inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1989

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/12/09 at 8:07 pm

I figured like we have in the ''90s'' section, we could have summaries of the 80s years, as far as music, movies, tv, news, and your own life.

As of January 1989, I wouldn't be born for another year and 10 months. But it was a big year for my family. In November 1988, my dad began working as a Nurse at the same Hospital my mother happened to be; They met during an orientation day that November and spoke for a little bit that afternoon; After that, they didn't see each other, talk or even run into each other again; My mom worked in a completely different wing of the hospital.

My mother had been having trouble with my middle sister; she was being very rebellious, dating a thug boyfriend and totally disrespecting my mom and lying and causing trouble in the family; My dad was dealing with issues from his ex-girlfriend and their daughter; family court issues. My other sister (who was 8 in '88) had become angry at my dad, and in June of '88 intentionally neglected to contact him for his 34 birthday, Father's Day, and his graduation from college; So 1988 was a stressful and turbulent year for both, but they didn't know each other yet.

My dad was dating various women throughout 1988 and 1989, and nearly married one--They were going to go to England together in the Summer of '89; they broke up that Summer he ended up going to California for a few months that Summer. However, they broke up and in order to get away from her moved to a different neighborhood--He happened to move right across the street from where my mom and her daughters lived, without even knowing it.

So, in November 1989, nearly a year to the day after they first casually talked, my dad (breaking up with his latest girlfriend) happened to move right across the street from where my mom was living. My mom saw him walking his dog, and recognized him; However it was he that made the first move--Coming across the street to borrow something. By Christmas 1989 they were dating; married by June 1990 and I was born by November--But 1989 was the beginning of the union of my parents and their two families; and thus in my family a major year. And, in a major aside, because my mom didn't like it, my dad shaved his mustache--Which he had had since 1971. So even in that way it was the beginning of a new era, and with the dawn of the '90s my parents knew a greater stability than they had ever known--The 70s having been a dark time for both of them, and the 80s being a decade of hard work and trials.

Subject: Re: 1989

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/09 at 8:50 pm

An important year for my family. The paper work for us to move to America FINALLY is getting approved by the US delegates. But even then, we would have to have 2 or 3 more interviews. This year was a year of hope because we never thought we would ever have a chance to go to America.

Written By: woops on 10/12/09 at 9:34 pm

Was a five year old having reconstruction surgeries (lasted 'til I was a teenager...still semi-deformed to this day) and watching cartoons...some classics and many junk

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/12/09 at 9:44 pm

That year, I turned 13, was still in grade school, and only a few short years, from graduating from grade school.

My brother was still in the admist playing Hockey, for a local Hockey team, and our family went on a vacation, to Florida that was almost Griswoldish.

The hotel way stayed at had cockroaches, we spent hours looking for a hotel, my brother was obessed with finding a go kart track, that he could on, and we had to convince Dad, to wear shorts, so he wouldn't over heat while we were in Sea World.

Needless to say, some men should never wear shorts or short pants.

;D

Written By: Chasey on 10/13/09 at 4:07 pm

1989 was one of the best years ever for me, if not the best.

Having not achieved very much at school, lacking confidence with girls and being a bit of an under-achiever I got a real break when I passed my driving test first time.

I then enjoyed 2 fantastic holidays abroad, a skiiing trip to Austria and latterly a trip to Tunisia where I made many friends and for the first time found myself the subject of female interest.  The confidence boost I got at 16 years of age was just priceless at that age.

I held down my first job, and although I hated it I stuck it out until I became a Sales Assistant which I loved.  It was a start...but I was happy.

And the music returned to form.  Having stopped buying modern records during 1988 due to Stock, Aiken and Waterman, I started buying singles again.  There was some real good stuff in 1989.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/13/09 at 7:28 pm

The first half of 1989 was great for me...the other half was hell.  In the Fall of 1989 I started one of the worst years of school...6th grade.  If I could go back in time I would've requested a change in teachers.  >:(

The radio was practically my best friend at that time, too...listened to a lot of great music that year.  Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Skid Row, Cinderella, Poison, Warrant (I went through a heavy metal phase, can't you tell?  ;D), plus Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, Bobby Brown, George Michael, Madonna, The Bangles, Roxette, Boy Meets Girl, Timbiriche, Daniela Romo, and Yuri.  Gosh, this list could go on and on!  ;D

My favorite movies that year was "Say Anything", "Heathers", and "Dead Poets Society".

