inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Music - The YOUTUBE Thread

Written By: whistledog on 06/30/09 at 8:37 pm

Post your favourites!  Who knows, you may end up finding a song you like, one you never heard before, or one you just love hearing again!

Here's one from 1983, what looks like a TOTP performance.  When I was a kid, this was one of my favourite songs.  I still love it!
Freeez - I.O.U.

Here's the somewhat forgotten 1984 hit 'Shine Shine' from Bee Gees brother Barry Gibb.  It scraped the US Top 40, just missed the Canadian Top 40 and fell completely outside of the UK Top 75.  I love that horn solo alot!
Barry Gibb - Shine Shine

From 1985, here's a bit of an obscurity despite the presence of a MAJOR star.  Though it scraped the Top 40 in both the UK and Canada, it missed the US chart completely.  It was omitted from the Vinyl version of Elton's 'Ice on Fire' but did appear on the CD and Cassette versions as a bonus track.
Elton John and Millie Jackson - Act of War

Feel free to post others.  Keep the 80s alive ...

Subject: Re: 80s Music - The YOUTUBE Thread

Written By: midnite on 06/30/09 at 10:08 pm

Whistledog, you always bring home the "80s music" bacon. 

The Freeez song is a classic, as is the video.
I didnt know the Barry Gibb song, but its good.

I have to dig in the crates for a couple of videos.

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/30/09 at 10:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwwPmNWQfIY        from my favorite underated 80's band

hey midnite.......   who is that pic of in your avatar?  it kinda looks like kelly lebrock, but im not sure.

Written By: robby76 on 06/30/09 at 10:38 pm

Yeah Freez's I.O.U. was a favourite of mine as a kid.

Keeping with the early 80s, howsabout Tight Fit's "Fantasy Island"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yrxsuMGdDY

ps: Barry Gibb's vid was "not available in my country"... story of my life!

Written By: whistledog on 06/30/09 at 11:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwwPmNWQfIY        from my favorite underated 80's band

Doug and the Slugs, rock on!  They never had the best videos, but their music was great!

Yeah Freez's I.O.U. was a favourite of mine as a kid.

ps: Barry Gibb's vid was "not available in my country"... story of my life!

Dang that country thing.  I often get that too from some YouTube clips.  Looks like that one was the only available on YouTube :(

I do love that Tight Fit track.  I first heard it on a UK Import Double CD of 80s hits

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/09 at 12:09 am

A British Legend ...

For years, Cliff Richard struggled to find an American audience, and never really got the success he deserved until the late 70s when he scored a brief run of hits in the US chart that bled into the early 80s.  One such song titled 'Give A Little Bit More' (which was not released as a single in the UK) peaked at US #41, giving Cliff his 13th American chart hit.  The single did better in Canada where it peaked at #15 and became his 25th hit.  Here is the great Sir Cliff Richard performing 'Give A Little Bit More' on SOLID GOLD in 1981 ...
Cliff Richard - Give A Little Bit More

One of the catchiest rock songs of the 80s never became a big hit.  Produced by Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson, American rock band Urgent stalled in the US chart at #79 during 1985 with their lone hit 'Running Back'.  Most often I find that songs not in the Top 40 are better than the ones actually in the Top 40.  Minor hits are awesome, and I salute Urgent for creating one of the best!
Urgent - Running Back

Written By: Paul on 07/01/09 at 7:04 am

For years, Cliff Richard struggled to find an American audience, and never really got the success he deserved until the late 70s when he scored a brief run of hits in the US chart that bled into the early 80s.  One such song titled 'Give A Little Bit More' (which was not released as a single in the UK) peaked at US #41, giving Cliff his 13th American chart hit.  The single did better in Canada where it peaked at #15 and became his 25th hit.

Actually, it was released as a single here!

Over here, it was titled 'Never Say Die (Give A Little Bit More)' which may have confused matters...

In common with Canada, it reached #15 in Britain in Autumn '83 (when I first started work!  :D)

Written By: Henk on 07/01/09 at 1:41 pm

But we got the original! Fantasy Island - The Millionaires, a contestant in the Dutch preliminaries for Eurovision Song Contest in 1982.

