inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Play At Your Own Risk" by Planet Soul

Written By: tv on 04/30/09 at 4:46 pm

The song sounds like it samples snippets from "Planet Rock" by rapper Afrika Bambatta.  Was "Play At Your Own Risk" a really popular song in the 80's because its an underrated 80's song to me that should get more respect. "Play At Your Own Risk" was probably to the 80's as the 00's were to the song "Check Your Coat" by O'Neal McKnight and Greg Nice in that neither songs get any respect.

Subject: Re: "Play At Your Own Risk" by Planet Patrol

Written By: Midas on 04/30/09 at 4:53 pm

The song sounds like it samples snippets from "Planet Rock" by rapper Afrika Bambatta.  Was "Play At Your Own Risk" a really popular song in the 80's because its an underrated 80's song to me that should get more respect. "Play At Your Own Risk" was probably to the 80's as the 00's were to the song "Check Your Coat" by O'Neal McKnight and Greg Nice in that neither songs get any respect.

The artist name is actually Planet Patrol.  "Play At Your Own Risk" was popular in clubs and with breakdancers at the time.  The beats/bassline for PAYOR is taken from "Planet Rock".

Subject: Re: "Play At Your Own Risk" by Planet Soul

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/09 at 7:09 pm

'Planet Rock' was only a minor hit, originally charting at UK #58 (1982), and re-charting at UK #85 (1984).  In Canada, it reached CAN #45 (1982) and in the US, it reached US #48 (1982).  Despite this, it was still popular and is highly credited as the song that introduced Electro and paved the way for House, Techno and Trance

Thank you Soul Sonic Force 8)

Subject: Re: "Play At Your Own Risk" by Planet Soul

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/30/09 at 9:37 pm

This song was HUGE in New York!  You could not get away from it!  It's still widely regarded around here and will get everyone up and dancing!

Subject: Re: "Play At Your Own Risk" by Planet Patrol

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/01/09 at 10:48 pm

The artist name is actually Planet Patrol.  "Play At Your Own Risk" was popular in clubs and with breakdancers at the time.  The beats/bassline for PAYOR is taken from "Planet Rock".

Damn, and I thought I was the only one who remembered Planet Patrol!  The B-side was the instrumental, "Rock At Your Own Risk"

Check for new replies or respond here...