inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was the 80's when racism calmed down dramatically?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/09 at 1:16 pm

When I first think of the 1950's I think of extreme racism and how white America was then (no offense to caucasians), when I think of the 60's I think of the civil rights movement, but it took about 20 years for racism to calm down. The 1970's was no different, despite tons of black artists in pop music, the outside world was different. We were still somewhat racists in the 1970's.

But then I think of the 1980's and I realized how when I think of the 80's I don't really think of racism. If you watched movies you can see some movies and tv where whites are friends with blacks and other races.

I know there will always be racism, but what I'm trying to say is that you hear alot about racism in 1950's-1970's, but not a lot about the 1980's!

Subject: Re: Was the 80's when racism calmed down dramatically?

Written By: Bree on 05/04/09 at 1:21 pm

What about  "Do The Right Thing"?

Written By: Davester on 05/04/09 at 2:38 pm

While not nearly as bad as the fifties, there was more of a distinction between the "white" and "black" cultures.  They were a little less integrated compared with today.  I mean "a little".  Around here, on the left coast, there was a huge influx of immigrants that decade and the schools reflected the change.  It's possible the coasts experienced multiculturalism sooner, and faster, than the heartland...

In high school we still joked about immigrants, and still eyed interracial couples with suspicion, but things were changing fast...

Anyone agree..?

Written By: snozberries on 05/04/09 at 5:55 pm

When I think of 80s tv there were very few people of color on the screen.... a few exception were the "salt/pepper" crime teams and welll 21 Jump Street... but if you think about it...when you saw blacks on tV they were either in gangs, break dancing or playing sports...

Pretty much racism fell away but stereotyping was alive and well.....

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/04/09 at 7:14 pm

When I think of 80s tv there were very few people of color on the screen.... a few exception were the "salt/pepper" crime teams and welll 21 Jump Street... but if you think about it...when you saw blacks on tV they were either in gangs, break dancing or playing sports...

Actually, I remember many shows in the eighties depicting people of color, including:
Amen
even Night Court (I loved Roz & Mac)

I always thought of that period of time as really having opened things up.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/05/09 at 6:55 am

I can remember in the fifties if a black person was on television(not being firehosed trying to vote) we would run in just to see.  "Ma look!  A black person on tv!" ....breaking a dish as she ran in to see this phenomenon.  If you think I am exaggerating ask someone over 50( or maybe 55). 

Written By: robby76 on 05/05/09 at 7:25 am

Now I know they were considered watered-down by some quarters, but The Cosbys were no 1 in the ratings year on year. Michael Jackson was also the epitome of the 80s. Both very black and both at the top of their respective fields. Oprah also hit it big back then, as did Whitney.

As for the topic, I'd say every decade gets better with racism - though sometimes it re-invents itself (like post 9/11 Arab phobia).

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/05/09 at 12:33 pm

1979-1980 were really the last time a signficant amount of people didn't like blacks, and may be part of the reason why disco "died" since the majority of its artists were black; even early MTV had discrimination against blacks and if you look at old Billboard MTV playlists from 1981-early 1983, you will see pratically NO black artists on their playlists.

For several years in the '80s, many mainstream black entertainers would dress/blend in with the whites to completely make the color line less distinctive, and this formula worked well for a time. But many blacks felt that their culture was becoming too "white". This reaction along with the calmer social enviornment led to the rise of rap to the mainstream as considering how much people would accepts black culture, they were free to do whatever they felt was cool, so having racism finally done allowed for the hip-hop culture to really establish itself.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/05/09 at 12:49 pm

1979-1980 were really the last time a signficant amount of people didn't like blacks, and may be part of the reason why disco "died" since the majority of its artists were black;
???

so having racism finally done

???

Written By: Claybricks on 05/05/09 at 6:41 pm

Eddie Murphy investigated this subject in 1978...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/10356/saturday-night-live-white-like-me

Dan

Written By: 80sfan on 05/05/09 at 7:31 pm

Eddie Murphy investigated this subject in 1978...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/10356/saturday-night-live-white-like-me

Dan

So in 1978, it was still very racist!  ::)

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/05/09 at 9:53 pm

1979-1980 were really the last time a signficant amount of people didn't like blacks, and may be part of the reason why disco "died" since the majority of its artists were black; even early MTV had discrimination against blacks and if you look at old Billboard MTV playlists from 1981-early 1983, you will see pratically NO black artists on their playlists.

For several years in the '80s, many mainstream black entertainers would dress/blend in with the whites to completely make the color line less distinctive, and this formula worked well for a time. But many blacks felt that their culture was becoming too "white". This reaction along with the calmer social environment led to the rise of rap to the mainstream as considering how much people would accepts black culture, they were free to do whatever they felt was cool, so having racism finally done allowed for the hip-hop culture to really establish itself.

???  ::)
Wha?
If you're going to look back at the 80's, the era of Prince, Micheal Jackson, Eddie Murphy, Mr. T, Public Enemy, Bill Cosby, Spike Lee and on and on, and even make such a unqualified generalization...With the exception of MTV maybe, but after Micheal Jackson, the door was pretty much kicked open with Yo MTV Raps!! But even then, music videos themselves were pretty obscure still to start with before you start calling racism...What little exposure did you have to culture in the 80's to even suggest this?

I'd never say there isn't or wasn't racism in the 80's, but not in the manner you speak of, what black artist ("dress/blend in with the whites?") can you use as an example to support this?

I don't even know if I want to respond or spend the time explaining how upside down crazy this is...I was black then and black now, and I have absolutely NO idea of what you're talking about!?

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/09 at 12:33 am

so that's what like 5 shows out of fifty? wow the 80's were hopping with color?  ::)

Seriously tho... yeah Cosby made a big mark  and forgot about night court...

227 was okay but I hated Amen...

Still we are talking about a small number in a very big pool...

Written By: robby76 on 05/06/09 at 12:42 am

Though I love a good debate, I think this thread is full of over-analysis and never should have been started. If you wanted, you could find perceived racism in anything and by doing so, you actually continue the division of the races. And of course some blacks were "white" in the 80s - we're living side by side for cripes sake - just like how now, a lot of hiphop culture is lived out by whites.

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/09 at 12:53 am

Though I love a good debate, I think this thread is full of over-analysis and never should have been started. If you wanted, you could find perceived racism in anything and by doing so, you actually continue the division of the races. And of course some blacks were "white" in the 80s - we're living side by side for cripes sake - just like how now, a lot of hiphop culture is lived out by whites.

this true.. I'm not really debating tho...trust me.. that was sarcasm you read above...

I was 13-23 in the 80s I didn't see a lot of representation.. I mean it was there in the places you expected it to be... the "culture" films and shows... but not really represented in mainstream works. 

At least It didn't seem to be to me...

Check for new replies or respond here...