80's new wave.

Also people tend to forget about Beastie Boys since Eminem wasn't the first white rapper nor Vanilla Ice.

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/09 at 7:08 pm

Slightly off topic, but I'm tired of reading comments about The Killers, Franz Fernidand & The Ting Tings being "original", but they're clearly influenced by '80's new wave.

Also people tend to forget about Beastie Boys since Eminem wasn't the first white rapper nor Vanilla Ice.

The Beastie Boys weren't even the first white guys to tackle rap music either

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/09 at 12:47 am

I'll tell you what.  Go back 23 years.  1986  My sister and I bought each other Depeche Mode tickets for our birthdays for the Black Celebration tour.  Our birthdays are 364 days apart, you see.  Depeche Mode was opening the tour in Boston on 6/01/86. 

Depeche Mode was this strange artsy band from the UK and they were one of a handful of bands that were all-electronic, and by far the biggest.  However, in spite of having a top 20 hit with "People are People," DM was still largely unknown by the hoi poloi.  They were a "college rock" alternative band. 

So, OK, go back in time.  First you'd have to explain to me who Jimmy Kimmel would be.  Then you'd have to show me the concert on the streets of L.A. presented by 48-year-old David Gahan, Martin Gore, Andy Fletcher in which an evening talk show host shut down streets in L.A. so Depeche Mode could play to celebrate the release of their new album.  Tell me they were getting along fine without Alan Wilder, they were using acoustic drums and electric guitars, and the scene was mobbed.  DM would be out with their 12th studio album, and they'd see as many line-up changes as had the Rolling Stones!

I wouldn't believe you any more than if you told me Schwarzenegger was governor! 

It was not until Post-101 and Violator that DM became totally mainstream in the U.S.

And yet...there it is to this day!

What would not have surprised me is the wonderful artsy synth pop band opening for DM on the '86 tour, Book of Love, who took cues from both DM and Yellow Magic Orchestra, would have a string of fairly successful records and then sort of fade away...
::) ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/09 at 1:10 am

Ministry.

Do not let anybody, especially Al Jourgensen's fans or Al himself tell you that Al Jourgensen was anything less than a cultivator and creator of his own funky, edgy synth-pop style he developed to get famous between "I'm Falling" and "The Nature of Love."  That boy disowned it every chance he got from 1985 onward.  He finally got sick of talking about it in the late '90s, but the retired Al still goes on a tear about it from time to time.  Make no mistake.  "With Sympathy" was Al's record.  He was very dictatorial to session musicians and engineers about what could and could not be when they were putting the album together in Boston in 1982.  Then he made his money and bankrolled the complete sh*t he REALLY wanted to do and has only retired from in the last six months.  Al is a control freak.  He insisted Ministry market themselves as a "cyanide candy" synth-pop band.  He controlled the sound.  He controlled the image.  Anybody challenged Al and he threw a hissy fit.  Certainly producers such as Vince Ely molded the Ministry the "With Sympathy" way but that IS what Al wanted.

Whether you were introduced to Ministry in 1981, 1982, 1983, or 1984, what you were introduced to was an Al Jourgensen creation from start to finish.  No bossy record executives made them don ridiculous hair-dos and suits.  There was plenty of raging screaming guitar punk--metal crossover bands belting it out in the early '80s like you see in post-"Twitch" Ministry.  However, what was really soaring up the charts in 1982 and 1983 were bands like Human League, Soft Cell, Culture Club, and Thompson Twins.  It was the second generation British Invasion, and Al, an astute businessman when he's sober, didn't want to miss out!

I hope before he dies, he'll stop lying to himself, and be proud of his great contribution to early '80s synth-pop/dance funk!

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/pop_artists/DRP000/P082/P08247A091L.jpg

Written By: Midas on 04/28/09 at 9:23 am

Ministry.

Do not let anybody, especially Al Jourgensen's fans or Al himself tell you that Al Jourgensen was anything less than a cultivator and creator of his own funky, edgy synth-pop style he developed to get famous between "I'm Falling" and "The Nature of Love."  That boy disowned it every chance he got from 1985 onward.  He finally got sick of talking about it in the late '90s, but the retired Al still goes on a tear about it from time to time.  Make no mistake.  "With Sympathy" was Al's record.  He was very dictatorial to session musicians and engineers about what could and could not be when they were putting the album together in Boston in 1982.  Then he made his money and bankrolled the complete sh*t he REALLY wanted to do and has only retired from in the last six months.  Al is a control freak.  He insisted Ministry market themselves as a "cyanide candy" synth-pop band.  He controlled the sound.  He controlled the image.  Anybody challenged Al and he threw a hissy fit.  Certainly producers such as Vince Ely molded the Ministry the "With Sympathy" way but that IS what Al wanted.

Whether you were introduced to Ministry in 1981, 1982, 1983, or 1984, what you were introduced to was an Al Jourgensen creation from start to finish.  No bossy record executives made them don ridiculous hair-dos and suits.  There was plenty of raging screaming guitar punk--metal crossover bands belting it out in the early '80s like you see in post-"Twitch" Ministry.  However, what was really soaring up the charts in 1982 and 1983 were bands like Human League, Soft Cell, Culture Club, and Thompson Twins.  It was the second generation British Invasion, and Al, an astute businessman when he's sober, didn't want to miss out!

I hope before he dies, he'll stop lying to himself, and be proud of his great contribution to early '80s synth-pop/dance funk!

He ain't got time for what you feel.

:D

Written By: johnny5alive on 04/28/09 at 11:00 am

frankly i never heard of Al Jourgensen!

Written By: Midas on 04/28/09 at 11:19 am

frankly i never heard of Al Jourgensen!

You need more input.  :D

Written By: woops on 04/29/09 at 1:52 am

ZZ Top was around in the 1970's, though most are more familiar with their 80's hits

Check for new replies or respond here...