inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How To Do 80s Mall Bangs

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/14/09 at 1:37 pm

Call me tacky, but I really do like the look of 1980s "mall bangs".

I just recently got bangs cut into my hair, but at the moment, they're lying flat, the way my stylist left them. I'm trying change my look and I was wondering if there was a modern way to pull this off.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1413/1434638937_816b3a3701.jpg

I don't want to look tacky and I don't want people to laugh at me, but I do want to kind of get into this whole 80s revival thing and do it right and be able to keep up with my friends.

Please help.

Thank you.

PS--That's not me in the pic, that's just a reference point. LOL.

Subject: Re: How To Do 80s Mall Bangs

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/15/09 at 5:35 pm

Aw come on  y'all! I know some one knows how to do mall bangs! Someone please tell me!

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/15/09 at 6:57 pm

:) I almost don't want to encourge this, but here goes:

Lift your bangs up with your brush and blowdry them lifted and spray the crap out of them as they dry. For extra crunch you can even blowdry over the spray heating it up a bit so it forms a shellac!  Then, bring the bangs over to the side and then down as you release the brush.  Repeat spraying technique and good luck! 

Please post photos so I may see how this turns out.  ;)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/15/09 at 8:33 pm

Gosh, Ladybug, when you got into the hairspray and shellacing stuff, won't that damage my hair?

Is there a way I can roll it with foam or velcro rollers that will be less damaging? LOL.  :)

And I'll post pics if I can get my hands on a camera. (I'm a camera hog lol)

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/16/09 at 7:10 pm

Of course it will damage your hair!  That's why people stopped doing it  ;)  Hey, it was the 80's.  Our theory on hair was "if it moves, spray it"!

You really don't have to use the shellac method if you tease the roots and give them a decent shot of gunk

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/16/09 at 7:54 pm

"If it moves, srpay it" I thought that theory only applied to kiing insects!  ;D

I'll tr yoy see what I can do. I have a big bottle of Samy, Big Fat Hair on my dresser. LOL.

Thanks again!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/16/09 at 8:29 pm

:) I almost don't want to encourge this, but here goes:

Lift your bangs up with your brush and blowdry them lifted and spray the crap out of them as they dry. For extra crunch you can even blowdry over the spray heating it up a bit so it forms a shellac!  Then, bring the bangs over to the side and then down as you release the brush.  Repeat spraying technique and good luck! 

Please post photos so I may see how this turns out.  ;)

Some us us teased the crap out of our bangs.  Nothing like inducing split ends. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/16/09 at 9:22 pm

Curl Bangs with Curling Iron - or round brush and blowdrier.  Then tease them up fluffing them out and spraying.

I had the curly hair - so I never had "Mall Bangs" per say - I left them longer and side parted my hair was more "versatile"

somewhat of
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-ikT-8NpHQA/RwMlIY8H7WI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/EQ63bhhrlIA/s400/heather_hair.jpg

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/17/09 at 7:17 pm

Back in those days I used to lock myself in the bathroom every morning just to tease up my bangs.  I used a curling iron and Aqua Net hairspray.  That Aqua Net alone fried and dried the hell out of my bangs, but it did a great job of holding up my bangs all day!  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/17/09 at 8:27 pm

Hey Y'all!

@Reynolds: I have a fringe bang, so I don't think I can really tease it LOL.

@ Sami: I like the little rows of pics you provided. If I could, I'd want my hair to look like week 4 or week 7. In black of course. I don't wanna look like Lil' Kim.  ;D

@Coquta: I've always been afraid of Aqua net...lol. Will it work on Black hair?

Thanks guys!

Written By: Tam on 09/17/09 at 8:36 pm

Girl!!! I was the queen of mall bangs!!!

I should do the and take pics as I go... then post them here for you to see! ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/17/09 at 8:39 pm

Girl!!! I was the queen of mall bangs!!!

I should do the and take pics as I go... then post them here for you to see! ;D

Remember that hairspray that smelled like apple.  It was weirdly addictive.

Written By: 90steen on 09/17/09 at 8:46 pm

I always thought aquanet would be the original hairspray for mall bangs.

Written By: mooster on 09/18/09 at 5:29 am

I had no idea what I was about to see/read when I ventured into this thread - going by the title ! :o  ;D

IMHO - Week 3 ^ would be the equivalent of a modern version :)

Check for new replies or respond here...