inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Jackson Shatters Billboard Records

Written By: Claybricks on 07/01/09 at 9:06 am

Michael Jackson Shatters Billboard Records

Jul 1 2009 9:27 AM EDT

Michael Jackson Shatters Billboard Records Jackson's music dominates the Top Pop Catalog, Digital Albums, Digital Songs and Top Comprehensive Albums charts.

By James Montgomery

Given the news all week of his posthumous sales surge, it comes as no surprise that Michael Jackson is officially the King of Pop charts again.

According to Nielsen SoundScan, Michael Jackson albums and Jackson-related compilations hold the top nine positions on Billboard's Top Pop Catalog chart, all posting remarkable jumps in sales in the days following the singer's death. (SoundScan tracks sales through the close of business on Sunday.)

Jackson himself holds a record eight of the top 10 spots, while a Jackson 5 compilation also landed in the upper tier of the chart. His Number Ones greatest hits package leads the pack at #1, selling more than 108,000 copies, a staggering 2,340 percent sales increase. The Essential Michael Jackson and Thriller follow at #2 and #3, selling more than 102,000 and 101,000 copies, respectively.

His breakthrough Off the Wall album is at #4, selling more than 33,000 copies nearly 30 years after it was initially released. The Jackson 5's Ultimate Collection is next at #5, with sales of more than 18,000 copies. His 1987 Bad album returns at #6 (17,000 sold); Dangerous is at #7 (14,000); HIStory — Volume 1 is at #8 (12,000); and the 2004 Jackson box set, The Ultimate Collection, lands at #9 (11,000).

The lone non-Jackson album in the top 10 is a reissue of the "Woodstock" movie soundtrack, which sold 8,000 copies to snag the #10 spot.

All in all, Jackson's solo albums sold more than 415,000 copies this past week, according to SoundScan, an amazing number, considering his titles sold a combined 10,000 copies in the week prior to his death. The one-week total is also nearly 40 percent more than what his catalog had sold in all of 2009.

Of the 415,000 albums sold, 58 percent were digital downloads, which means Jackson has set another record: He's the first artist to hold six of the top 10 slots on the Digital Albums chart, including the top four spots. He also holds a staggering 25 songs on Billboard's Hot Digital Songs chart, smashing a record set by David Cook last year.

Early SoundScan reports have the Black Eyed Peas' The E.N.D. claiming the top spot on next week's Billboard's Top 200, with sales of more than 88,000 copies. If that figure holds true, this week marks the first time that a catalog album has sold more copies than the album that sits at #1 on the Top 200.

Catalog albums — defined by Billboard as being albums that are more than 18 months old and have fallen below position 100 on the Billboard Top 200 chart — are ineligible to appear on the Top 200 albums chart. They can chart on the all-encompassing Top Comprehensive Albums list, where, once again, Jackson is on top, holding the top three positions on the chart, followed by The E.N.D. at #4.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1615071/20090701/jackson_michael.jhtml

Subject: Re: Michael Jackson Shatters Billboard Records

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/01/09 at 3:27 pm

That's my man!

THE THRILLER MAY BE GONE, BUT THE THRILL LIVES ON!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/01/09 at 4:30 pm

Holy crap, that's amazing!

There will only be one Michael!

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/09 at 4:32 pm

I wonder if this will emulate in Canada as well.  Only time will tell.

Written By: Claybricks on 07/08/09 at 8:59 am

Jul 8 2009 9:20 AM EDT

Michael Jackson Dominates Billboard Charts

In the second week after his death, King of Pop's records flew off shelves.

By Gil Kaufman

Michael Jackson fans paid tribute to the King of Pop the best way they knew how last week: by buying his music. In the first full week following the death of Jackson at age 50, and with retailers fully prepared for the onslaught of buyers, the fallen pop idol sold an astonishing 800,000 solo albums, dominating the charts in a way not seen since his heyday in the early 1980s.

According to figures provided by Nielsen SoundScan, Jackson's sales nearly doubled from the week before, with his music occupying all 10 spots on the Top Catalog Albums chart, led by Number Ones, which sold 339,000 copies, a 215 percent increase from the previous week. Unlike the reporting period ending June 28 (just four days after Jackson's death), this time retailers had a chance to stock up, so physical albums represented 82 percent of MJ's sales, nearly double the figure from the previous one, according to Billboard.

