inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Duran Duran - Rio [2 Disc Limited Edition]

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/09 at 4:16 pm

http://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/frenzu28/IMG_0015_027.jpg=300 http://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/frenzu28/IMG_0016_024.jpg=300

EMI Records has re-released the classic Duran Duran album RIO in a new 2 disc Limited Edition Book Format.  Included is the original UK album, with bonus US Album mixes, so you can opt to listen to the album in it's original UK or it's American version.  Also included on the 2nd disc are Demos, Non album singles (including the original 1981 7" version of 'My Own Way'), B-Sides, plus Night versions and Carnival mixes as remembered from the now deleted 'Carnival EP'

It also includes a 60 page book with photos, stories, and lyrics.  I bought my copy.  Have you got yours?

CD ONE:
ORIGINAL UK ALBUM
♦ Rio
♦ My Own Way
♦ Lonely in your Nightmare
♦ Hungry Like the Wolf
♦ Hold Back the Rain
♦ New Religion
♦ Last Chance on the Stairway
♦ Save a Prayer
♦ The Chauffer

ORIGINAL US ALBUM MIXES
♦ Rio
♦ My Own Way
♦ Lonely in Your Nightmare
♦ Hungry Like the Wolf
♦ Hold Back the Rain

CD TWO:
THE MANCHESTER SQUARE DEMOS
♦ Last Chance on the Stairway
♦ My Own Way
♦ New Religion
♦ Like an Angel

NON ALBUM SINGLES AND B-SIDES
♦ My Own Way
♦ Like an Angel
♦ Careless Memories
♦ The Chauffer (Blue Silver)

VERSIONS AND MIXES
♦ My Own Way
♦ Hungry Like the Wolf
♦ Rio
♦ New Religion
♦ Hold Back the Rain

Subject: Re: Duran Duran - Rio [2 Disc Limited Edition]

Written By: Midas on 10/09/09 at 4:28 pm

Even though I have most of these mixes either on vinyl or CD (Singles Box set 81-85), I'll probably still get this at some point.  Probably after I buy the 2nd Singles Box set. :)

Written By: Davester on 10/10/09 at 12:30 am

Mine's been on pre-order for a month...

Concert DVD "Live at Hammersmith 82" to coincide with the CD release...

http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-Hammersmith-82-Duran/dp/B0027REDKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255152761&sr=8-1

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/09 at 8:55 am

^ The Live DVD.  I gotta get me a copy of that 8)

The CD set is great. I wonder if they will also do one for 'Ragged Tiger' or their self-titled debut (and 1983 re-release of it)

Written By: Paul on 10/10/09 at 11:11 am

According to wiki (so it must be true!) there's enough mixes and remixes of one song ('Rio') to fill a 2CD set!  :D

And according to this webpage, there's 14!  :P

Written By: Davester on 10/10/09 at 3:58 pm

According to wiki (so it must be true!) there's enough mixes and remixes of one song ('Rio') to fill a 2CD set!  :D

And according to this webpage, there's 14!  :P

Rio is the worst song on the whole album, if not their entire catalog...

IMO, of course...

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/11 at 12:31 am

I still enjoy listeining to this 2 disc version.  The original 1982 US Harvest version with the David Kershenbaum mixes is the one that I have on vinyl and cassette, and is the only version of the Rio album that I will accept, and with this 2 Disc set, I can get that and more. 

I have two versions of the album on cassette, the alternate one has 'Last Chance on the Starway' in place of 'Hold Back the Rain' as the track to follow 'Hungry Like the Wolf'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/11 at 8:28 pm

RIP producer Colin Thurston (1947--2007).  "Rio" was the crowning achievement of his career. 

Check for new replies or respond here...