inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: THE most pointless singer of 80s??

Written By: MVstr on 10/14/09 at 1:21 pm

Is it me or is there more Pointless singers in this decade than any other decade? ::) (not naming any names Mr K.West!!!  :-X)

so i was just wondering who the most pointless singer of the 80s is ( as i was born after 80s, i wouldnt know!  :() so i could just try to compare how crap singers nowerdays are getting!! :D!

Subject: Re: THE most pointless singer of 80s??

Written By: woops on 10/14/09 at 1:24 pm

Besides whoever sang for Milli Vanilli...

I'll really get hated (though already taken as a joke anyways), but I never thought Madonna was that great of an artist since I find her singing average and most of her ballads were mediocre...

Written By: Midas on 10/14/09 at 2:16 pm

Mr. T  :D

Written By: Silver Power on 10/14/09 at 2:20 pm

Is it me or is there more Pointless singers in this decade than any other decade? ::) (not naming any names Mr K.West!!!  :-X)

so i was just wondering who the most pointless singer of the 80s is ( as i was born after 80s, i wouldnt know!  :() so i could just try to compare how crap singers nowerdays are getting!! :D!

Listen, MVstr, I'm really happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Kanye West is the most genius lyrical moffhockin wordsmith moffhockin rapper of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Written By: Midas on 10/14/09 at 3:08 pm

Listen, MVstr, I'm really happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Kanye West is the most genius lyrical moffhockin wordsmith moffhockin rapper of all time. OF ALL TIME!

;D

Written By: johnny5alive on 10/14/09 at 3:26 pm

most pointless singers of the 80's?  i would say anyone who tries to sing rap!  it truely was the one thing i hate about the 80's!  it dont understand why its even still around? its only point, is to incite people to riot and rape and kill!  it should have been banned way back then, the world would be better for it!

Written By: Silver Power on 10/14/09 at 4:16 pm

most pointless singers of the 80's?  i would say anyone who tries to sing rap!  it truely was the one thing i hate about the 80's!  it dont understand why its even still around? its only point, is to incite people to riot and rape and kill!  it should have been banned way back then, the world would be better for it!

...Thats what most white folks would think, including my parents. It's a form of self expression, no worse than singing or poetry.

Written By: Midas on 10/14/09 at 4:40 pm

most pointless singers of the 80's?  i would say anyone who tries to sing rap!  it truely was the one thing i hate about the 80's!  it dont understand why its even still around? its only point, is to incite people to riot and rape and kill!  it should have been banned way back then, the world would be better for it!

I wouldn't even consider calling rap "singing".

ETA:  *I* listen to rap; I haven't rioted or hurt anybody yet.  :D

...Thats what most white folks would think, including my parents. It's a form of self expression, no worse than singing or poetry.

No.  That's not what most white folks would think.  ::)

Written By: Tam on 10/14/09 at 4:41 pm

Wow! ::)

Written By: Red Ant on 10/14/09 at 5:15 pm

Bruce Willis. Of all the people in the 80s who had absolutely nothing to prove and nothing to gain by singing, it had to be him.

Here he is with the Pointless Sisters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni90iL81wTQ

Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 10/14/09 at 5:17 pm

Mr. T  :D

Horrible, but the PSA angle gives it a point. A very misguided point, but one nonetheless.

Mr. T actually has a good flow on that song.  ;D

Ant

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/14/09 at 5:20 pm

The Chicago Bears

Written By: Silver Power on 10/14/09 at 5:23 pm

Wow! ::)

No racism intended. It was a joke, I myself being white. However, you have to agree that it WAS mostly caucasians who were 'offended' by the lyrics of some of the most influential rappers of all time, NWA, 2 Live Crew, Eminem.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/14/09 at 5:25 pm

That would make a great Jack Chick tract.  

Ant

Written By: Silver Power on 10/14/09 at 5:27 pm

That would make a great Jack Chick tract.  

Ant

Karamel for your signature.  ;D

Written By: Midas on 10/14/09 at 5:29 pm

The Chicago Bears

They weren't here to start no trouble,  they just came to do the Super Bowl Shuffle!  :D

Written By: Silver Power on 10/14/09 at 5:30 pm

They weren't here to start no trouble,  they just came to do the Super Bowl Shuffle!  :D

;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/14/09 at 5:33 pm

While proving that the Refrigerator couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. :)  We all appreciated the effort though.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/14/09 at 5:40 pm

das Hasselhoff  ???

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/14/09 at 5:53 pm

das Hasselhoff   ???

You have me beat. :o  The hoff was terrible!!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/14/09 at 7:49 pm

Paul Lekakis

Written By: Davester on 10/14/09 at 11:37 pm

Eddie Murphy and Don Johnson...