Jackson's iconic Thriller album sold 187,000 copies (an 86 percent increase from the week before). The Essential Michael Jackson comes in at #3 with sales of 125,000, followed by Off the Wall (51,000), Dangerous (26,000), Bad (23,000), a Jackson 5 compilation (10,000), a solo Ultimate Collection (just under 10,000), his final solo album, Invincible (8,000), and Greatest Hits HIStory, Vol. 1 at #10 (close to 8,000).

Jackson's albums dominated the Top Pop Catalog charts, which tracks albums that are more than 18 months old and don't have a current single on the radio. Though the discs were not eligible for inclusion on the Top 200 albums chart, the top two Jackson titles easily bested that chart's top album, the Now That's What I Call Music! Vol. 31 compilation, which logged 169,000 in sales.

Jackson also dominated on the Billboard Hot Digital Songs chart, with five out of the top 10 slots. The song that has become Jackson's unofficial theme in death, "Man in the Mirror," sold 159,000 copies, coming in just behind the Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling." Overall, Jackson songs sold at a clip of 2.2 million downloads over the past week, just a shade under the 2.6 million that moved in the days after his death. In light of the all-star tribute to Jackson on Tuesday at Los Angeles' Staples Center, the singer's music is likely to dominate the charts again next week, especially if digital singles of performances from Mariah Carey, Usher, Stevie Wonder and Jennifer Hudson are released this week.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1615461/20090708/jackson_michael.jhtml#

Written By: Frank on 07/08/09 at 1:01 pm

Jul 8 2009 9:20 AM EDT

Michael Jackson Dominates Billboard Charts

In the second week after his death, King of Pop's records flew off shelves.

By Gil Kaufman

Michael Jackson fans paid tribute to the King of Pop the best way they knew how last week: by buying his music. In the first full week following the death of Jackson at age 50, and with retailers fully prepared for the onslaught of buyers, the fallen pop idol sold an astonishing 800,000 solo albums, dominating the charts in a way not seen since his heyday in the early 1980s.

According to figures provided by Nielsen SoundScan, Jackson's sales nearly doubled from the week before, with his music occupying all 10 spots on the Top Catalog Albums chart, led by Number Ones, which sold 339,000 copies, a 215 percent increase from the previous week. Unlike the reporting period ending June 28 (just four days after Jackson's death), this time retailers had a chance to stock up, so physical albums represented 82 percent of MJ's sales, nearly double the figure from the previous one, according to Billboard.

Jackson's iconic Thriller album sold 187,000 copies (an 86 percent increase from the week before). The Essential Michael Jackson comes in at #3 with sales of 125,000, followed by Off the Wall (51,000), Dangerous (26,000), Bad (23,000), a Jackson 5 compilation (10,000), a solo Ultimate Collection (just under 10,000), his final solo album, Invincible (8,000), and Greatest Hits HIStory, Vol. 1 at #10 (close to 8,000).

Jackson's albums dominated the Top Pop Catalog charts, which tracks albums that are more than 18 months old and don't have a current single on the radio. Though the discs were not eligible for inclusion on the Top 200 albums chart, the top two Jackson titles easily bested that chart's top album, the Now That's What I Call Music! Vol. 31 compilation, which logged 169,000 in sales.

Jackson also dominated on the Billboard Hot Digital Songs chart, with five out of the top 10 slots. The song that has become Jackson's unofficial theme in death, "Man in the Mirror," sold 159,000 copies, coming in just behind the Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling." Overall, Jackson songs sold at a clip of 2.2 million downloads over the past week, just a shade under the 2.6 million that moved in the days after his death. In light of the all-star tribute to Jackson on Tuesday at Los Angeles' Staples Center, the singer's music is likely to dominate the charts again next week, especially if digital singles of performances from Mariah Carey, Usher, Stevie Wonder and Jennifer Hudson are released this week.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1615461/20090708/jackson_michael.jhtml#

This really isn;t a surprise at all, pretty much everyone expected this.

Written By: Claybricks on 07/08/09 at 3:51 pm

Michael Jackson's memorial 2nd most-watched funeral ever, after Princess Di, say Nielsen ratings

BY Daivd Hinckley AND Richard Huff
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Wednesday, July 8th 2009, 3:38 PM

"Every major network covered Michael Jackson's memorial service at the Staples Center, and for good reason - 30.9 million viewers tuned in."

