inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Family Ties" poll

Written By: Frank on 06/20/09 at 1:31 am

Family Ties is a television sitcom that aired on NBC for seven seasons, from 1982 to 1989. Iy was one of my favorite shows from the 1980's, And Michael J. Fox became a superstar.

My favorite character was Alex. I didn't agree with all his political views, but he acted the part almost to perfection. Didn't care much for Jennifer after season 4, and did not like Lauren.

Who's your favorite character?
Did ya like the show?

http://www.edhumphries.com/wp-content/uploads/family-ties.jpg

Subject: Re: "Family Ties" poll

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 2:01 am

I picked Jennifer cuz I liked her spunk

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/09 at 9:49 am

Steven Keaton.  I loved his sarcastic one liners.  I wasn't too crazy about him during Season 1 though because I thought he was better with the beard.

Can't wait for Seasons 6 and 7 to hit DVD.  The episode that was filmed like a stage play (with no audience) was voted by TV Guide as one of the greatest TV episodes of all time

In an episode of the 90s sitcom 'Spin City', Mike Flaherty (J. Fox) makes mention that he met "a conservative congressman named Alex P. Keaton" and talks about what a loser he was ;D

Written By: Frank on 06/20/09 at 6:20 pm

Steven Keaton.  I loved his sarcastic one liners.  I wasn't too crazy about him during Season 1 though because I thought he was better with the beard.

Can't wait for Seasons 6 and 7 to hit DVD.  The episode that was filmed like a stage play (with no audience) was voted by TV Guide as one of the greatest TV episodes of all time

Is that the one titled ' My name is Alex" after one of Alex's friends dies in a crash?
Yeh, Steven was better with a beard.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/20/09 at 6:25 pm

I like Alex P. Keaton. Michael J. Fox is so darn CUTE!  :)

And I'm proud of him foe being an advocate for treatment of people with Parkingson's Disease. And his own public battle with the disease is inspiring.

Written By: anabel on 06/20/09 at 6:41 pm

Well, I didn't pick Mallory, but that is who everyone compared me to when it was on and I was in school.....

I pick Alex P. Keaton.  Matthew reminds me of him a lot.  I just hope in 5 years he doesn't walk around in suits and ties all the time.

I loved the show and did relate to it a lot, Elise (Mom's name?) reminds me of my Mom, so it was a lot like watching people on tv play US.  :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/20/09 at 7:16 pm

Mallory was always my favorite. 

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/09 at 9:14 pm

Is that the one titled ' My name is Alex" after one of Alex's friends dies in a crash?
Yeh, Steven was better with a beard.

That was the one yes.  Alex didn't know how to deal with the death of his friend Greg.  If I remember, the stage play sequence was all part of a dream that he had, and it better helped him cope with the loss of his friend.

Written By: zcrito on 06/21/09 at 12:32 am

Steven or Alex Keaton.
I voted for Steven Keaton (Michael Gross) since I like Tremors (1990).

Written By: robby76 on 06/21/09 at 1:32 am

Mallory was always my favorite. 

Me too - just something about Justine Bateman that made you empathise with her.

Written By: snozberries on 06/21/09 at 1:48 am

Me too - just something about Justine Bateman that made you empathise with her.

its because you knew she was too stupid to make it in the world on her own.... made you wanna take care of her...sort of like a puppy  :P

Jennifer was going to conquer the whole world..... and take no prisoners in the process!  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 06/21/09 at 3:58 am

I thought Alex's character was played perfectly by MJ Fox. I voted for him........

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/21/09 at 6:45 pm

Steven or Alex Keaton.
I voted for Steven Keaton (Michael Gross) since I like Tremors (1990).

:o I didn't know he was in Tremors. All I remember is Kevin Bacon because he has that long, Cro-Magnon forehead. LOL.  :) Dang, now I wanna watch Footloose.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/21/09 at 7:11 pm

My favorite has always been Alex.  I thought he was such a super cutie on that show!  :)

Mallory comes in at a close second.  :)

Written By: Frank on 06/21/09 at 10:39 pm

I thought Alex's character was played perfectly by MJ Fox.

Totally agree with you

Written By: snozberries on 06/21/09 at 11:42 pm

:o I didn't know he was in Tremors. All I remember is Kevin Bacon because he has that long, Cro-Magnon forehead. LOL.  :) Dang, now I wanna watch Footloose.

he and Reba were the heavily armed conspiracy theorists

I did love MJF in that ep where he gets hooked on pills.. that scene in the bed room (from the time he studies to the "intervention" remains my favorite Family Ties moment!

Written By: mooster on 06/22/09 at 2:13 am

Alex P. Keaton

Written By: zcrito on 06/22/09 at 5:00 pm

Dang, now I wanna watch Footloose.

Noooooooo!
Tremors.
Not Footloose.
;)

Written By: Frank on 06/22/09 at 5:43 pm

Looks like Alex P. Keaton is running away with this. No real suprprise.

Written By: robby76 on 06/24/09 at 7:29 am

Looks like Alex P. Keaton is running away with this. No real suprprise.

I always hate voting for the obvious, but yes Alex was the star of the show.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/09 at 6:53 pm

Nick!

Yo! Mall-o-ree!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/24/09 at 10:49 pm

i suppose i shouldnt vote because i never saw the show!

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/06/09 at 2:24 pm

I loved Michael - without him there would not have been much of a show; but I also loved Mallory's fashion flare 8) except I had the hair like Jennifer ::)

;D

Written By: ralfy on 09/14/16 at 5:04 am

Related:

"‘Family Ties’ to Be Adapted as Stage Play"

https://variety.com/2016/legit/news/family-ties-on-stage-play-1201858103/

Written By: Howard on 09/14/16 at 2:42 pm

Related:

"‘Family Ties’ to Be Adapted as Stage Play"

https://variety.com/2016/legit/news/family-ties-on-stage-play-1201858103/

seriously?  :o ::)

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/15/16 at 11:56 pm

I chose Alex. I would have been clueless if "The Cosby Show" and this show were not on during the same hour on Thursday nights. My dad liked the former but not the latter. He was in charge of the remote control most of the time.

He was a good character for the times. Quite a few hippies and yippies hated my generation because we tended to be more conservative. The plots reflected this truism. We kids were chased "off the lawns" of more than a few baby boomers.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/16 at 7:05 am

I chose Alex. I would have been clueless if "The Cosby Show" and this show were not on during the same hour on Thursday nights. My dad liked the former but not the latter. He was in charge of the remote control most of the time.

He was a good character for the times. Quite a few hippies and yippies hated my generation because we tended to be more conservative. The plots reflected this truism. We kids were chased "off the lawns" of more than a few baby boomers.

I like Alex too, he seemed like the smarter one in the family.

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/16/16 at 10:01 pm

I like Alex too, he seemed like the smarter one in the family.

He indeed was smart. That surprised me because conservatives almost always were portrayed as bad and/or dumb. Archie Bunker was a stupid bigot. Alex Keaton broke the stereotypical mold.

Check for new replies or respond here...