inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The popularity of the Medley

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/02/09 at 12:16 pm

The Stars on 45 medley in 1981 not only became a #1 hit featuring a medley of some of the Beatles' greatest songs, but for the next couple years other medleys (such as Stevie Wonder, Elvis Presley, and The Beach Boys) also had medley hits at the time. Outside of the charts, live concerts from big name performers to school shows would often have medley incorporated into their programs.

Subject: Re: The popularity of the Medley

Written By: Midas on 10/02/09 at 12:50 pm

Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers had their medley hit "Swing The Mood" hit #11 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and #1 in the UK Singles Chart in 1989. :)

Written By: karen on 10/02/09 at 12:53 pm

Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers had their medley hit "Swing The Mood" hit #11 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and #1 in the UK Singles Chart in 1989. :)

thanks for reminding us.

What about Hooked On Classics, or was that just a British thing?

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/09 at 1:11 pm

I did a topic on this long ago and had a whole list of medleys, but I'll be danged if I cannot find it :(

There were alot of great ones that were not in the US Top 40, but still in the US chart.  One from 1981 called 'Memories of Days Gone By' by Fred Parris and the Five Satins.

The BIG one for the UK was 'Back to the Sixties' by Tight Fit.  In Canada, we had a 'Back to the 60s' that scraped the Top 50 and was credited as Various Artists, which I always assume to be an error as it charted around the same time as Tight Fit did in the UK

Written By: pucca on 10/02/09 at 1:22 pm

Weird Al's polka medlies come to mind  :D

Written By: Paul on 10/08/09 at 6:52 am

What about Hooked On Classics, or was that just a British thing?

'Hooked On Classics' was pretty much a worldwide hit, but if we're talking medleys, then they were very popular in Britain back in the 1950s...specifically piano medleys of songs from a bygone age as performed by Mrs. Mills, Russ Conway and Winnie Atwell (who managed to make a chart topper out of one!)

The Black & White minstrels had a #1 LP consisting of medleys back in 1961...

And don't forget Mr. Bygraves with his countless albums of 'SingalongaMax'... :P

Written By: karen on 10/08/09 at 1:51 pm

Mrs Mills I only know the name from a drinking game we used to play!

And don't forget Mr. Bygraves with his countless albums of 'SingalongaMax'... :P

I'd rather forget him thanks

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/09 at 7:01 pm

Max Bygraves, once host of 'Family Fortunes'? :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/08/09 at 9:16 pm

Oh, it's on now, dude.

James Last, Non-Stop Dancing 1973.  All the hits of the 70s.  Everything from Hawkwind's Silver Machine to Hot Butter's Popcorn... done to something that sounded like a cross between a brass orchestra and a polka party at a Bavarian bierhaus. 

It's not so wrong that it's right... It's so wrong it's almost right.  As in, it's not half bad, but it's one of those things you sort of have to hear to quite believe.  (Wait!  Where you goin?  Don't run away, he only had 190 albums!)

Written By: Paul on 10/11/09 at 9:27 am

Max Bygraves, once host of 'Family Fortunes'? :D

The very same! He'd try his hand at anything, with varying degrees of success...

Oh, it's on now, dude.

James Last, Non-Stop Dancing 1973.  All the hits of the 70s.  Everything from Hawkwind's Silver Machine to Hot Butter's Popcorn... done to something that sounded like a cross between a brass orchestra and a polka party at a Bavarian bierhaus. 

It's not so wrong that it's right... It's so wrong it's almost right.  As in, it's not half bad, but it's one of those things you sort of have to hear to quite believe.  (Wait!  Where you goin?  Don't run away, he only had 190 albums!)

I'm going nowhere...I plead guilty to having at least two pieces of incriminating evidence in my collection!

You want something that's so wrong that it remains wrong? Try Klaus Wunderlich... :P

(And they say the Germans have no sense of humour?  ::))

Check for new replies or respond here...