They didn't get to go, btw. Instead we sent this little ditty.... ::) It only got 8 points.
The singer is now a successful musical star.

Written By: Paul on 07/01/09 at 2:10 pm

Couldn't think of just one...so why not indulge in several super bite-sized bits of 1982?

(...you can skip U2's tedious contribution!  :P)

(And Kraftwerk's number was actually from 1978, but let's not quibble!)

Written By: Henk on 07/01/09 at 2:40 pm

Couldn't think of just one...so why not indulge in several super bite-sized bits of 1982?

(...you can skip U2's tedious contribution!  :P)

(And Kraftwerk's number was actually from 1978, but let's not quibble!)

Ah, brings back memories of the good old days... except they weren't as 'good' as we like to think they were. ;)

I'm unfamiliar with the U2, Soft Cell and Talk Talk tracks, but other than that - good stuff! 8)

It's been quite a while since I last heard Rocker's Revenge. Made me think of another seldomly heard song: 'Nature Boy' by Central Line. (It's available on YouTube, but it has no video and the sound is really poor quality).

So instead I'll give you this: The Rock Steady Crew with their classic (Hey You) Rock Steady Crew

I think it's now safe to admit that 26 years ago I totally had a crush on Baby Love.

Written By: Paul on 07/01/09 at 2:54 pm

Ah, brings back memories of the good old days... except they weren't as 'good' as we like to think they were. ;)

It's been quite a while since I last heard Rocker's Revenge. Made me think of another seldomly heard song: 'Nature Boy' by Central Line. (It's available on YouTube, but it has no video and the sound is really poor quality).

Remember that as well, but I much prefer their other 'nearly' hit, 'Walking Into Sunshine'...

So instead I'll give you this: The Rock Steady Crew with their classic (Hey You) Rock Steady Crew

One of a handful of singles that I bought with my first pay packet!  :D

(There I go talking about work again!  ::))

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/09 at 4:06 pm

Actually, it was released as a single here!

Over here, it was titled 'Never Say Die (Give A Little Bit More)' which may have confused matters...

In common with Canada, it reached #15 in Britain in Autumn '83 (when I first started work!  :D)

I knew about that one.  It was a completely different song, and ironically was Cliff's last US chart appearance.  Both were good singles.  

That was cool.  I never used to like Eddy Grant, but over the years 'I Don't Wanna Dance' really grew on me

Some other good ones in there.  'Maid of Orleans' by OMD has been a long favourite of mine.  It was their first hit here in Canada, which is often debated because upon release, the Canadian chart had it printed as 'Joan of Arc'

Always liked that one

Written By: Henk on 07/01/09 at 4:16 pm

Some other good ones in there.  'Maid of Orleans' by OMD has been a long favourite of mine.  It was their first hit here in Canada, which is often debated because upon release, the Canadian chart had it printed as 'Joan of Arc'

Those are two different songs.

There's Joan of Arc, and there's Maid Of Orleans (The Waltz Joan of Arc).

I really don't know why OMD had to make things so confusing - especially because the two were released only a few months apart.

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/09 at 4:29 pm

Those are two different songs.

There's Joan of Arc, and there's Maid Of Orleans (The Waltz Joan of Arc).

I really don't know why OMD had to make things so confusing - especially because the two were released only a few months apart.

It sure was confusing to me.  By process of elimination, I determined that 'Maid of Orleans' was the one that we got because I remember that song well enough to know it was a hit in Canada without having to see it in the charts.

---------------------

In Celebration of Canada day, here's one that was popular overseas.  Somehow though, it only reached #91 in Canada and missed the US chart completely
Robbie Robertson - Somewhere Down the Crazy River

And here is OUR version of Band-Aid, the great 'Tears Are Not Enough' by Northern Lights from 1985.  You may not recognize every singer in here, but there will be a few familiar faces to those outside of Canada.  If you watch close in the group shots of those who didn't have solos, you can spot Andy Kim, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, Paul Shaffer, Tom Cochrane and a Muffinless Martha Johnson.  Paul Anka is in there as well, but I can't spot him
Northern Lights - Tears Are Not Enough

Written By: Paul on 07/01/09 at 4:34 pm

I knew about that one.  It was a completely different song, and ironically was Cliff's last US chart appearance.  Both were good singles.  

