inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Technology/items that became obsolete in the '80s

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/05/09 at 11:36 pm

This list is based on old news articles found in the Google News Vaults, and is a good approximation for when the item really was outdated and obsolete, and never made a mainstream comeback as well.

Slide Rule (around 1980)
8-track (around 1982)
Manual Typewriter (around 1983)
Punch-card checks (around 1984)
Rotary dial phones (around 1986)
Leaded Gasoline (1987)
Vinyl record (around 1989)

It's interesting to know that we'll never quite see the true '80s again, and this list really shows the real thing about what disappeared physically.

Subject: Re: Technology/items that became obsolete in the '80s

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/09 at 2:44 am

Yeah, I'm sure individual people (especially older folks) probably actively used them in their homes for some years afterwards (I saw manual typewriters hanging around even in the '90s). But you're probably right that they stopped being current around then.

It's interesting to consider, but even though I have an excellent memory (dating back to 1985ish, when I was about 4)I hardly recall records at all, even though they were manufactured until the early 90s. I have only the foggiest, vaguest memories of my uncle making some mixtapes using vinyl. But I never owned any, and I can't remember seeing them in stores... they probably were there, but like just a little selection in the back or something.

It's kinda cool to think that a time consists of "older things" just as much as the current stuff (if not even more), since that's what the majority of people are gonna own, unless they're rich.

Written By: gibbo on 06/06/09 at 4:22 am

Someone offered me their manual typewriter last week. Even this old boy uses a PC (and Word) to type anything!  Keeping things just becuase they still work just clutters up the place! Unless you intend to keep it until it becomes valuable as a collectors item.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/09 at 6:21 am

This list is based on old news articles found in the Google News Vaults, and is a good approximation for when the item really was outdated and obsolete, and never made a mainstream comeback as well.

Slide Rule (around 1980)
8-track (around 1982)
Leaded Gasoline (1987)

It's interesting to know that we'll never quite see the true '80s again, and this list really shows the real thing about what disappeared physically.
Vinyl records are still on sale, but not on a great scale as CDs.

Written By: whistledog on 06/06/09 at 10:11 am

Slide Rule (around 1980)
8-track (around 1982)
Leaded Gasoline (1987)

8 Tracks were still produced and sold into the mid 80s.

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/06/09 at 10:15 am

i was recording on 8 tracks until 1989 then bought my first cd and started recording on cassettes.

Check for new replies or respond here...