inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: thrash or hair metal?

Written By: soundgardenfan on 06/13/09 at 2:34 pm

This topic is for people who were into heavy metal in the 80s, did you all prefer thrash metal or hair metal?

Personally I prefer thrash but I am also a big fan of some hair metal such as motley crue and skid row.

Subject: Re: thrash or hair metal?

Written By: Davester on 06/13/09 at 3:24 pm

This topic is for people who were into heavy metal in the 80s, did you all prefer thrash metal or hair metal?

Personally I prefer thrash but I am also a big fan of some hair metal such as motley crue and skid row.

Hair metal for myself but a few friends dug thrash, thrash being Megadeth, Metallica, Mercyful Fate and I think Slayer and myriad others.  In the 1980s I was still caught-up in the Metal=Satan moral panic and I thought I had doomed myself to eternal hellfire and damnation after picking-up Out of the freakin' Cellar (*which ain't even thrash...)...

One of my best friends was into thrash metal and I just assumed he had already killed somebody and probably sacrificed small animals, late at night, when he was in his room.  But he definately knew his way around D&D...

Thrash metal fans were the ones who seperated the men from the boys... :P

Written By: woops on 06/14/09 at 11:42 am

I'll probably get  trashed by hardcore metalheads, though I prefer hair metal.

I like some Anthrax like "Anti-Social" & "Bring The Noize" with Public Enemy, though most  tend to be too hardcore for my taste.

Written By: Davester on 06/14/09 at 12:19 pm

I'll probably get  trashed by hardcore metalheads, though I prefer hair metal.

I like some Anthrax like "Anti-Social" & "Bring The Noize" with Public Enemy, though most  tend to be too hardcore for my taste.

You won't get trashed unless you're posing...

Written By: Gis on 06/14/09 at 12:29 pm

Hmmm, I liked both but Hair Metal more that Thrash I guess.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/09 at 8:51 pm

If I was into either one, it would have been thrash. 

But at the time it was The Cure, New Order, The Smiths, and Depeche Mode for me!

Written By: La Roche on 06/17/09 at 11:03 pm

Thrash for life. Still going strong.

Written By: Gis on 06/18/09 at 5:52 am

Thrash for life. Still going strong.

Fair point, while Glam died a death Thrash has carried on........

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/18/09 at 10:18 am

Definitely Hair Metal.  I'm a pansy.

My husband is all about the thrash.  It just gives me a headache. 

Written By: anabel on 06/20/09 at 6:55 pm

Megadeth, Metallica, Mercyful Fate and I think Slayer and myriad others.  Thrash metal fans were the ones who seperated the men from the boys... :P

I'm not a man or a boy...wait.....NOPE, I'm not. I LOVED Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Metal Church, Suicidal Tendencies, etc...Seeing Slayer scared me, though...but I still have a soft spot in my heart for Megadeth, even though they are only a shadow of their former selves...I miss Nick Menza...There was nothing like moshing in the rain to those guys!  But now that I'm a grown up I can only reminisce...

http://www.truemetal.org/metal-heart/megadeth.jpg

This is when they were at their best....WOW this pic turned out huge...but I like it.... ;)

Written By: Davester on 06/21/09 at 8:12 pm

I'm not a man or a boy...wait.....NOPE, I'm not. I LOVED Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Metal Church, Suicidal Tendencies, etc...Seeing Slayer scared me, though...but I still have a soft spot in my heart for Megadeth, even though they are only a shadow of their former selves...I miss Nick Menza...There was nothing like moshing in the rain to those guys!  But now that I'm a grown up I can only reminisce...

This is when they were at their best....WOW this pic turned out huge...but I like it.... ;)

Can't forget the ladies... :-*

My first Megadeth was the best IMO, So Far So Good So What.  Still love that album...

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/09 at 9:33 pm

Last time I went to see Slayer I was punched in the head at least twice.

Which was awesome.

