inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Underground dance club in Seattle?

Written By: the_zman on 08/19/09 at 12:03 am

Someone posted on the 80s dance clubs page about the 80s Seattle dance club called "The Underground" (on University Way in the University District, Seattle WA 98105).

Do you have the address where the club was located, or remember what business it was under or what building it was?  I can't quite remember.  I'd love to get any info on the club that anyone might have.  I wonder what the space is used for now..

Subject: Re: The Underground dance club in Seattle?

Written By: Judah on 03/30/11 at 6:00 pm

The Underground was located in the basement of the building where Urban Outfitters is now, at 4518 University Way Northeast, Seattle, WA 98105. It was kind of a new wave dance club when it opened, but it had a problem with Nazi skinheads hanging out there later. It closed in the early 90s.

Written By: Jonny B. on 06/18/12 at 2:59 pm

"The Family" and many many more.  Formative years!

Written By: Unstoppable on 11/12/14 at 2:54 am

ZMan,
I knew the guy that owned the Underground.  When I met him, he was hanging his shingle as a small residential contractor in Seattle.  Jerry was his name.  He was a washed out rocker with so many stories about a young Curt and Dave, or Lane Staley and Courtney Love in the back room gettin' higher than a kite.... He could go on for hours about how he helped these young artists with laundry, a couch to crash on, and shows when they were just scraping bottom to stay alive.....
Ask him what happened, and he'll tell you, "Too much sex, drugs, and rock and roll."
Lost touch with Jerry about 12 years ago.  But just heard the new Foo Fighters Album and decided I needed to see if I could reconnect, and thank him for being a catalyst for some of the greatest rock bands ever.  That is how I found your post.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 11/15/14 at 11:06 am

There were several places that some of my elder-goth friends and acquaintances have told me about. I've heard about Skoochies (sp?), which I understand was sort of a new wave/underground 80's dance club (what might now be called goth) for people of all ages.

There was also the Monastery, which had a similar concept, being located in an old church. It got closed down since it became a breeding ground for prostitution.

Check for new replies or respond here...