How fiendishly clever! Releasing two songs with almost identical titles in a short timeframe...

(It may have helped if had access to Youtube at work, then I'd have realised my (ahem!) 'deliberate' mistake!)

Back to the original point, you're right...in this instance, it didn't get a release here!

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/09 at 4:51 pm

How fiendishly clever! Releasing two songs with almost identical titles in a short timeframe...

(It may have helped if had access to Youtube at work, then I'd have realised my (ahem!) 'deliberate' mistake!)

Back to the original point, you're right...in this instance, it didn't get a release here!

It used to get confusing for me.  Long ago before I knew 'Give A Little Bit More' was a single release, I assumed 'Never Say Die' was the same as well, just an updated version.  At the time, mp3s were still sort of a new thing, and Cliff's stuff was especially hard to track down.

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/09 at 5:12 pm

Here's one with no apparent video.  As common music sense will state, Steve Miller is one hell of a wicked awesome guitarist and in 1981, he showcased it amazingly with this single that was a Top 40 hit across North America.  Had it not been for Mark Knopfler's 'Sultans of Swing', this would be my choice for greatest guitar based song of all time ...
Steve Miller - Heart Like A Wheel

Written By: Paul on 07/01/09 at 5:19 pm

It used to get confusing for me.  Long ago before I knew 'Give A Little Bit More' was a single release, I assumed 'Never Say Die' was the same as well, just an updated version.

Splendid! That confuses both of us, then!  :D

From 1981, ELO...not 'Hold On Tight', but the much better follow-up, which sadly didn't fare as well...

Apart from a couple of duff tracks, the LP was about the last good thing they came up with...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/01/09 at 5:23 pm

I like this song, alot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3QLFFVFpp0

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/09 at 5:25 pm

Splendid! That confuses both of us, then!  :D

From 1981, ELO...not 'Hold On Tight', but the much better follow-up, which sadly didn't fare as well...

Apart from a couple of duff tracks, the LP was about the last good thing they came up with...

Never seen the video for that one before.  Those lasers are totally 80s!  Reminiscent of the 2nd version of Frankie's 'Relax' LOL  Shame that didn't fare as well as 'Hold on Tight'.  It was equally as catchy.  Always thought 'Time' was their best album of the 80s

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/09 at 5:27 pm

I like this song, alot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3QLFFVFpp0

A great song for sure!  That was a #1 hit in Canada, and well deserved!

Written By: Paul on 07/01/09 at 5:38 pm

Last one for tonight from me...

Doesn't get an airing often, which is strange as it was a fairly big hit here in the UK...(early '83, if memory serves...)

Sadly, the thing is playing slightly slower than it should do (makes it sound a little 'plodding'!)

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/09 at 5:53 pm

^ AWESOME!

The Mighty Wah! were one of the few British 80s bands that I wished had made an impact in North America.  I have both 'The Story of the Blues' and 'Come Back' on my ZUNE and I crank 'em all the time! 8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/01/09 at 9:07 pm

The Metro by Berlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VycipDwbClg&feature=related

Written By: Henk on 07/02/09 at 1:26 pm

Splendid! That confuses both of us, then!  :D

Of the 16 Top 40 hits ELO had in Holland, that was their least successful. Quite underrated, IMHO.

Written By: Paul on 07/02/09 at 2:09 pm

A quick spotlight on Austria!

Not stereotyped in the slightest...no no!

A rather 'subversive' group in their homeland, although you wouldn't think so from this!

(I drew the line at Falco and Opus, sorry!  :-[ :P)

Written By: Henk on 07/02/09 at 2:48 pm

A rather 'subversive' group in their homeland, although you wouldn't think so from this!

(I drew the line at Falco and Opus, sorry!  :-[ :P)

;D ;D Austria roxxx! :D

I didn't think anyone but me would know (about) Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung. We got the original German version (which I thoroughly enjoyed) - it peaked at #25.

Written By: Paul on 07/02/09 at 2:56 pm

;D ;D Austria roxxx! :D

Give 'em enough Schnitzel and they sure can!  ;)

I didn't think anyone but me would know (about) Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung. We got the original German version (which I thoroughly enjoyed) - it peaked at #25.

