inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: were boys this dumb in the 80s?

Written By: BeckyJBC on 09/03/09 at 10:00 am

kay so I was at a party Saturday and I met this reallyyyy cute guy. Gave him my number and we texted back and forth and when I was leaving I told him to send me a pic for my contacts and he sends me a pic of him shirtless, and i didnt think anything of it. Just today he sends me a pic of his naked body, not as cute as he was. GROSSSED OUT! im thinking about sending him http://www.thatsnotcool.com/img/calloutc..._Hero.jpg,

what do you guys think?

Subject: Re: were boys this dumb in the 80s?

Written By: Red Ant on 09/03/09 at 10:52 am

Welcome to the forum.

The picture link you have is borken. Do you have another by chance?

Boys have always been dumb - technology just allows it to manifest itself in different ways now.

Ant

Written By: Becky on 09/03/09 at 12:30 pm

Yeah sorry http://www.thatsnotcool.com/img/calloutcards/UnwantedNaughtyPhoto_Web_Hero.jpg. Im not like one of those girls who are always downing guys but I just thought I would share because I was just kind of surprised.

Welcome to the forum.

The picture link you have is borken. Do you have another by chance?

Boys have always been dumb - technology just allows it to manifest itself in different ways now.

Ant

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/03/09 at 6:43 pm

In the 80's we didn't have cell phones, we didn't text, we didn't share digital photos, and we didn't upload nude pictures to web pages.  ::)

But boys were still pretty dumb sometimes!  ;D

(Girls were, too  ;) )

Written By: gibbo on 09/03/09 at 8:08 pm

Any girl who would be 'impressed' by a stunt like this would be dumb! You should run from him ....fast and far!  Or alternatively, smack him in the head for showing such disrespect!  If this is what he thinks is acceptable behaviour before he really knows you ....God forbid what he may do further down the track!  :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/03/09 at 9:14 pm

Trust me, guys can be abit idiotic, unforuntaly, and this is coming from a guy.

We didn't have digital photos, or posting pictures, or the internet, or uploading pictures, but guys were indeed pretty dumb, back then.

Written By: snozberries on 09/04/09 at 9:11 pm

In the 80's we didn't have cell phones, we didn't text, we didn't share digital photos, and we didn't upload nude pictures to web pages.   ::)

But boys were still pretty dumb sometimes!   ;D

(Girls were, too   ;) )

you get Karma for taking the words right out of my mouth!  8)

Written By: Stinkyy on 09/05/09 at 12:08 am

In the 80s, I think boys would ask for your address and then snail mail you a Kodak Polaroid of his thingee.

This sexting crap today is stupid!!

Written By: 90steen on 09/07/09 at 8:25 pm

This sexting crap today is stupid!!

Can one actually get off on that?

And does this mean cybering, is like, out?

Written By: Chasey on 10/13/09 at 5:05 pm

No, they were not.  I wouldn't dared have done such a disrespectful thing.

But then, what does one expect when the most popular genre of music currently - Hip-Hop and Rap -  teaches boys that girls are ho's put upon this planet as mere sex objects to enjoy at their leisure.

It is no co-incidence that the rise of this genre has helped to fuel a general lack of values, manners and morality amongst the young these days.....

Written By: BrandyBlue on 10/25/09 at 7:42 pm

EXACTLY.  And what's really scary about this is that once you put ANYTHING in cyberspace, it's there FOREVER.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/09 at 12:54 pm

But then, what does one expect when the most popular genre of music currently - Hip-Hop and Rap -  teaches boys that girls are ho's put upon this planet as mere sex objects to enjoy at their leisure.

It is no co-incidence that the rise of this genre has helped to fuel a general lack of values, manners and morality amongst the young these days.....

Oh please... ::)  In the sixties they blamed it on the Stones, before that Jazz, Bebop, and way before that a Strauss waltz and before that Mozart.  Lack of values, manners, and morality doesn't come from the music, it is a home grown disease.

Written By: Chasey on 10/26/09 at 1:08 pm

Oh please... ::)  In the sixties they blamed it on the Stones, before that Jazz, Bebop, and way before that a Strauss waltz and before that Mozart.  Lack of values, manners, and morality doesn't come from the music, it is a home grown disease.

But the crucial difference is that neither the Stones, Jazz, Bebop or the Strauss waltz verbally encouraged disrespect, sexism, racism, promotion of a new shorthand gangsta language or encouraged youngsters to go around popping caps in peoples asses....

Sorry, but this genre of music is responsible at least in part for the some of the social issues we are faced with today.  What it needs is more key members of the black community to have the balls to stand up and speak out against it. Obama aside, thus far the silence has been deafening.

Written By: gibbo on 10/26/09 at 3:52 pm

But the crucial difference is that neither the Stones, Jazz, Bebop or the Strauss waltz verbally encouraged disrespect, sexism, racism, promotion of a new shorthand gangsta language or encouraged youngsters to go around popping caps in peoples asses....

Sorry, but this genre of music is responsible at least in part for the some of the social issues we are faced with today.  What it needs is more key members of the black community to have the balls to stand up and speak out against it. Obama aside, thus far the silence has been deafening.

