inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do some people think Madonna was chubby back in the mid-80's?

Written By: 80sfan on 06/04/09 at 10:58 am

I've heard some comments about Madonna's body back in her pre-1986 years and some people say she was chubby.

When I hear that it makes me think, "Are you people crazy?"

People call this chubby?

http://991.com/newGallery/Madonna-Penthouse---Septe-35222.jpg

http://allaboutmadonna.com/images/interviews/1985-madonna-time.jpg

I thought she lơoked perfect and even hotter back then!

But starting in 1986 during her True Blue era you can tell she lost about 10 or 15 pounds though.

Subject: Re: Why do some people think Madonna was chubby back in the mid-80's?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/09 at 2:14 pm

I've heard some comments about Madonna's body back in her pre-1986 years and some people say she was chubby.

People call this chubby?

http://991.com/newGallery/Madonna-Penthouse---Septe-35222.jpg

http://allaboutmadonna.com/images/interviews/1985-madonna-time.jpg

But starting in 1986 during her True Blue era you can tell she lost about 10 or 15 pounds though.

I agree dude. I'm a fan of Madonna's first three albums (both the music and her image) and I also think she was really cute then.

Hollywood's idea of overweight is ridiculous (even the average everyday person's is), probably even back then it was too. To use another example, Ricki Lake around 1994/95 when her talk show was just taking off - I remember people ripping on her for being "fat" quite a bit back then, and I wonder what they were smoking. ;D

Maybe it's just me, but I personally think alot of (what the majority considers to be) "slightly overweight" girls are really beautiful, infact moreso than what usually passes as "hot".

Written By: 80sfan on 06/04/09 at 2:37 pm

I agree dude. I'm a fan of Madonna's first three albums (both the music and her image) and I also think she was really cute then.

Hollywood's idea of overweight is ridiculous (even the average everyday person's is), probably even back then it was too. To use another example, Ricki Lake around 1994/95 when her talk show was just taking off - I remember people ripping on her for being "fat" quite a bit back then, and I wonder what they were smoking. ;D

Maybe it's just me, but I personally think alot of (what the majority considers to be) "slightly overweight" girls are really beautiful, infact moreso than what usually passes as "hot".

I agree and yes I am a male who thinks Madonna was sooooooo sexy in that 1985 Time magazine cover.

People say it's not a big deal to say that 'normal' is fat and that it's just a trend, but guess what?
Girls listen everyday to what people say about their body image and it's ingrained in their mind whether they want to admit or not.
And that's why it pisses me off when people say 'who cares?' or 'You're making mountain out of molehills!'.

This is the reason why so many girls have body issues!

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/04/09 at 7:30 pm

I thought Madonna looked great in '84 and '85.  I think it's just crazy that anyone would think she was "chubby" in those days.  :(

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/09 at 7:32 pm

Madonna chubby?  Anyone who says that needs their friggin' eyes examined. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/04/09 at 11:19 pm

Because the '90s - the years in which the comparison was made - was the age of heroin chic.

(Insert your own joke about "If I wanted to fark a bag of antlersKate Moss..." here.  The "Curves" demotivational poster was prettier to look at, but the associated one-liner was even more tasteless.)

Written By: Davester on 06/05/09 at 12:31 am

Probably because what they mean is she wasn't a waif...

Written By: Entouch on 06/05/09 at 7:12 am

People call this chubby?

Its funny you said that because my niece was surfing YouTube and was looking at clips of her first tour. (I believe it was the Virgin Tour). She said she looked fat and I said in her heyday the press and her fans did not call her fat she was just physically normal. But its easy to compare her physical image today to her image between '84 to '85 , the press today will say she was chubby.

After '86 I think she became more weight conscious and worked out frequently and every pop star after her did the same thing.

Today's pop stars the have to be physically perfect to sell records its so much scrutiny on their weight that its ridiculous. Prime examples  Jessica Simpson and Kelly Clarkson.

Written By: blueyedevil on 06/05/09 at 8:44 pm

Reminds me of that part in Pulp Fiction:

Fabienne: I was looking at myself in the mirror.
Butch: Uh-huh?
Fabienne: I wish I had a pot.
Butch: You were lookin' in the mirror and you wish you had some pot?
Fabienne: A pot. A pot belly. Pot bellies are sexy.
Butch: Well you should be happy, 'cause you do.
Fabienne: Shut up, Fatso! I don't have a pot! I have a bit of a tummy, like Madonna when she did "Lucky Star," it's not the same thing.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/05/09 at 11:02 pm

Reminds me of that part in Pulp Fiction:

Fabienne: I was looking at myself in the mirror.
Butch: Uh-huh?
Fabienne: I wish I had a pot.
Butch: You were lookin' in the mirror and you wish you had some pot?
Fabienne: A pot. A pot belly. Pot bellies are sexy.
Butch: Well you should be happy, 'cause you do.
Fabienne: Shut up, Fatso! I don't have a pot! I have a bit of a tummy, like Madonna when she did "Lucky Star," it's not the same thing.

That is hilarious!  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/09 at 2:31 am

The media likes to sell skinny little girls with skinny little girl voices and skinny little girl brains.  Sadly, they sell it because they can.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/09 at 2:47 am

I agree and yes I am a male who thinks Madonna was sooooooo sexy in that 1985 Time magazine cover.

People say it's not a big deal to say that 'normal' is fat and that it's just a trend, but guess what?
Girls listen everyday to what people say about their body image and it's ingrained in their mind whether they want to admit or not.
And that's why it pisses me off when people say 'who cares?' or 'You're making mountain out of molehills!'.

This is the reason why so many girls have body issues!

Totally agree. I think it's easy for people on the outside to say things like that, but they probably don't know how it actually feels to be girls who go through that. Sometimes even just one negative thing can affect someone's self image. Even though I'm a guy, I'm quite feminine and am concerned with vanity, so I kinda know how it feels firsthand too.

P.S. Yeah she did - I also like her in the "Burning Up" and "Borderline" videos. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...