Well, Eddie Murphy was being ridiculous and Boogie In Your Butt WAS kinda funny, but Don Johnson's album (feat. Heartbeat) was clearly aimed directly at crazy chicks like my girlfriend who thought he could do no wrong and would've acted no different if he spent the entire album reading from the phone book...

No redeemable lyrical value, but I guess that wasn't the point...

Written By: johnny5alive on 10/15/09 at 3:51 am

listen to your parents!  they know what they are talking about!

Written By: johnny5alive on 10/15/09 at 3:55 am

some of the most influential rappers of all time, 

you mean the ones that got more people upset with their hate lyrics?  thats the only influence they had! ::)

Written By: Silver Power on 10/15/09 at 9:50 am

some of the most influential rappers of all time, 

you mean the ones that got more people upset with their hate lyrics?  thats the only influence they had! ::)

I'm going to have to smite you for that one. :-\

While there are some rappers that sought nothing more than to cause controversy, the influential rappers, like Public Enemy and NWA, were story tellers.

You can't blame them for what they said in there lyrics, because it was happening in a time that many thought America was near perfect , and they wanted to tell people about some of the things that were REALLY going on.

People didn't believe about the corruption of a lot of police officers, but once the Rodney King incident happened and was broadcast to all of America, people realized 'Wow, what these guys are saying isn't just garbage.. This stuff ACTUALLY happens'.

Written By: Chasey on 10/18/09 at 10:42 am

Bruce Willis. Of all the people in the 80s who had absolutely nothing to prove and nothing to gain by singing, it had to be him.

Ant

An excellent choice Jack, and one I agree with totally.  Have some kudos.  :)

Written By: Chasey on 10/18/09 at 10:56 am

Have to disagree.  Rap in the 80's actually had something to say....it had a point - a genuine message.

Rap has long since sold it's soul to the corporate devil.  Nowadays, it is just a cringeworthy show fronted by utterly talentless people who have enormous chips on their shoulders.

Seems to me that all it promotes these days is:

1) To treat all women (especially them white ho's) as objects of sexual desire.  They want it, baby....
2) No respect.  They blather on about respect all the time, but none of them seem to know what real respect is. 
3) To encourage everyone to walk around with one enormous chip on their shoulders.  Get rich baby....but do absolutely nothing to earn it.

It's no wonder that so many of the youth of today look so darned miserable..... 

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/09 at 6:24 pm

Rap in the 80s was awesome.  I still love 'Stutter Rap' by Morris Minor and the Majors

For me, the most pointless singer of the 80s was Laurie Anderson.  I have no idea how 'O Superman' ever managed to chart anywhere.  It is the weirdest song of the 80s and makes absolutely no sense

Written By: KKay on 10/18/09 at 6:45 pm

Baltimora
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4XESwopds

sometimes i watch this just to make me happier I'm me, and not this guy.

Written By: johnny5alive on 10/18/09 at 8:50 pm

Have to disagree.  Rap in the 80's actually had something to say....it had a point - a genuine message.

Rap has long since sold it's soul to the corporate devil.  Nowadays, it is just a cringeworthy show fronted by utterly talentless people who have enormous chips on their shoulders.

Seems to me that all it promotes these days is:

1) To treat all women (especially them white ho's) as objects of sexual desire.  They want it, baby....
2) No respect.  They blather on about respect all the time, but none of them seem to know what real respect is. 
3) To encourage everyone to walk around with one enormous chip on their shoulders.  Get rich baby....but do absolutely nothing to earn it.

It's no wonder that so many of the youth of today look so darned miserable..... 

sorry to dissapoint you, but thats always been the message!  there was never any singing talent! its all about gangs and killings and ho's!

Written By: johnny5alive on 10/18/09 at 8:58 pm

Ant

sorry, thats the POINTER sisters!  one of the best black groups of the 80's and even before the 80's!  and no rap either!  imagine that!

Written By: Silver Power on 10/18/09 at 9:11 pm

sorry, thats the POINTER sisters!  one of the best black groups of the 80's and even before the 80's!  and no rap either!  imagine that!

So basically you're associating black groups with rap, and if they don't do rap, it's AMAZING?  ???

Written By: johnny5alive on 10/18/09 at 9:17 pm

So basically you're associating black groups with rap, and if they don't do rap, it's AMAZING?  ???

please dont tell me you think it was white groups that invented it???? :D :D :D ::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/09 at 9:29 pm

sorry to dissapoint you, but thats always been the message!  there was never any singing talent! its all about gangs and killings and ho's!

That was never the original message of rap.  It went that way when the 90s dawned

Written By: Davester on 10/19/09 at 12:51 am

Why do people always ask questions like this?  "Is rap music."  "Are soap operas drama."  "Is reality tv entertainment."  "Is butoh dancing."  "Is post-modernism art."  "Are comic books literature."  "Is a bunch of rocks on a bed of sand a garden..."

