inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 1988 Writers Guild of America strike

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/09 at 10:56 pm

The 1988 Writers Guild of America strike remains the longest ever strike in the history of the Writers Guild, lasting 21 weeks and 6 days.  Does anyone remember this?

It affected many movie releases and TV shows and some believe it started the reality show craze when 'COPS' premiered on FOX in 1989.  The strike also prompted several past shows to see new revivals:  'That's Incredible!' was re-introduced as 'Incredible Sunday' with John Davidson as co-host once again, and a new version of 'Mission: Impossible' featuring a new cast used recycled scripts and plots from the original 60s series

During the strike, most networks aired paid programming or movies (eg: "The CBS Sunday Night Movie") or re-ran past episodes of shows in the schedules.

A few shows that were affected by the strike:

Kate and Allie:  Though it's 6th season had 22 episodes, it's season premiere delay until December 1988 caused the show to drop in ratings from #19 to #82, which led to the decision by CBS to cancel the show after the season ended.

Moonlighting:  It also had a delayed season premiere in December 1988 causing the 5th season to have only 13 episodes.  This caused the show to fall out of the Top 30 ratings, forcing ABC to pull the plug after the season ended

Jake and the Fatman:  Season 2 did not premiere until March 1989 and only had 11 episodes.  Ratings were still good, and the show would go on to a 5 season run.

My Two Dads:  Season 2 had 16 episodes, but did not premiere until January 1989 causing the show to fall out of the Top 20 ratings.  Lower ratings for Season 3 forced NBC to pull the plug

Subject: Re: The 1988 Writers Guild of America strike

Written By: robby76 on 06/28/09 at 12:05 am

That's quite interesting and no I didn't remember the strike. It's a shame when good shows suffer from incidents like this. I know the recent strike in 2008 gave us a shorter season of Brothers & Sisters and 2 awfully dull episodes of Desperate Housewives.

I'd love to see the last season of Kate & Allie as I only have vague recollections of their new apartment (they did move didn't they?).

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/28/09 at 4:46 pm

Also of interest, with his writers then out on the picket lines, Johnny Carson wrote nine Tonight Show monlogues singlehandedly. I don't know whether or not Jay Leno was on the writing staff at the time.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: whistledog on 06/30/09 at 6:31 pm

I'd love to see the last season of Kate & Allie as I only have vague recollections of their new apartment (they did move didn't they?).

If I remember correctly, they did end up moving, but it's been so long I can barely remember.  The Final season is coming soon, I can't wait!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/03/09 at 12:02 pm

I remember it well as I was living in the US for all of 1988. I remember non stop repeats of everything I had already watched in Australia the previous year. And I remember lots of news articles about the strike pickets etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...