inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Last Starfighter: 25th Anniversary

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/31/09 at 12:36 pm

This year marks the 25th anniversary, of the film, The Last Starfighter. Seems almost odd, that it was that long ago.

The film, is now available on Blu Ray, for the first time, ever.

Subject: Re: The Last Starfighter: 25th Anniversary

Written By: johnny5alive on 08/31/09 at 11:00 pm

i still think its a great movie, even though most people just dont get it! ::)

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/09 at 11:25 pm

I picked up the Blu-Ray copy the day it was released 8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/01/09 at 4:04 pm

I got the DVD.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/01/09 at 10:57 pm

DVD, Blu-Ray... what are these newfangled things of which you speak?

Didn't we all grow up wanting the video game?

OK, that was easy.  Now I've got the video game.  But some day, before I grow up, I'm gonna use the plans included with the game to build the real cabinet.

Written By: johnny5alive on 09/01/09 at 10:59 pm

i hate dvds!  i do have it on vhs! :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/09 at 6:27 am

i hate dvds! 

Why?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/02/09 at 9:26 am

I wouldn't mind, asking the same thing, too.

Written By: johnny5alive on 09/02/09 at 10:49 am

Why?

ive had lots of trouble with brand new dvds skipping and just freezing up! i bought a toshiba brand for over 200 dollars, they were supposed to be the best!  then a friend burnt me some dvds, and they wouldnt play at all in my 200 dollar dvd player!!  also do not like the fact, most dvds are letterbox and i hate the black bars!  i still have 30 year old vhs that work fine!  no skipping or freezing!  call me old fashioned if you will, i still think vinal records sound better than cd's too! :)

Written By: Mushroom on 09/02/09 at 11:33 am

also do not like the fact, most dvds are letterbox and i hate the black bars!   

Actually, I love them for the exact same reason.  After being forced to watch "Pan & Scan" for many years, I love watching movies in their original Wide Screen format.  No more cut off sceens, no more missing part of the shot because the original set was configured with a wide screen in mind.

Anybody that has seen "The Sound Of Music" in P&S knows what I am talking about.  Many times, you only seen half of the Van Trapp kids then.  Or "Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade", where you see Harrison Ford or Sean Connery on screen, but not both at once like you do in the wide screen format?

Or check out this site, will give you an idea how much you are missing:

http://www.widescreen.org/examples.shtml

I am a huge advocate of Wide Screen, and have been for many years.  And there are movies I have not bought, simply because they are not Wide Screen releases. 

Written By: Davester on 09/02/09 at 2:31 pm

^ Me too, not to put too fine a point on it.  Widescreen is the only way to go...

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/09 at 6:34 pm

Once you go Widescreen, there's no going back.

ive had lots of trouble with brand new dvds skipping and just freezing up! i bought a toshiba brand for over 200 dollars, they were supposed to be the best!  then a friend burnt me some dvds, and they wouldnt play at all in my 200 dollar dvd player!!  also do not like the fact, most dvds are letterbox and i hate the black bars!  i still have 30 year old vhs that work fine!  no skipping or freezing!  call me old fashioned if you will, i still think vinal records sound better than cd's too! :)

Thing is that VHS movies are no longer produced, so if you ever want to buy a new movie, you're SOL.  A few bad experiences with DVDs shouldn't turn you off completely from them.  And if you paid $200 for a DVD player, you got ripped off ;D

Written By: johnny5alive on 09/03/09 at 11:02 am

yeah but im not the only one! but that was back when they first came out.the one i bought was on sale, it was normally over 300 dollars,  i hate it when the new thenology people replace something that works just fine!

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/09 at 6:23 pm

yeah but im not the only one! but that was back when they first came out.the one i bought was on sale, it was normally over 300 dollars,  i hate it when the new thenology people replace something that works just fine!

VHS works fine .. until the tape snaps ;D

Written By: johnny5alive on 09/04/09 at 12:44 am

VHS works fine .. until the tape snaps ;D
  i

i have hundreds of tapes!!  no snapping yet!

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/09 at 1:07 am

i

i have hundreds of tapes!!  no snapping yet!

I understand a love for the 80s, but you need to upgrade from VHS to DVD or at best Blu-Ray.  It's time to head for the future Gramps ;D

Pretty soon VCRs will be obsolote and may not even be compatible with new TVs that will come in the future

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/05/09 at 9:20 am

I understand a love for the 80s, but you need to upgrade from VHS to DVD or at best Blu-Ray.  It's time to head for the future Gramps ;D

Pretty soon VCRs will be obsolote and may not even be compatible with new TVs that will come in the future

Actually, they are already.

Written By: Midas on 09/08/09 at 9:15 am

I should get the DVD.  I saw The Last Starfighter in the theatre and watched it 13 times in July 1985 on cable. :D

Written By: johnny5alive on 09/08/09 at 11:48 am

as long as its in my house , its not obsolete!  lol!  in fact just watched ground hog day last night!

Check for new replies or respond here...