Today's rap is entertainment that involves music. The rap that's played on the radio is a container for music, persona, and sex.  It's the same concept with any other "genre" that's played on the radio - it is all a container for things that sell.  Jamming with some buddies in a garage band is rock.  Playing arenas and screaming "you've been a great audience!" or "we love you, !!!" is marketing pitched as rock music.  Rapping about the racist cops in your city is rap.  Rapping about smackin' up hoez and your nine-milli is marketing...

Written By: Chasey on 10/19/09 at 6:25 am

That's simply not the case. 

The following well-known Rap songs had nothing to do with those topics:

White Lines
Rapper's Delight
The Message

To name but a few.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/19/09 at 10:29 am

Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas, both on Miami Vice, and both pointless singers!

;D

Written By: Chasey on 10/20/09 at 4:52 am

Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas, both on Miami Vice, and both pointless singers!

;D

Now you're treading a fine line there, Pal!  ;D

I thought that Phillip Michael Thomas single was better than Don's, IMHO....

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/09 at 8:53 am

Which Don Johnson single?  He had 3 hits (I actually have the 45s of all 3)

Written By: Chasey on 10/20/09 at 8:55 am

Which Don Johnson single?  He had 3 hits (I actually have the 45s of all 3)

Blimey!  I learn new things every day on here.... :D

'Heartbeat'.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/20/09 at 8:59 am

Now you're treading a fine line there, Pal!  ;D

I thought that Phillip Michael Thomas single was better than Don's, IMHO....

Sorry, but they are decent actors, but are also horrible singers.

;D

Written By: Lindee on 10/23/09 at 11:33 am

Any 80s TV star that tried to be a singer.

Written By: Chasey on 10/23/09 at 2:28 pm

But I liked 'Every Loser Wins'  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/23/09 at 2:45 pm

Even Bruce Willis?

;D

Written By: Chasey on 10/23/09 at 2:49 pm

'Under The Boardwalk' had it's place, yes....  8)

But the rest of the 'Return Of Bruno' ialbum is instantly forgettable.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/23/09 at 3:03 pm

For me, it was Grace Jones. Her music videos, scred the crap out of me.

;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/23/09 at 7:51 pm

The one 80s TV star who did it good was Billy Crystal.  His 1985 single 'You Look Marvelous' was a minor hit in the States and a Top 20 hit in Canada and 24 years later, it's still awesome!

Sting even makes a cameo in the video ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZl3gGV4H6c

http://www.vinyltap.co.uk/gallery/bi/billyylm6518959275280.jpg

Written By: Midas on 10/26/09 at 9:25 am

The one 80s TV star who did it good was Billy Crystal.  His 1985 single 'You Look Marvelous' was a minor hit in the States and a Top 20 hit in Canada and 24 years later, it's still awesome!

Sting even makes a cameo in the video ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZl3gGV4H6c

http://www.vinyltap.co.uk/gallery/bi/billyylm6518959275280.jpg

Billy/Fernando didn't really sing in that song :D

Written By: Dagwood on 11/03/09 at 2:38 pm

Even Bruce Willis?

;D

Especially Bruce Willis.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/03/09 at 5:06 pm

Debbie Gibson

I don't think that she is pointless as a singer.  LaToya Jackson? Now she is someone who is pointless, as a singer.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/03/09 at 6:09 pm

I don't think that she is pointless as a singer.  LaToya Jackson? Now she is someone who is pointless, as a singer.

Pointless or just plain scary?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/03/09 at 7:15 pm

Latoya Jackson is scary. But let's be for real. She is the only Jackson without any real talent.

But my vote is for DOn Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas. Now I love these men as Crockett and Tubbs in Miami Vice. I even bought the entire series in a boxed set. Weilding guns and wooing the ladies,. that is just fine. But the two of these fools trying to sing? Were they that dissatisfied with thier careers that they wanted to nose dive? I mean really.  :(

Written By: whistledog on 11/03/09 at 7:49 pm

Don Johnson wasn't a bad singer.  He did have 3 hit singles, one of which was a duet with the legendary Barbra Streisand.  I have all three of his hits on 45 ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/03/09 at 9:00 pm

Pointless or just plain scary?

No, just pointless, as in the only Jackson family member, without any disernable talent.

Written By: Midas on 11/04/09 at 11:26 pm

Debbie Gibson

It's okay to like pointless singers :D  However, being that Ms. Gibson wrote her own material at a young age, I wouldn't call it totally pointless.  Just some good bubblegum pop of the time.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/05/09 at 2:29 pm

Bruce Willis ?

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/09 at 5:56 pm

I notice the actors get alot of flak for their singing.

Somewhere in the world ...

