inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: need help finding this 80's commercial

Written By: jenclancy on 05/18/09 at 4:24 am

I am looking for more info on a commercial from the late 80s early 90s I assume. It was about a young girl who I think was lamenting that she wasn't as pretty as the model in a poster, and then the model comes out of the poster or the mirror and shows the girl all the transformations she has to go through to actually look like that picture. I remember one particular part of the transformation involved having her ears taped back because someone thought they were too big? Sorry for such little information, but this commercial has been driving me crazy. All I remember is it was one of my favourites for some reason as a little girl. I'd love to see it again, or even have it recounted back to me, so I can piece together the fragments of memory from my childhood. Thanks!!

Subject: Re: need help finding this 80's commercial

Written By: chel-bert on 07/24/09 at 3:55 pm

I remember this. It was a pop star that came out of the poster. Some one from the 80s. I'll have to look it up but I definitely remember it.

Subject: Re: need help finding this 80's commercial

Written By: Claybricks on 07/24/09 at 7:46 pm

Your question reminds me of a Saturday Night Live sketch. Amy Poehler acting as a young girl has a huge poster of Bon Jovi on a wall or door. Bon Jovi steps through the poster and into her room.

Saturday Night Live Season 33: Episode 3

Here's the VIDEO...

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/amy-poehler/videos/2858070/title/saturday-night-live-bedroom

Here's the transcript with a few pictures...

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/07/07camy.phtml

Amy Poehler's House

.....Amy Poehler
.....Jon Bon Jovi

Amy Poehler: "Dear diary. Mark it down: October 13, 1986 is officially the worst day of my life! Everything is wicked bad and it sucks. School's a nightmare." "Today, I got my period on the balance beam, and nobody told me and everybody saw. Now everybody's calling me Lamey Poehler. And my mom found my beer in the laundry hamper, and now she won't let me go to Worcester Center to see Bon Jovi with opening act Cinderella! Now my dream of Jon Bon Jovi seeing me in the crowd and taking me away from this miserable life is ruined! I gotta get my hair higher!"

Jon Bon Jovi: Amy...Amy...

Amy Poehler: Oh my god, are you freaking serious?! Jon Bon Jovi just came out of my poster! Oh my god, what are you doing here? You have a show tonight!

Jon Bon Jovi: Don't worry, that can wait. You're upset!

Amy Poehler: No one understands me! I'm afraid my life is gonna suck, even when I'm wicked old, like 30! Don't even get me started on boys.

Jon Bon Jovi: Ah, boys can be tricky...

Amy Poehler: Yeah, tell me about it. I made out with Kevin Parker, then he told everybody that I smell like Doritos.

Jon Bon Jovi: Look, I'm here to tell you that everything is going to be okay.

Amy Poehler: That's easy for you to say...you're Jon Bon Jovi!

Jon Bon Jovi: Hey, growing up was hard for me too! Let me tell you a story about Jon Francis Bon Jovi Jr. He wore orthopedic shoes and played the French horn. He was another fat kid who couldn't stop eating hogies, so everybody in the neighborhood called him Johnny Meatballs. Everything sucked for him too until he threw down that French horn and picked up his guitar. You gotta follow your heart! You gotta find that dream. You have any big dreams, Amy?

Amy Poehler: Yeah. I got some pretty big dreams. I don't wanna just shop at the Limited, I wanna work at the Limited! And at night, I wanna have people over for beers at my apartment that I rent.

Jon Bon Jovi: Okay! But what do you really love to do?

Amy Poehler: Well, I kinda like acting. I did a monologue at the 8th grade recital and it got a lot of laughs.

Jon Bon Jovi: That's good!

Amy Poehler: ...it was from The Diary of Anne Frank.

Jon Bon Jovi: Amy, have a seat. Now listen closely because I got something for you. 20 years from now, you're gonna be a castmember on Saturday Night Live, and I'm gonna be the host! Does that blow your mind or what?

Amy Poehler: Wait, you're gonna be the host?

Jon Bon Jovi: Yeah!

Amy Poehler: Oh...no...okay...that makes sense.

Jon Bon Jovi: Amy, don't worry. Your future? It rocks.

Amy Poehler: In the future, is Bon Jovi still around?

Jon Bon Jovi: Yes Amy, in the future, Bon Jovi is still around.

Amy Poehler: Oh my god!

Jon Bon Jovi: Listen, Amy, I gotta go, I have a gig to go to.

Amy Poehler: Wait! Jon Bon Jovi! In the future, am I ever gonna get boobs!

Jon Bon Jovi: ...you just keep working on that personality.

Amy Poehler: Okay, but and then boobs?

Jon Bon Jovi: You're gonna have a great set of personality.

Amy Poehler: Wait! Before you go back into the poster, when will I see you again?

Jon Bon Jovi: I'll see you October 13, 2007. I'll look the same, but my hair's gonna be cut.

Amy Poehler: Wait! Your hair's gorgeous! Let me take a picture to tell everybody-- Oh my god! Dear diary! I have a new dream! One day, I'm gonna look in a camera, and I'm gonna scream: LIVE FROM NEW YORK, IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT!

Dan

Check for new replies or respond here...