Written By: Gis on 06/22/09 at 2:44 pm

Never did get into Megadeth.  :-\\
Saw Metallica and Anthrax many, many times live. The reunion tour Anthrax did a few years ago was awesome.

I never did get to see Armored Saint or Overkill live, which I would have loved.

Not withstanding all of that my heart still belonged to Glam!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/09 at 6:52 pm

I'm not a man or a boy...wait.....NOPE, I'm not. I LOVED Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Metal Church, Suicidal Tendencies, etc...

SuTen started off as an L.A. punk band.  Their signature song "Institutionalized" was one of my adolescent anthems!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/toothy5.gif

Written By: Tia on 06/24/09 at 6:59 pm

"all i wanted was just one pepsi" was the catchphrase of a generation.

Written By: La Roche on 06/24/09 at 8:03 pm

SuTen started off as an L.A. punk band.  Their signature song "Institutionalized" was one of my adolescent anthems!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/toothy5.gif

su ten...

You mean S.T.

Written By: anabel on 06/24/09 at 8:05 pm

Can't forget the ladies... :-*

My first Megadeth was the best IMO, So Far So Good So What.  Still love that album...

Long live Rattlehead!  I Love SFSG as well, but my favorite was always Rust In Peace, followed by Peace Sells....but Who's Buying?

http://www.megadeth.com/images/discography/thumbs/rip_usa_remaster_cd.jpg

Hangar 18 is my favorite song...Tornado Of Souls has one of my favorite misheard lyrics:  
"But, now I'm safe in the eye of the TOMATO"  ;D  I swear that's what it sounds like!

Their music wasn't just fast and loud, it meant something-their political views made sense and I loved Symphony of Destruction, and Countdown To Extiction.  That song actually makes me cry-how can such serious bada$$ dudes be so softhearted toward the protection of animals?  :-*

I was lucky enough to meet the guys a few times in the early 90's, even got to go on the tour bus once in Salt lake City, I'd have to try and scan photos as I only have the hard copies, not on a memory card or disc even...Nick and Dave signed one of my tickets one year, I have it framed... 8)

On a side note, VH1 or MTV had some kind of a documentary on once about Metallica's troubles with making their last cd, and Lars actually had to go into therapy and his therapist made him sit down and talk with Dave Mustaine in a session about their bad blood and history of kicking Dave out of Metallica. Watching them confront each other after so many years was awesome!

Written By: La Roche on 06/24/09 at 8:38 pm

Long live Rattlehead!   I Love SFSG as well, but my favorite was always Rust In Peace, followed by Peace Sells....but Who's Buying?

http://www.megadeth.com/images/discography/thumbs/rip_usa_remaster_cd.jpg

Hangar 18 is my favorite song...Tornado Of Souls has one of my favorite misheard lyrics: 
"But, now I'm safe in the eye of the TOMATO"  ;D  I swear that's what it sounds like!

Their music wasn't just fast and loud, it meant something-their political views made sense and I loved Symphony of Destruction, and Countdown To Extiction.  That song actually makes me cry-how can such serious bada$$ dudes be so softhearted toward the protection of animals?  :-*

I was lucky enough to meet the guys a few times in the early 90's, even got to go on the tour bus once in Salt lake City, I'd have to try and scan photos as I only have the hard copies, not on a memory card or disc even...Nick and Dave signed one of my tickets one year, I have it framed... 8)

On a side note, VH1 or MTV had some kind of a documentary on once about Metallica's troubles with making their last cd, and Lars actually had to go into therapy and his therapist made him sit down and talk with Dave Mustaine in a session about their bad blood and history of kicking Dave out of Metallica. Watching them confront each other after so many years was awesome!

Last time I met Dave was at a gig in town. I was working the gig and very unprofessionally managed to get Dave to sign my tour shirt. A friend from back in the U.K was visiting at the time and I got him in to the show. Anyway, long story short, his passport was signed by Dave Mustaine.

Check for new replies or respond here...