Written By: nally on 10/13/09 at 7:36 pm

The first half of 1989 was great for me...the other half was hell.  In the Fall of 1989 I started one of the worst years of school...6th grade.  If I could go back in time I would've requested a change in teachers.   >:(

I can relate. I, too, had a great first half of 1989 school-wise but a not-so-good second half. I wish I could've requested a change of teachers, too, since the one I had for 4th grade was a pain in the donkey. But there were some good things about being in that class. For one thing, in December I learned how to make wreaths with Baggies. We also learned a great deal about the California Missions (and even visited the San Fernando Mission on a field trip in February of '90). But the teacher often seemed to discredit me for some unknown reason.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/13/09 at 8:05 pm

I can relate. I, too, had a great first half of 1989 school-wise but a not-so-good second half. I wish I could've requested a change of teachers, too, since the one I had for 4th grade was a pain in the donkey. But there were some good things about being in that class. For one thing, in December I learned how to make wreaths with Baggies. We also learned a great deal about the California Missions (and even visited the San Fernando Mission on a field trip in February of '90). But the teacher often seemed to discredit me for some unknown reason.

Ugh...my teacher liked to discredit me, too.  I'm sorry you had to go through the same thing.  :(

A field trip to the San Fernando Mission sounds really neat!  The entire sixth grade went to a water park on the very last day of school.  I mostly hung out by the wave pool and the arcade.  ;D

Written By: nally on 10/14/09 at 4:02 pm

Ugh...my teacher liked to discredit me, too.  I'm sorry you had to go through the same thing.  :(

A field trip to the San Fernando Mission sounds really neat!  The entire sixth grade went to a water park on the very last day of school.  I mostly hung out by the wave pool and the arcade.  ;D

Guess we had something in common: our respective teachers during the 1989-90 school year were awful.

During the first half of '89 I was in the 3rd grade at a privately-owned school. I have lots of fond memories of that time period. However, I couldn't continue going to school there for the 4th grade because the tuition was just too expensive, so I ended up going to public school for the first time. Anyhoo, during the second half of my 3rd grade year I learned how to rollerskate at a friend's birthday party, and I enjoyed the experience...so for my birthday (in July) I decided to have my party at the roller rink and invite various friends. It was nice.

In the summer of that year I went to day camp for the second straight year; there were various activities such as arts & crafts, nature walks, indoor exercising, puppetry, and a gameroom, to name a few. That particular year, there was a video game in the gameroom which I enjoyed playing just about every day (and became pretty good at it)...Sonson. (According to what I recently found on the internet, that game had been created in '84.)

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/09 at 6:32 pm

One of my all-time favourite songs ever came from 1989 ...

Coleman Wilde - It Doesn't Matter

A few select other from 1989 that I remember and still enjoy (all were popular hits on Canadian radio) ...

Gerard Joling - No More Boleros
Sass Jordan - Stranger Than Paradise
Cutting Crew - Everything But My Pride
The Pursuit of Happiness - She's So Young
Alannah Myles - Love Is
The Doobie Brothers - The Doctor
Waterfront - Cry
One 2 Many - Downtown
Kon Kan - Harry Houdini
Candi - Missing You
Fine Young Cannibals - Good Thing
Annette Ducharme - No Such Thing
Big Bam Boo - Shooting From My Heart
Love and Rockets - So Alive
Colin James - Five Long Years
Tanita Tikaram - Twist in My Sobriety
CSNY - American Dream
♦ One to One - Do You Believe (No video available)
The Rolling Stones - Mixed Emotions
Ray Lyell and the Storm - Another Man's Gun

Written By: 90steen on 10/14/09 at 7:24 pm

I was 9 years old. Had an obsession with the movie "Heathers", probably not appropriate for a 9 year old. It was also the first year i was exposed to rap music to the point of asking my mom to buy me an MC Lyte and Slick Rick vinyl.

Check for new replies or respond here...