More than 31 million people tuned in to television coverage of Michael Jackson's memorial service yesterday, and millions more watched on computers at work, in parks and elsewhere.

Measuring viewership on 18 networks that carried the live coverage, 1-4 p.m., the ratings service Nielsen calculated the average audience at 31.14 million viewers.

That makes it the second most-watched daytime funeral Nielsen has ever measured.

Princess Diana's funeral, which began at 6 a.m., drew an estimated 33.25 million viewers spread across eight networks on Sept. 6, 1997.

Former President Ronald Reagan's mid-day funeral drew 20.8 million people on June 11, 2004. A prime-time program on Reagan's burial that same evening drew an estimated 35.07 million viewers.

The remarkable Nielsen numbers for yesterday's Jackson memorial slightly undercount the total viewership, since Nielsen didn't release figures for local stations such as WPIX/Ch. 11 or cable networks like NY1 and Current.

On-line viewership also soared yesterday, perhaps reflecting fans who were at work during the service and watched it on their computers.

MSNBC reported nearly 19 million online streams, topping the network's previous high set this January during President Barack Obama's inauguration.

CNN said it had the second largest streaming day in its history, with 10.5 million streams in all and 4.4 million during the memorial service. The network recorded 26.9 million streams on Inauguration Day.

ABC News Digital reported close to six million live streams of the memorial service on abcnews.com and its partner sites.

The coverage was also a hit abroad. United Kingdom rating services earlier reported that six million British viewers watched the Jackson service.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/michael_jackson/2009/07/08/2009-07-08_michael_jacksons_memorial_2nd_mostwatched_funeral_ever_after_princess_di_say_nie.html

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/09 at 7:24 pm

I wonder if this will emulate in Canada as well.  Only time will tell.

And it did, but it wasn't as grand.  In America, Billboard has a rule where older albums are not eligible to chart in the current Top 200 Album chart, thus can only qualify for the Top Catalog Album chart.  

As this rule does not exist in Canada and many other countries, older albums are eligible to chart in the current mainstream.  Michael's presence is currently in the Top 100 Albums in Canada...

Current Peak Chart Positions for Canada ...

3 | Number Ones - Michael Jackson
15 | Thriller 25 - Michael Jackson
16 | Essential Michael Jackson
33 | Thriller - Michael Jackson
48 | Bad (Remastered) - Michael Jackson
51 | Off the Wall (Remastered) - Michael Jackson
60 | Dangerous (Remastered) - Michael Jackson

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/09 at 7:32 pm

If anything, his albums saw the biggest rise in the UK.

Michael Jackson has a BIG presence in the UK charts at the moment.  Here is the current UK chart ...

THE ALBUMS
TW | LW |
01 | 01 | Michael Jackson - The Essential
03 | 10 | Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
04 | 06 | Michael Jackson - Thriller
05 | 82 | Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five - The Motown Years
07 | 03 | Michael Jackson - Number Ones
09 | 18 | Michael Jackson - Thriller 25
14 | 05 | Michael Jackson - King of Pop
15 | 23 | Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five - The Best of
17 | 33 | Michael Jackson - History: Past, Present and Future Book 1

THE SINGLES
TW | LW |
03 | 02 | Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror
20 | 13 | Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
21 | 10 | Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
25 | 12 | Michael Jackson - Thriller
28 | 32 | Michael Jackson - They Don't Care About Us
29 | 25 | Michael Jackson - Black or White
31 | 26 | Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana
32 | 19 | Michael Jackson - Beat It
36 | 118 | Jackson Five - Who's Lovin' You
39 | 33 | Michael Jackson - Earth Song
40 | 35 | Michael Jackson - You Are Not Alone
42 | 34 | Michael Jackson - The Way You Make Me Feel
44 | 63 | Michael Jackson - Heal the World
45 | 40 | Michael Jackson - Bad
48 | 38 | Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
49 | 65 | Jackson Five - I'll Be There
51 | 83 | Michael Jackson - Will You Be There
57 | 43 | Jackson Five - I Want You Back
59 | 50 | Jackson Five - ABC
62 | 90 | Michael Jackson - Human Nature
69 | 46 | Michael Jackson - Ben
74 | -- | Michael Jackson - Smile

Written By: robby76 on 07/12/09 at 7:44 pm

I bought Thriller (remastered) a few days back on cd and I plan on getting Bad (remastered) soon too. They are staples for any music fan.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/13/09 at 9:18 pm

YAY!

