inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Older 80s fans or nostalgists (beyond teens back then)?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/22/09 at 8:27 pm

Lots of times I've argued the point about how people about my age can be big 80s fans (from at least some firsthand experience) or even younger people who totally got into it after the fact.

On the other direction, I wonder how many adult fans there are. Like over their late 40s or 50ish right now, making them out of their teens by the time MTV came around and the fashions got popular around 1982. They might've not worn all the hairstyles or clothes (or at least to a more appropriate extent, lol), but so many of them seem to like the music and tv shows, for instance. When I was growing up, alot of them seemed to be casual fans.

Subject: Re: Older 80s fans or nostalgists (beyond teens back then)?

Written By: gibbo on 07/22/09 at 9:34 pm

At the time I thought the 80's were rubbish. I really was a child of the 60's and 70's much more...  Now that I've lived through subsequent decades ... my views of the 80's have softened and many songs I hear from that era bring back fond memories. I still enjoy the early decades more (as those were my formative years) ... but the 80's are soooo much better than whatever followed since.

Written By: Frank on 07/23/09 at 1:09 am

At the time I thought the 80's were rubbish. I really was a child of the 60's and 70's much more...  Now that I've lived through subsequent decades ... my views of the 80's have softened and many songs I hear from that era bring back fond memories. I still enjoy the early decades more (as those were my formative years) ... but the 80's are soooo much better than whatever followed since.

Um, exactly what gibbo wrote. Couldn't have said it better. Karma for you

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/09 at 2:39 am

At the time I thought the 80's were rubbish. I really was a child of the 60's and 70's much more...   Now that I've lived through subsequent decades ... my views of the 80's have softened and many songs I hear from that era bring back fond memories. I still enjoy the early decades more (as those were my formative years) ... but the 80's are soooo much better than whatever followed since.

That's funny, I feel the same way about the mid and late 90s! ;) Even though I was still a middle school and high school kid then, I already preferred 80s music or classic rock over alot of the new stuff (I liked some of it, but not hip hop). I agree though, when some stuff passes you start to usually enjoy it more. Now I'm a huge fan of alot of songs from, say 1997 that I was just lukewarm on back then.

Written By: 90steen on 07/23/09 at 8:53 pm

This is a good question. The only people I know in that age group are some of my aunts and uncles, whom I've never talked to about the 80's. My dad was born in 1941, so by the 80's he was tuned out of culture. All my siblings would be nostalgic, but we were all young and not in the age group you mentioned. Our birth years 1969, 1972, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1981, and 1984.

But it's making me wonder, one I'm in my late 40's - early 50's if I'll be nostalgic for this decade? I think so, being a college kid in the early years and having my first kid in the late years.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/23/09 at 10:16 pm

Just turned 32, this July, and off hand the 80's are alot better of a decade, than say..... the 90's.

Written By: Keyboard Smoothies on 07/25/09 at 6:26 pm

Yeah, I mean the 90s are better than the freaking 00s ... but that's not hard!  ;D

They weren't a bad time just kinda boring and sorta lacking character. Almost just a bridge between the 80s and 21st century and nothing else. :(

Written By: robby76 on 07/26/09 at 9:59 am

Our birth years 1969, 1972, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1981, and 1984.

Nice big family you have there!

As for older 80s fans, my ex-boss who was in his 40s loved the 80s and said they were 'his decade'. I always felt that odd as back in 2000 when I was in my mid 20s, I thought they were mine.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/09 at 11:05 am

This is a good question. The only people I know in that age group are some of my aunts and uncles, whom I've never talked to about the 80's. My dad was born in 1941, so by the 80's he was tuned out of culture. All my siblings would be nostalgic, but we were all young and not in the age group you mentioned. Our birth years 1969, 1972, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1981, and 1984.

But it's making me wonder, one I'm in my late 40's - early 50's if I'll be nostalgic for this decade? I think so, being a college kid in the early years and having my first kid in the late years.

Yeah, my dad is about yours' age and even though he likes surprisingly a bit of 80s music, I can remember him half jokingly being annoyed at rap or (at the time) hard rock like Bon Jovi, saying it was noise, lol.

I've thought about that too. I'm sure in 2030 (probably way sooner even) I'll be nostalgic for right now as a time I wasn't quite a kid anymore, but still a relatively young guy and remembering when I first heard Katy Perry or something. I don't have any kids yet myself, but alot has changed personally for me in the last couple years, so I get what you're saying about that too.

As for older 80s fans, my ex-boss who was in his 40s loved the 80s and said they were 'his decade'. I always felt that odd as back in 2000 when I was in my mid 20s, I thought they were mine.  ;D

Nice, guess that just shows how much the same things can appeal to different people. It's kinda cool to think how songs can be anyone's soundtrack to life, whether it's a 7 year old riding in the car to elementary school, or a 25 year old young adult out nightclubbing.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/26/09 at 8:13 pm

I think that being born in the mid-late 1970s, 1976 to be exact, I've been through all of the trends and fads of the decade.  Most of them would make anyone who was born later than 1985 cringe.

The poodle hair, United Colours of Beneton, all of that sort of stuff.  Of course my mother could never even begin to afford all of the stuff that my brother and I always wanted.

Beneton clothes, the Michael Jackson Beat It jackets, the whole thing of just being trendy pre-teen kids.  Some of it was really quite hideous.

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/27/09 at 11:25 am

when i first saw mtv about 1982, i was 27!  just married and my  first kid on the way.  music to me at that time was kinda dull imo, but here came this new format and along with it music changes virtually overnight! all of the sudden the radio stations were all playing songs which had videos on mtv! it  was awsome, the new wave hit about the same time, now you had great bands like duran duran, U2, bananarama, the go go's,billy idol  and hundreds more, for me it was a shot in the arm i needed to get back into music!

Written By: ralfy on 07/29/16 at 9:41 pm

"The Go-Gos Say Farewell At Ridgefield Playhouse"

http://www.ctnow.com/music/hc-go-gos-ridgefield-playhouse-20160804-story.html

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/30/16 at 10:23 am

"The Go-Gos Say Farewell At Ridgefield Playhouse"

http://www.ctnow.com/music/hc-go-gos-ridgefield-playhouse-20160804-story.html

$150? Gimme a break, even Disney is cheaper than that, and I wouldn't say there was a big as what the Supremes were for the '60s. At least make $150 the price for the top seats, with the cheaper ones under $100.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/16 at 5:30 pm

$150? Gimme a break, even Disney is cheaper than that, and I wouldn't say there was a big as what the Supremes were for the '60s. At least make $150 the price for the top seats, with the cheaper ones under $100.

The Go-Go's are a legendary girl band.

Check for new replies or respond here...