inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the '80s the most globally accepted decade for music?

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/31/09 at 8:10 am

Another thing that many of you may point out is that when I look at all of the international charts from various eras and listen to coundtowns, I feel like the '80s (especially the middle of the decade) had the most worldwide appeal in terms of chart songs ever. The synthesizer and drum machine sounds were very neutral and evenly accepted worldwide which didn't create cultural bias. Yes, the '60s, '70s, and '90s had quite a good global following, but in the 2000s the new music became much more nationalized again. (Many American Idol/Glam Rap artists have little popularity in Europe, and the Rock Bands don't cross nationally over all that well either with the possible exception of Coldplay).

But the '80s probably had the best. Look at big 1983 and 1984 acts for example. The Police, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Wham!, Michael Jackson, Madonna (later on), Cyndi Lauper (later on as well), Culture Club, and countless others are equally representable worldwide, they're not simply built for American or British audiences. Having the world connect caused record sales to rebound a lot in the '80s and into the '90s. 

Subject: Re: Were the '80s the most globally accepted decade for music?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/31/09 at 11:19 am

Probally.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/31/09 at 2:21 pm

Another thing that many of you may point out is that when I look at all of the international charts from various eras and listen to coundtowns, I feel like the '80s (especially the middle of the decade) had the most worldwide appeal in terms of chart songs ever. The synthesizer and drum machine sounds were very neutral and evenly accepted worldwide which didn't create cultural bias. Yes, the '60s, '70s, and '90s had quite a good global following, but in the 2000s the new music became much more nationalized again. (Many American Idol/Glam Rap artists have little popularity in Europe, and the Rock Bands don't cross nationally over all that well either with the possible exception of Coldplay).

But the '80s probably had the best. Look at big 1983 and 1984 acts for example. The Police, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Wham!, Michael Jackson, Madonna (later on), Cyndi Lauper (later on as well), Culture Club, and countless others are equally representable worldwide, they're not simply built for American or British audiences. Having the world connect caused record sales to rebound a lot in the '80s and into the '90s. 

I kind of know what you're saying because there's something about the 80's that isn't horrible like the 00's and not too old school like the 50's.
I went to Spain this June and they played 80's music from America. There was definitely something very universal about 80's music.

Written By: Bobby on 08/15/09 at 9:45 am

I think 80s music has only been deemed 'acceptable' in the last 3 or 4 years in the UK as it was often laughed at for it's cheesiness. Since then, the boom took off with mainstream mixes of songs like Steve Winwood's 'Valerie' (entitled 'Call on me'), Beatfreaks's 'Somebody's watching me' and Robin Beck's 'First time'.

Written By: tad72 on 08/18/09 at 12:36 am

I love the music of the 80's. That's what I grew up with, it's the best!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/19/09 at 5:02 pm

I agree. :) I've said loads of times that I think the songs were just so catchy (fun, but also innocent and easy to listen to) that it was easy for alot of different people to enjoy them. It wasn't just teens who dug it either, even if they might've been the most hardcore fans... it extended on both sides to younger kids like me, or adults as well, that might've had something to do with being so huge all over the world too. So many of those songs just became classics.

It probably depended on the bands, but yeah I think some of that mainstream new wave or synthpop was (and still is) the most widely appreciated music, like Tears for Fears, the Cars, Police and Duran Duran.

Check for new replies or respond here...