And Robby, trust me, you will LOVE the "Bad" remastered disc. It's awesome!

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/09 at 9:31 pm

If anything, his albums saw the biggest rise in the UK.

Michael Jackson has a BIG presence in the UK charts at the moment.  Here is the current UK chart ...

THE ALBUMS
TW | LW |
01 | 01 | Michael Jackson - The Essential
03 | 10 | Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
04 | 06 | Michael Jackson - Thriller
05 | 82 | Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five - The Motown Years
07 | 03 | Michael Jackson - Number Ones
09 | 18 | Michael Jackson - Thriller 25
14 | 05 | Michael Jackson - King of Pop
15 | 23 | Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five - The Best of
17 | 33 | Michael Jackson - History: Past, Present and Future Book 1

THE SINGLES
TW | LW |
03 | 02 | Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror
20 | 13 | Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
21 | 10 | Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
25 | 12 | Michael Jackson - Thriller
28 | 32 | Michael Jackson - They Don't Care About Us
29 | 25 | Michael Jackson - Black or White
31 | 26 | Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana
32 | 19 | Michael Jackson - Beat It
36 | 118 | Jackson Five - Who's Lovin' You
39 | 33 | Michael Jackson - Earth Song
40 | 35 | Michael Jackson - You Are Not Alone
42 | 34 | Michael Jackson - The Way You Make Me Feel
44 | 63 | Michael Jackson - Heal the World
45 | 40 | Michael Jackson - Bad
48 | 38 | Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
49 | 65 | Jackson Five - I'll Be There
51 | 83 | Michael Jackson - Will You Be There
57 | 43 | Jackson Five - I Want You Back
59 | 50 | Jackson Five - ABC
62 | 90 | Michael Jackson - Human Nature
69 | 46 | Michael Jackson - Ben
74 | -- | Michael Jackson - Smile

In the Complete current UK Top 100 chart, there are more singles ...

77 | -- | USA for Africa - We Are the World
79 | 59 | Jacksons - Can You Feel It
80 | 54 | Michael Jackson - Rock With You
84 | 55 | Jacksons - Blame it on the Boogie
87 | 60 | Michael Jackson - You Rock My World
89 | 66 | Michael Jackson - Leave Me Alone
91 | 57 | Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Something
100 | 78 | Michael Jackson with Siedah Garrett - I Just Can't Stop Loving You

That's a total of 30 Michael Jackson songs in the current UK chart.  What's cool is that much of those downloads are probably from today's teen and youth generation who weren't around when Michael was popular

Written By: robby76 on 07/14/09 at 9:03 am

YAY!

And Robby, trust me, you will LOVE the "Bad" remastered disc. It's awesome!

Yep - I got "Bad" the day I posted. Love the bonus track "Fly Away" (which Rebbie covered too). I also LOVE all the album sleeves, photos etc. They did a nice job on those.

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/09 at 4:34 pm

New chart released:  Michael Jackson has 14 albums in the current Top 100 Albums Chart in Canada

01 | 02 | Number Ones - Michael Jackson
02 | 03 | Thriller 25 - Michael Jackson
04 | 09 | Essential - Michael Jackson
06 | 23 | Thriller (Remastered) - Michael Jackson
08 | 21 | Bad (Remastered) - Michael Jackson
09 | 20 | Vol. 1 Greatest Hits - Michael Jackson
10 | 27 | Off the Wall (Remastered) - Michael Jackson
13 | 31 | Dangerous (Remastered) - Michael Jackson
19 | 77 | 20th Century Millenium Masters - The Jackson 5
27 | 67 | 20th Century Millenium Masters - Michael Jackson
29 | NE | Ultimate Collection - Michael Jackson
46 | 94 | Gold - Michael Jackson
59 | NE | Gold - The Jackson 5
87 | NE | Ultimate Collection - The Jackson 5

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/19/09 at 7:39 pm

*screaming*

YAY MICHAEL! ROCK ON MAN! YAY!