Not certain if I'd say it was responsible for the lack of general respect etc today. It is a product of the decline in values ....a symptom.  :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/09 at 4:32 pm

Sorry, but this genre of music is responsible at least in part for the some of the social issues we are faced with today.  What it needs is more key members of the black community to have the balls to stand up and speak out against it. Obama aside, thus far the silence has been deafening.

I will preface this by saying I am not a big fan of rap.

Maybe you should pay more attention to the Stones.  There treatment of women in there lives has been less than exemplary, and many of their songs push the envelope as far as being degrading. It should not, but perhaps it will, come as a shock to here that black rappers do not have a lock on misogyny and violence, but for some reason you would prefer to single then out for special consideration.
I hope it will not surprise you, though I think it will, that most members of the black community do not have anything to do with gangsta rap, and many do speak out against it, If you believe the silence to be deafening then you obviously haven't been listening. It would not be as mainstream as it is if it were only the black community patronizing the genre, for it to be as popular, and lucrative, as it is it must needs include black, white, asian, and everyone in between. Maybe if parents of every stripe had the balls to tell their kids that they do not want that kind of crap in their homes, then went on to explain why, then the more rancid elements would fade away.

HE HIT ME (AND IT FELT LIKE A KISS) ---1962
Gerry Goffin and Carole King

He hit me and it felt like a kiss
He hit me but it didn't hurt me
He couldn't stand to hear me say
That I had been with someone new
And when I told him I had been untrue
He hit me and I knew he loved me
'Cause if he didn't care for me
I could have never made him mad
And he hit me and I was glad

Baby, won't you stay
He hit me and I knew I loved him
'Cause when he took me in his arms
With all the tenderness there is
He hit me and he made me feel
Baby, won't you stay

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/09 at 8:25 am

Blame It on the Stones  - Kris Kristofferson, Bucky Wilkin

Mister marvin middle class is really in a stew
Wondrin what the younger generations coming to
And the taste of his martini doesnt please his bitter tongue
Blame it on the Rolling Stones.

Blame it on the Stones; blame it on the Stones
Youll feel so much better, knowing you dont stand alone
Join the accusation; save the bleeding nation
Get it off your shoulders; blame it on the Stones

Mother tells the ladies at the bridge club every day
Of the rising price of tranquilizers she must pay
And she wonders why the children never seem to stay at home
Blame it on the Rolling Stones.

Youll feel so much better, knowing you dont stand alone
Join the accusation; save the bleeding nation

Fathers at the office, nightly working all the time
Trying to make the secretary change her little mind
And it bothers him to read about so many broken homes
Blame it on those Rolling Stones.

Youll feel so much better knowing you dont stand alone
Join the accusation; same the bleeding nation

Blame it on the Stones, blame it on the Stones.

Written By: Chasey on 10/28/09 at 8:13 am

Maybe you should pay more attention to the Stones.  There treatment of women in there lives has been less than exemplary, and many of their songs push the envelope as far as being degrading. It should not, but perhaps it will, come as a shock to here that black rappers do not have a lock on misogyny and violence, but for some reason you would prefer to single then out for special consideration.

I am a big fan of the Stones, and I take your point.

I hope it will not surprise you, though I think it will, that most members of the black community do not have anything to do with gangsta rap, and many do speak out against it, If you believe the silence to be deafening then you obviously haven't been listening.

Well, you mention that members of the black community speak out against it, but then decline to follow up that statement with any evidence.  Who exactly are you referring to?

It would not be as mainstream as it is if it were only the black community patronizing the genre, for it to be as popular, and lucrative, as it is it must needs include black, white, asian, and everyone in between. Maybe if parents of every stripe had the balls to tell their kids that they do not want that kind of crap in their homes, then went on to explain why, then the more rancid elements would fade away.

Not going to disagree with you on that point.  Well said.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/29/09 at 8:58 am

Well, you mention that members of the black community speak out against it, but then decline to follow up that statement with any evidence.  Who exactly are you referring to?

Oprah Winfrey, Spike Lee, Bill Cosby, Chris Rock, Steve Harvey to name a few

Written By: ninny on 10/29/09 at 9:20 am

kay so I was at a party Saturday and I met this reallyyyy cute guy. Gave him my number and we texted back and forth and when I was leaving I told him to send me a pic for my contacts and he sends me a pic of him shirtless, and i didnt think anything of it. Just today he sends me a pic of his naked body, not as cute as he was. GROSSSED OUT! im thinking about sending him http://www.thatsnotcool.com/img/calloutc..._Hero.jpg,

what do you guys think?

I don't think it would matter if this were the 80's or the 2000's, we are more technically evolved now, but you could always find a guy that would take a picture of his privates or flash someone.

Written By: Chasey on 10/30/09 at 3:57 am

Oprah Winfrey, Spike Lee, Bill Cosby, Chris Rock, Steve Harvey to name a few

Well black they may be, but one has to ask exactly how much influence those people carry on young black teenagers today?  I suspect that half of them have never even heard of Bill Cosby....

The sorts of people I'm looking towards to step forwards and make some sort of a statement are the likes of Will Smith, LL Cool J, Laurence Fishburn, J-Lo and Densil Washington. 