We couldn't be having foreign tongues invading our charts, so poor old EAV had to re-record it, apparently ruining things with the translation!

Didn't help much, as it struggled to #63 here!

Written By: Henk on 07/02/09 at 3:14 pm

Here's one you don't hear a lot anymore: Eye To Eye - Am I Normal?.
Eye To Eye were Deborah Berg and Julian Marshall (of Marshall Hain fame). Not sure if this was a hit anywhere, btw.

And another blast from the past: Berlin - Like Flames.

The next song was a hit only in Holland, I think: Bow Wow Wow - The Man Mountain. In fact, this was their biggest hit in Holland...

Another rather bizarro act: Mobiles - Drowning In Berlin

And last but not least...Bruce & Bongo - Geil
Bruce & Bongo's real names are Bruce Hammond Earlam and Douglas Wilgrove, respectively. Decent British blokes... ::)

Written By: Paul on 07/02/09 at 3:31 pm

Not heard of the first, I can't watch the second (country restrictions, but I think i remember it!)

After the much-hyped (and eventual British flop) 'Do You Wanna Hold Me', BWW went right off the radar... :-\\

Mobiles...ha! Remember those! Very odd, but in early '82, it was probably cutting edge!

The last pair...mullets a go-go!  :D

Anyway, let's have a skeleton in the office moment... :D

Written By: Henk on 07/02/09 at 3:40 pm

Not heard of the first, I can't watch the second (country restrictions, but I think i remember it!)

Meh. Darn country restrictions. :(
"Like Flames" deserved much better than it did internationally, IMHO.

After the much-hyped (and eventual British flop) 'Do You Wanna Hold Me', BWW went right off the radar... :-\\

"Do You Wanna Hold Me" actually was their second biggest hit in Holland. That said, they only had three.. :-\\

The last pair...mullets a go-go!  :D

It was huge throughout Europe (the mainland, that is)... for a short while, of course. Would you believe the odd couple recorded some more?

I can honestly say I've never seen that video before. It doesn't sound that bad.

Written By: Paul on 07/02/09 at 3:46 pm

I can honestly say I've never seen that video before. It doesn't sound that bad.

I don't know why he's so 'embarrassed' by it, it's no worse than a lot of the stuff around at the time...

Turns out that they were a painfully arty pair (according to some interviews at the time), which probably didn't endear them to the music press (not a clever idea if you're after some kind of stardom!)

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/09 at 5:30 pm

That's not half bad.  Now that Ricky qualifies as a Canadian Citizen, I can add that to my library of Canadian 80s hits :D

(I drew the line at Falco and Opus, sorry!  :-
Here's one you don't hear a lot anymore: Eye To Eye - Am I Normal?.
Eye To Eye were Deborah Berg and Julian Marshall (of Marshall Hain fame). Not sure if this was a hit anywhere, btw.

And another blast from the past: Berlin - Like Flames.

The next song was a hit only in Holland, I think: Bow Wow Wow - The Man Mountain. In fact, this was their biggest hit in Holland...

Another rather bizarro act: Mobiles - Drowning In Berlin

And last but not least...Bruce & Bongo - Geil
Bruce & Bongo's real names are Bruce Hammond Earlam and Douglas Wilgrove, respectively. Decent British blokes... ::)

I need to add that Mobiles track to the International 80s folder on my ZUNE. 
Can't say as I know of that Eye to Eye track.  They had brief success in America, but that wasn't the hit they had

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/09 at 8:53 pm

Here's a catchy little new wave ballad-esque from 1984 that was BIG overseas.  Don't know how BIG (not a hit in the UK), but I know it reached #27 in Australia
Masquerade - Guardian Angel

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/09 at 9:38 am

Live performance on a UK TV show of one of my favourite 80s songs.  Why is there a person in a gopher costume dancing in the crowd?  LOL
The Bluebells - Cath

In the 80s, did an artist need a flashy music video to have a hit single?  Not really!  All you needed was a controversial song about sex, and the public will lap it up like a cat lap's up milk.  Somehow this missed the Top 40 in both the US and UK (tender ears and reluctant DJs), but it showed that Canada (where it reached #2) and Australia (#1 for 5 weeks) shared a common bond:  we liked our 80s with extra cheese ...
Paul Lekakis - Boom Boom (Let's Go Back to My Room)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/03/09 at 11:43 am

It was a song that so popular, that it was played at my grade six prom dance.