I didn't buy any cds because I already have most of them, but I've bought my weight in magazines. LOL.

Written By: Starde on 07/21/09 at 2:52 pm

*screaming*

YAY MICHAEL! ROCK ON MAN! YAY!

I didn't buy any cds because I already have most of them, but I've bought my weight in magazines. LOL.

Oh yeah, I got my ass to the store to get 3 or 4 tribute magazines last week. Prior to his death, the only MJ CD that I had was The Essential Michael Jackson CD I got a few years ago, but I've always said I'd get all his original cds when I got the chance. Finally got the majority of 'em 2 weeks ago (why the hell don't they sell Blood on the Dancefloor in stores?!). ;D It's so surreal that the world as gone on for almost a month without MJ. It still feels weird when I think about it 'cause it doesn't feel like a month... :-\\

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/21/09 at 8:54 pm

Hey Starde.

I don't know why stores don't stock BOTDF. It's a great album and I like it. (not to mentionm the video for the title track)  I have a bunch of MJ albums, most of his solo efforts and I've bought TWENTY-FOUR different commemorative magazines. It's kind of embarassing. LOL. When I dump an armload of books in front of the cashier, they look at me like  :o. LOL But I don't mind. It's Michael and I love Michael.  :) And yeah, it seems really surreal that Michael has been gone for almost a month. But it doesn't seem like it to me. I avoid the news--just waiting on the toxicology reprt and for someone to kick the mess out of Dr. Murray--and just enjoy his music in the meantime.  ;D

Just remember where Michael is, he feels no pain and is always happy. Truly happy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/22/09 at 8:07 pm

I don't think MJ's popularity musically speaking ever really went away (as long as people are still getting into the songs for instance), but his death seemed to really make it skyrocket. :(  This one secondhand record store I go to alot, was completely sold out of his new and used stuff a couple weeks ago.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/22/09 at 8:14 pm

I don't think MJ's popularity musically speaking ever really went away (as long as people are still getting into the songs for instance), but his death seemed to really make it skyrocket. :(  This one secondhand record store I go to alot, was completely sold out of his new and used stuff a couple weeks ago.

This one used record store I go to is all sold out too....vinyl, CDs, collectibles, etc.....

The Wal-Mart near my home is selling some MJ CD's for $7.00.

Written By: woops on 07/23/09 at 11:49 am

One thrift store had "Thriller" for 25 dollars

I actually have "Thriller", "Bad", and "Off The Wall" in vinyl.

Written By: Starde on 08/06/09 at 6:11 pm

Hey Starde.

I don't know why stores don't stock BOTDF. It's a great album and I like it. (not to mentionm the video for the title track)  I have a bunch of MJ albums, most of his solo efforts and I've bought TWENTY-FOUR different commemorative magazines. It's kind of embarassing. LOL. When I dump an armload of books in front of the cashier, they look at me like  :o. LOL But I don't mind. It's Michael and I love Michael.  :) And yeah, it seems really surreal that Michael has been gone for almost a month. But it doesn't seem like it to me. I avoid the news--just waiting on the toxicology reprt and for someone to kick the mess out of Dr. Murray--and just enjoy his music in the meantime.  ;D

Just remember where Michael is, he feels no pain and is always happy. Truly happy.

Holy sh*t! :o 24 magazines?! Damn woman! :P Yeah, the tox. reports are taking a long ass time and Dr. Murray... >:( Well, someone's ass is goin' down.
I love the music video to "Blood on the Dance Floor". Saucy, haha. ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/06/09 at 6:21 pm

Holy sh*t! :o 24 magazines?! Damn woman! :P Yeah, the tox. reports are taking a long ass time and Dr. Murray... >:( Well, someone's ass is goin' down.
I love the music video to "Blood on the Dance Floor". Saucy, haha. ;D

Hi Starde.  :-[ It's 27 now. LOL. I have a weakness for magazines, because some have such lovely pictures of him, and I LOVE my pictures of Michael. (I've collected close to 3 thousand I estimate. I stopped counting years ago.) And new ones pop up every day.  ;)

Dr Murray is a...well, I'm a Christian woman so I can't say just what he is.  >:(

And yeah, Blood on the Dancefloor is the stuff. I was 10 when it premiered and it took my breath away.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...