Written By: snozberries on 10/30/09 at 12:29 pm

Well black they may be, but one has to ask exactly how much influence those people carry on young black teenagers today?  I suspect that half of them have never even heard of Bill Cosby....

The sorts of people I'm looking towards to step forwards and make some sort of a statement are the likes of Will Smith, LL Cool J, Laurence Fishburn, J-Lo and Densil Washington. 

um J-Lo isn't black...

Denzel may or may not have addressed this issue when you think about the caliber of films he's done the topic was bound to come up but he's done sooooo many interviews I dont have the time to pour thru them all.

I think you're underestimating the value of Nick at nite and TV land... many young people are fully aware of Bill Cosby because this show is still shown today. 

I'm not sure that Laurence Fishburne is more visible to youth than Bill Cosby. unless you think a lot of young people are watching CSI.

Here's part of an interview done a few years ago with Will Smith about rap:

Smith, who won the first rap Grammy in 1988 for his squeaky-clean "Parents Just Don't Understand," said he wants hip-hop artists to recognize their importance and shift away from thuggish themes.

"It's real important to have balance of the imagery. Yes, there are people who fire guns in the street, but there's also doctors who go to work in those areas to feed their children."

The gangster lifestyle is celebrated in black communities for its strength, Smith said. "That's the image of survivors. The dude that sells the drugs or has the guns or is most willing to kill somebody is the dude that has the greatest potential for survival, or at least that's the perception. So that's what people strive for.

"What I'm trying to present and what a lot of other artists are presenting is a different approach to survival and a more sound approach to survival. It's a more long-term approach based on intellect and skills that can't be taken away from you: The smartest dude survives the best."

Written By: Chasey on 10/30/09 at 2:14 pm

I accept that situation may be a little better than I had first insinuated, but by the same stretch there is still a long way to go IMHO, and no doubt there is a lot more certain figureheads could do.  

Whether or not you agree with my choices, you understand my point.

Good point ref J-Lo...I meant Rihanna.  A senior moment, that...  ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 10/30/09 at 6:00 pm

I hope it will not surprise you, though I think it will, that most members of the black community do not have anything to do with gangsta rap, and many do speak out against it, If you believe the silence to be deafening then you obviously haven't been listening. It would not be as mainstream as it is if it were only the black community patronizing the genre, for it to be as popular, and lucrative, as it is it must needs include black, white, asian, and everyone in between. Maybe if parents of every stripe had the balls to tell their kids that they do not want that kind of crap in their homes, then went on to explain why, then the more rancid elements would fade away.

HE HIT ME (AND IT FELT LIKE A KISS) ---1962
Gerry Goffin and Carole King

He hit me but it didn't hurt me
He couldn't stand to hear me say
That I had been with someone new
And when I told him I had been untrue
He hit me and I knew he loved me
'Cause if he didn't care for me
I could have never made him mad
And he hit me and I was glad

Baby, won't you stay
He hit me and I knew I loved him
'Cause when he took me in his arms
With all the tenderness there is
He hit me and he made me feel
Baby, won't you stay

This song was in Dave Barry's book of bad songs, under the chapter songs Women really hate.(Understandibly so)

Written By: snozberries on 10/30/09 at 6:40 pm

This song was in Dave Barry's book of bad songs, under the chapter songs Women really hate.(Understandibly so)

good choice....

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 10/30/09 at 11:30 pm

People in general are pretty stupid.  Both men and women are pretty equally ignorant. 

Why would you go looking for guys at one of today's "parties" anyway?  Sounds to me like you were asking for it. 

Im sorry, but you sound like such a tool.  Im sure you did stupid things in your time to try and impress women, we all have.  Women are just as equally guilty of this.  You want to get in some womans pants just as bad as someone else.  Trust me, sucking up to them doesn't work.  I do agree with you on the music issue though.  Yesterdays music was a lot better than the BS thats going around today.  Society is to over-saturated with sex.  Sex isnt even that great.  Todays hip-hop isn't the only problem, but its not helping any. 

Had to vent some anger, lol.

Written By: Chasey on 11/01/09 at 9:35 am

People in general are pretty stupid.  Both men and women are pretty equally ignorant.  

Why would you go looking for guys at one of today's "parties" anyway?  Sounds to me like you were asking for it.

With that comment I think you've just proved that men are head and shoulders above women in the ignorance stakes.  What do you mean by 'asking for it'?  

The only thing she did was attend a party, then suffer a whole bunch of rudeness afterwards by a complete tit.

Im sorry, but you sound like such a tool.  Im sure you did stupid things in your time to try and impress women, we all have.  Women are just as equally guilty of this.  You want to get in some womans pants just as bad as someone else.  Trust me, sucking up to them doesn't work.  I do agree with you on the music issue though.  Yesterdays music was a lot better than the BS thats going around today.  Society is to over-saturated with sex.  Sex isnt even that great.  Todays hip-hop isn't the only problem, but its not helping any.

I sound like such a tool?   ;D

The only tool around here is you Lee - posting a reply that was not only sexist, but one that waffled on without ever really making a point.

Check for new replies or respond here...