It's kinda creepy, now that you come to think of it.

;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/09 at 12:23 pm

It was a song that so popular, that it was played at my grade six prom dance.

It's kinda creepy, now that you come to think of it.

;D

"Boom Boom, 6th graders bangin in their room"? :D

It used to be played at dances at my school too.  Not exactly a good message for kids of that age lol

Written By: Paul on 07/03/09 at 1:25 pm

In the 80s, did an artist need a flashy music video to have a hit single?  Not really!  All you needed was a controversial song about sex, and the public will lap it up like a cat lap's up milk.  Somehow this missed the Top 40 in both the US and UK (tender ears and reluctant DJs), but it showed that Canada (where it reached #2) and Australia (#1 for 5 weeks) shared a common bond:  we liked our 80s with extra cheese ...

It's British chart position (#60) belied its popularity in the clubs back then...possibly as the males in the audience could sing it rather drunkenly to any given lady of their choosing!

Failing that, they could always strike a pose when this got played!  ::)

Written By: Henk on 07/03/09 at 2:38 pm

Here's a catchy little new wave ballad-esque from 1984 that was BIG overseas.  Don't know how BIG (not a hit in the UK), but I know it reached #27 in Australia
Masquerade - Guardian Angel

"Guardian Angel" reached #9 in our Top 40.

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/09 at 5:37 pm

"Guardian Angel" reached #9 in our Top 40.

That's awesome!
Did they have other hits there?  I know they had an album 'The Sound of Masquerade' that spawned another single with 'Everyday Loser'

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/09 at 7:01 pm

It's British chart position (#60) belied its popularity in the clubs back then...possibly as the males in the audience could sing it rather drunkenly to any given lady of their choosing!

Failing that, they could always strike a pose when this got played!  ::)

LOL @ Man 2 Man.  Good Hi-NRG music

Speaking of Hi-NRG, can't mention the 80s and not include 'Brother Louie' by Modern Talking and the creepy eyes of Thomas Anders (must've been the dim lighting in their videos).  It wasn't their biggest hit, but it was their only Top 40 hit in both the UK and Canada.  Funny thing is despite it's #34 chart placing in Canada, I can honestly say I don't remember it at all.  I first came into MT in the days of napster and was always told they had ZERO success in North America.  Glad I decided to do a little research 

Modern Talking - Brother Louie

Written By: Henk on 07/04/09 at 12:29 am

That's awesome!
Did they have other hits there?  I know they had an album 'The Sound of Masquerade' that spawned another single with 'Everyday Loser'

No, just the one.

Written By: barry on 07/04/09 at 10:46 am

Wall of Voodoo - Far Side of Crazy (1985)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8P7Pwzf2uM

This song peaked at #23 on the Australian charts.

... I love the cowboy hats, black spiky hair, and the scary clown!

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/09 at 11:01 am

^ Didn't know they had other chart hits besides 'Mexican Radio'.  Cool song!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/04/09 at 1:30 pm

"Boom Boom, 6th graders bangin in their room"? :D

It used to be played at dances at my school too.  Not exactly a good message for kids of that age lol

So, it just wasn't at my grade school dance?  ;D  Weird!

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/04/09 at 1:31 pm

Electric Avenue - Eddie Grant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5MtAmT24g

Written By: Paul on 07/04/09 at 1:56 pm

One of Donna's that I've always liked...

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/09 at 4:41 pm

^ Was that a cover of Jon and Vangelis, or was hers the original?  I can never remember.  I do prefer Donna's version

Written By: Henk on 07/08/09 at 3:16 pm

Anyone remember this? My Forbidden Lover - Tapps Tapps were an all male Canadian trio... with guest vocalists I assume.

Swiss genius: Vicious Games - Yello feat. Rush Winters | I Love You - Yello

And one other 1980's gem: Fadeaway - Loz Netto's Bzar Sorry about the poor audio.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/09/09 at 12:57 am

If you like Laserdance, you'll like Koto.