Bruce Willis
Don Johnson
George Burns
Mel Brooks
Burt Reynolds
Billy Crystal
Pee-Wee Herman
Clint Eastwood
Eddie Murphy
Lorenzo Lamas
Christopher Atkins
Gregory Hines

all had hit singles in the 80s.  Man, if Pee-Wee Herman can have a hit single, anyone can :D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/05/09 at 11:09 pm

Now Eddie Murphy, Party All The Time, is my damn jam. I mean he had Rick James on the song! That's a  great song and I love it.

And Pee-Wee Herman surprises me. I thought he was too busy getting caught doing "bad" things in movie theatres to take the time to record anything.

And NO, not anyone can make a hit record--Latoya Jackson. Hello. LOL. But if you want to be REALLY scared, chew on this:

Latoya Jackson has a FANCLUB! I've seen it. A few years ago I was on a Jackson family fansite and there was the link to it. I didn't know she had any fans.  ??? I just wonder if somewhere in the world there's a person with pictures of Latoya all over the walls and her records and everything! LOL. (notice I said records and not cds!)

Written By: woops on 11/05/09 at 11:14 pm

I don't think "Party All The Time" was that bad, though honestly it was pretty average and probably only ragged on because Eddie Murphy sang it.  The song he did with the late MJ in the early '90's is something that shoulld be forgotten...

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/09 at 11:02 pm

Hey Nia Peeples album was pretty decent!  So was Janet's!  (well her second album anyway- that first one sucked) but she put out Dream Street when she was on Fame and Different Strokes. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/09 at 11:05 pm

This is what pisses me off... I don't care if you don't like rap music that's your prerogative- I hate Country.... but you can't generalize like that
There was lots of positive rap coming out of the 80s  and lots of fun rap that was neither positive nor hateful...

when you say its ALL about gangs and killing ho's that is the equivalent to me saying every white person in the south is racist and is probably in the Klan... 

and yeah I fudged you for your comment so what!

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/09 at 11:34 pm

I rather enjoyed reading this article

White People in Rap: A History

Written By: Silver Power on 11/23/09 at 1:04 pm

That was a pretty interesting article... Karamel to you.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/23/09 at 1:12 pm

Intersting article.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/23/09 at 1:15 pm

This is such an ignorant, horrible, ridiculous statement.  There's nothing redeemable about it.  Even if it is your opinion, it's just a bunch of crap with no logical basis whatsoever. 

I just gave out my second fudge...ever.

And then you started a thread whining about getting fudged?  Seriously?

Seriously?

::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/23/09 at 1:18 pm

Back to pointlessness, I also nominate, The Mary Jane Girls.  As most pointless band, of the 80's.

Written By: Silver Power on 11/23/09 at 1:25 pm

Back to pointlessness, I also nominate, The Mary Jane Girls.  As most pointless band, of the 80's.

I personally didn't like how their voices sounded when they harmonized. Rick James was behind that group, too!

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/09 at 6:53 pm

They weren't half bad, but not the best.  I liked their cover of 'Walk Like A Man', which apparently was supposed to be used as the theme song for the Howie Mandel film 'Walk Like A Man', but instead was used as the theme for the Howie Mandel film 'A Fine Mess' lol

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/09 at 10:18 am

Of course, you're supposed to say Michael Bolton.  However, Bolton had a point, and it was not his intended point, become an international joke about annoying singers and mulllets. 

I'm going to go with Jack Wagner ("All I neeeeeed....).  Looks, you're already a soap opera star, and the songs they give you aren't even amusing, like Rick Springfield's.

Now, Eddie Murphy's records "Party All the Time" (by Rick James, biatch) and "How Could It Be" were pointless themselves, so Eddie was pointless as a singer, but Eddie was such a gargantuan superstar as a comedian, and consummate egomaniac, at the time, of course he was going to do that.  But he wasn't pointless.  He showed that he belonged as a comedian, not a funk/ballad singer.

Matthew Wilder is also a good candidate, unless you think "The Kid's American" deserved a Grammy.
::)

Written By: Spottedfeather on 11/29/09 at 8:49 pm

Michael Jackson - sure, the Thriller video was a bit cool, but his voice never really got to me. Just a bunch of whining.
Madonna - never liked her. She looked like she smelled....she still does.

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/09 at 9:10 pm

She looked like she smelled....she still does.

???

Written By: Silver Power on 11/29/09 at 9:24 pm

Michael Jackson - sure, the Thriller video was a bit cool, but his voice never really got to me. Just a bunch of whining.
Madonna - never liked her. She looked like she smelled....she still does.

http://rlv.zcache.com/haterade_bumper_sticker-p128326180800372850trl0_400.jpg

Written By: Step-chan on 12/17/09 at 1:23 pm

http://rlv.zcache.com/haterade_bumper_sticker-p128326180800372850trl0_400.jpg

I agree.

Check for new replies or respond here...