inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Shakatak

Written By: Henk on 08/15/09 at 10:19 am

Shakatak are a British jazz-funk band, founded in 1980 by Bill Sharpe, Nigel Wright, Keith Winter, Steve Underwood and Roger Odell.
Vocalists Jackie Rawe and Jill Saward soon after joined the band. By the time of their second album (in 1982), Underwood was replaced by George Anderson.
Jackie Rawe left the band in 1984, leaving Jill Saward as a lead vocalist.
Nigel Wright also left the band (I don't know when) to pursue a rather successful career as a record producer.
Keith Winter was forced to retire from performing in the early 1990's, due to serious nerve damage. It wouldn't be until 2007 before he played his keyboard again.

The band never really landed in US, but they were very successful in Europe in the 1980's.
Shakatak are still around, producing about one album a year, and are hugely popular in Japan and the Far East.

Here's a short discography, with some chart positions:

YEAR 19811982198219821983 1984 1985 1985 1985 1987

SONG TITLE Easier Said Than Done Night Birds Streetwalkin' Invitations Dark Is The Night Down On The Street Watching You City Rhythm Day By Day  <with Al Jarreau> Mr. Manic & Sister Cool

NL #17#33#50  -- #21 #31 #13 #44 #42 #27

UK #12 #9 #38 #24 #15 #9   --   --   --   --

US   --   --   --   --   -- #27*   --   --   --   --

* Dance Music/Club Play Singles Chart.

Note: You may have to crank up the volume for the last video - and sadly it's a bad video quality, too.

So... What are your favorite Shakatak songs?

Subject: Re: Shakatak

Written By: Henk on 08/15/09 at 10:21 am

Although it's not easy to pick just two, I picked "Down On The Street" and "Watching You". I love the cheerfulness.

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/09 at 12:13 pm

Shakatak, one of my favourites.  Sadly, they had zero success here in Canada.  I have a Japanese CD titled 'The Very Best of Shakatak' which sucks because there is a manufacturing glitch on 'Night Birds', which is my all-time favourite from them.

Next would be 'Invitations'. 

Not a Shakatak song per se, but I also enjoy 'Change Your Mind' by Sharpe and Numan

Written By: Paul on 08/17/09 at 7:19 am

I have a Japanese CD titled 'The Very Best of Shakatak' which sucks because there is a manufacturing glitch on 'Night Birds', which is my all-time favourite from them.

You can't trust those Japanese!  ;)

They (Shakatak, not the Japanese!) and Level 42 were the spearhead of the short-lived Britfunk movement and also like Level 42, their earlier stuff is far better than the later...

'Easier Said Than Done' for me...

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/09 at 6:09 pm

You can't trust those Japanese!  ;)

LOL when the Japanese make compilation CDs, they go all out.  The CD contains no pictures of the band, nor does it have the Shakatak logo.  The picture on the front is of a Palm Tree, which naturally sums up the band beautifully ??? ;D

http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/200605/29/56/f0070556_1451038.jpg

Shakatak are a British jazz-funk band, founded in 1980 by Bill Sharpe, Nigel Wright, Keith Winter, Steve Underwood and Roger Odell.
Vocalists Jackie Rawe and Jill Saward soon after joined the band. By the time of their second album (in 1982), Underwood was replaced by George Anderson.
Jackie Rawe left the band in 1984, leaving Jill Saward as a lead vocalist.
Nigel Wright also left the band (I don't know when) to pursue a rather successful career as a record producer.
Keith Winter was forced to retire from performing in the early 1990's, due to serious nerve damage. It wouldn't be until 2007 before he played his keyboard again.

The band never really landed in US, but they were very successful in Europe in the 1980's.
Shakatak are still around, producing about one album a year, and are hugely popular in Japan and the Far East.

Here's a short discography, with some chart positions:

YEAR 19811982198219821983 1984 1985 1985 1985 1987

SONG TITLE Easier Said Than Done Night Birds Streetwalkin' Invitations Dark Is The Night Down On The Street Watching You City Rhythm Day By Day  <with Al Jarreau> Mr. Manic & Sister Cool

NL #17#33#50  -- #21 #31 #13 #44 #42 #27

UK #12 #9 #38 #24 #15 #9   --   --   --   --

US   --   --   --   --   -- #27*   --   --   --   --

* Dance Music/Club Play Singles Chart.

The Al Jarreau duet also made UK #53 in 1985

What's beyond the UK Top 75 ...

1983 - Out of This World
1984 - Watching You
1985 - City Rhythm
1989 - Turn the Music Up

Check for new replies or respond here...