Which is a cheap excuse for me to bring lasers and Koto into the same sentence, and check out Dragon's Legend, a 1988 Italo-synthpop piece also known as Dragon's Lair, after the 1983 laserdisc video game that was the source for its samples.

Lead on, adventurer... your quest awaits...

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/09 at 11:56 am

Anyone remember this? My Forbidden Lover - Tapps Tapps were an all male Canadian trio... with guest vocalists I assume.

Swiss genius: Vicious Games - Yello feat. Rush Winters | I Love You - Yello

And one other 1980's gem: Fadeaway - Loz Netto's Bzar Sorry about the poor audio.

Man, can't say as I have heard of Tapps before.  Must add that one to my collection. 

I've always liked that Loz Netto track.  It was a minor hit in the USA.

Written By: midnite on 07/09/09 at 9:33 pm

Foo Bar - Koto is very good for those Italo Instrumentals.  Jabdah is my favorite song.
Henk - Being from the US, I dont "remember" Tapps, but I have heard them.  Good stuff!!!!

Public Passion - Flash In The Night.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diBO_3fbUFU

The Moments - The Station.  Finally on youtube!!!!!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3XLdRyRiOk

The Adventures - Send My Heart.  I love the chorus. Wish I could get my hands on more of their stuff. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1FJqry3xa4

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/09 at 9:40 pm

The Adventures - Send My Heart.   I love the chorus. Wish I could get my hands on more of their stuff.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1FJqry3xa4

The Adventures are awesome!  I have their 1984 debut and 1988 album 'Sea of Love' on cassette.

'Broken Land' is my favourite.  It was their sole UK Top 40 hit and only charting single in America (Where it just scraped the US Hot 100)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87PMeLEHISA

Terry Sharpe, lead singer of The Adventures played the boy in the video for 'Shy Boy' by Bananarama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sfjr7Hbq54

Written By: midnite on 07/09/09 at 9:50 pm

Oh yeah.  Broken Land is great too.  I googled their CD's to see if they are in print and can't find them =(
Thanks for the informative tidbit on the Banarama video!!

Cook Da Books - Your Eyes.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhzb47dKciE&feature=related

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/09 at 5:27 pm

Anyone remember this 1983 classic?

The Belle Stars - Sign of the Times

That same year, a Canadian group called Mensroom had a Top 40 hit here with a cover version that sounded almost exactly the same.  I used to have trouble telling them apart ...

Mensroom - Sign of the Times

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/13/09 at 7:50 pm

We Close Our Eyes - Go West

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl3PYk_s4Kk

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/09 at 8:16 pm

^ Heck yeah!  A wicked video to accompany a great song!

Written By: robby76 on 07/14/09 at 8:13 pm

Anyone remember this 1983 classic?

The Belle Stars - Sign of the Times

I saw Belle Star live at an 80s reunion concert in 2002. They were great... Clapping Song, Iko Iko etc. I was at the front row and she loved the fact I was the only one up and dancing.  ;D

Written By: stingr22 on 07/17/09 at 12:53 am

Here's a few that come to mind, from back in the early years of MTV, when the record companies didn't dictate what they played.  The programmers just put the music on that they liked and introduced us to a lot of stuff that we would have never seen otherwise...

One In A Million - The Romantics  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPP3278AIJU&feature=PlayList&p=97CD8BF8C4D871F0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

Stand By - Roman Holiday  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrIVgO3lVdU 

Why Me? - Planet P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svl1t4b1RD4

He Can't Love You - Michael Stanley Band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44bamW7ZbMo

The Stand - The Alarm  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFf7FVICbE4

I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0qNGYxUwmU

Stand And Deliver - Adam & The Ants  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPgHbt0ODr4

White Horse - Laid Back  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8j2ej5jqQw

She Sheila - The Producers  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT6Lv5iBsLM&feature=related

Love Is Like A Rock - Donnie Iris & The Cruisers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Z7PWl7RaI&feature=related

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/09 at 9:01 am

He Can't Love You - Michael Stanley Band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44bamW7ZbMo

FINALLY!

Someone who remembers that song! 8)
That one is definately a classic!

Check for new replies or respond here...