inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Random 80s Facts

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/09 at 11:00 pm

Feel free to post random 80s stuff ...

♦ One of the most popular songs in Canada of 1989 was called It Doesn't Matter by a duo named Coleman Wilde.  This song originally featured as a jingle for Foster's Beer and upon release as a single, it stormed the Canadian Top 20.  I remember it well ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRbJrAkf7E

♦ Depeche Mode's 1984 album 'Some Great Reward' spent 55 consecutive weeks in the Canadian 100 Albums chart, peaking at #34 along the way.  This was quite an unprecedented success considering Depeche Mode had almost no success in North America prior to this

♦ 'I'm So Excited' by the Pointer Sisters originally only made #33 in America (in 1982).  A 1984 remix sailed into the Top 10

♦ The tragic story of Heather O'Rourke:  she died in 1988 during post production of 'Polgergeist III'.  Rather than stop production, a new ending was re shot featuring a look-a-like actress.  This is why you only see the back of Carol Ann towards the end of the film.

♦ In the UK, one of the biggest hits of 1986 is actually from 1957:  Jackie Wilson re-entered the chart at #1 with 'Reet Petite'

Subject: Re: Random 80s Facts

Written By: Paul on 07/22/09 at 7:04 am

In Britain in 1984, three million-selling singles topped the chart consecutively (the first of only three times this has happened...)

They were 'Two Tribes' - Frankie Goes To Hollywood, 'Careless Whisper' - George Michael (or Wham featuring George Michael for our US friends!) and 'I Just Called To Say I Love You' ( 8-P) - Stevie Wonder...

In addition, two other singles clocked up over a million that year...'Last Christmas/Everything She Wants' - Wham and 'Do They Know It's Christmas' - Band Aid

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/22/09 at 6:33 pm

- In 1981, VCR sales rose 72% in 12 months. By 1989, 60 percent of American households with televisions received cable service.

- Greenhouse gas offically enters as a term, in 1988.

- Condom ads first debut, in 1987.

- The parental advisory sticker and acid rain, debuted in 1985.

- The juice box was introduced in 1983, as was Hooter's.

- Childproof bottles debuted in 1982.

-  Bill Gates made next to nothing, when he licensed MS-DOS.

Written By: BrandyBlue on 11/01/09 at 2:22 pm

in 1987, Playtex was the first in the United States to advertise brassieres on a live model instead of on a form. They filmed the spots in Australia to avoid a stir.

Written By: woops on 11/01/09 at 2:28 pm

Yeah nothing about "you know who" since I know "Debbie Gibson" sucks  ::)

MTV was to only to air Guns N' Roses "Welcome To The Jungle" once

The video that spent the most time #1 on "Dial MTV" was "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard

The first video to air on "Yo! MTV Raps" was "Microphone Fiend" by Eric B. & Rakim

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/09 at 2:44 pm

The rubik's cube had 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 permutations,

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/01/09 at 7:41 pm

I will NEVER in my life buy another Rubiks cube.  >:( Got so pissed with mine that i threw it against the wall and it shattered.

Written By: karen on 11/01/09 at 8:14 pm

Yeah nothing about "you know who" since I know "Debbie Gibson" sucks   ::)

Honestly i haven't seen anyone say this for ages.  It was only when you got so tiresome mentioning her with every other post

Written By: woops on 11/01/09 at 9:56 pm

My intentions was to get people interested with her music (ie later material), that that have failed and I ended up as a joke on this board  :-X :-[ :P

Which is why I chose to be a closet fan since I don't want to be laughed at for listening to "crappy music". OK, I'll shut up now...

Written By: karen on 11/01/09 at 10:12 pm

My intentions was to get people interested with her music (ie later material), that that have failed and I ended up as a joke on this board  :-X :-

♦ In the UK, one of the biggest hits of 1986 is actually from 1957:  Jackie Wilson re-entered the chart at #1 with 'Reet Petite'

It was used in an advert for Levi's.  Stand By Me by Ben E King reached #1 the following year after also featuring in a Levi's advert

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/02/09 at 12:28 am

I will NEVER in my life buy another Rubiks cube.  >:( Got so pissed with mine that i threw it against the wall and it shattered.
  after trying for weeks to make mine work, i stomped on it and threw the pieces in the trash! and felt alot better :-)

Written By: karen on 11/02/09 at 7:49 am

after trying for weeks to make mine work, i stomped on it and threw the pieces in the trash! and felt alot better :-)

No disassemble!    :\'(

Written By: woops on 11/02/09 at 10:27 am

But the way you keep mentioning it means that you constantly remind us.   :-\\

That sarcastic comment was the first I've posted about the artist in a while ourside of the board games.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/02/09 at 6:37 pm

Hey Woops. I like Debbie.  ;D Don't feel bad about liking her.

I'm loud and off the charts about Michael Jackson. LOL.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/02/09 at 7:07 pm

;D  I'll never be able to solve a Rubik's Cube as long as I live.  My dog chewed up the one I had when I was a kid. 

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/09 at 7:13 pm

It was used in an advert for Levi's.  Stand By Me by Ben E King reached #1 the following year after also featuring in a Levi's advert

I knew that about the Jackie Wilson one.  'Stand By Me' was actually re-released (or was it re-recorded?) to co-incide with the film of the same name.  The accompanying music video for it featured River Phoenix and Wil Wheaton.

Still, both beautiful songs to this day :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/09 at 7:15 pm

;D  I'll never be able to solve a Rubik's Cube as long as I live.  My dog chewed up the one I had when I was a kid. 

The last part of that sentence just killed me with laughter ;D

Written By: woops on 11/03/09 at 2:08 pm

Hey Woops. I like Debbie.  ;D Don't feel bad about liking her.

I'm loud and off the charts about Michael Jackson. LOL.

Michael Jackson was and still is a legend.

Debbie Gibson is a joke and most of her hardcore fans are delusional fools that think she ranks with Whitney or Mariah despite that she'll never have a huge or moderate comeback. Not to mention they would support her upcoming reality show... sheesh!!! 

Plus, I mainly listen to "old school Top 40" and not really listen to much music.

Check for new replies or respond here...