inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it just me...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/19/09 at 10:33 am

Or was Kenny Loggins, the king of 80's film soundtracks?

After all, songs of his have appeared in the films Footloose, Top Gun, Caddyshack, Caddyshack II, and Over The Top.

Am I forgetting any other films?

Subject: Re: Is it just me...

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/09 at 6:18 pm

Technically, it was Prince, as between 'Purple Rain' (1984), 'Under the Graffiti Bridge' (1986) and 'Batman' (1989), he had 12 hits.  But Kenny Loggins did it better because he never appeared in any of the films he had hits for ...

With Prince, his were more regular artist albums than they were soundtracks because PRince did all the music.  The only exception was Batman which had instrumental tracks from Danny Elfman.

Kenny Loggins soundtrack hits ...

Caddyshack, 1980
I'm Alright

Footloose, 1984
Footloose
I'm Free (Heaven Helps the Man)

Top Gun, 1986
Danger Zone
Playing With the Boys

Over the Top, 1987
Meet Me Half Way

Caddyshack II, 1988
Nobody's Fool

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/19/09 at 7:00 pm

Technically, it was Prince, as between 'Purple Rain' (1984), 'Under the Graffiti Bridge' (1986) and 'Batman' (1989), he had 12 hits.  But Kenny Loggins did it better because he never appeared in any of the films he had hits for ...

With Prince, his were more regular artist albums than they were soundtracks because PRince did all the music.  The only exception was Batman which had instrumental tracks from Danny Elfman.

Kenny Loggins soundtrack hits ...

Caddyshack, 1980
I'm Alright

Footloose, 1984
Footloose
I'm Free (Heaven Helps the Man)

Top Gun, 1986
Danger Zone
Playing With the Boys

Over the Top, 1987
Meet Me Half Way

Caddyshack II, 1988
Nobody's Fool

Thanks, dude. You rock!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/21/09 at 7:35 pm

I love "I'm Free"  ;D

Written By: Davester on 10/24/09 at 11:58 pm

I don't remember when "soundtracks" became "scores" but my money is on John Williams as the king of eighties film soundtracks, erm... scores soundtracks...

Written By: Davester on 10/25/09 at 1:03 am

I want to follow-up on this one because it got me thinking - besides the small ball of lint jammed in my belly button, the first time I encountered "pop-songs-cum-soundtracks" or movies as vehicles for contemporary pop artists as opposed to musical symphonic or orchestral theatrical cues...

It was Prince's embarrassing Batman (1989) contribution.  Yeah I bought it back in '89 because I didn't read the packaging.  Was expecting Danny Elfman, got Prince.  Chucked it.  The other one I'm thinking of is the Crow (1994), an excellent compilation featuring, among others Machines of Loving Grace, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult and the Cure.  I also remember the Ghostbusters (1984) scoundtrack  as being a mixture of both - Thompson Twins, the Bus Boys, Ray Parker Jr. &etc along with Elmer Bernstein's score (which I love to death)...

That's American marketing knowhow at work.  It's important to distinguish soundtracks from scores...

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/09 at 4:10 am

I don't remember when "soundtracks" became "scores" but my money is on John Williams as the king of eighties film soundtracks, erm... scores soundtracks...

King of Soundtrack scores, yes.  Mr. Williams didn't mave many hit singles though

Written By: danootaandme on 10/25/09 at 6:58 am

I always figured sound tracks to be songs that could be sung along with, and scores to be all the background music.  So John Williams wrote scores, like Henry Mancini and guys like that.

Written By: Chasey on 10/25/09 at 7:25 am

Good thread.  For me, Kenny is the King of the 80's sountrack despite the statistics favouring Prince.

About 10 years ago, I tried to buy the Caddyshack Soundtrack from a link on the web but couldn't check out the items.  When I informed Kenny Loggins media company, they immediately apologised and sent me out the Caddyshack Soundtrack on cassette free of charge.

How cool was that!  :D

Written By: Davester on 10/25/09 at 11:12 am

King of Soundtrack scores, yes.  Mr. Williams didn't mave many hit singles though

No but:

Nominated - Oscar - Best Music, Original Score for: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
  Nominated - Oscar - Best Music, Original Score for: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
  Nominated - Oscar - Best Music, Original Song for the song "If We Were In Love" (Shared with Alan and Marilyn Bergman)
  Won - Oscar - Best Music, Original Score for: E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
  Nominated - Oscar - Best Music, Original Score for: Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983)
  Nominated - Oscar - Best Music, Original Score for: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
  Nominated - Oscar - Best Music, Original Score for: The Witches of Eastwick (1987)
  Nominated - Oscar - Best Music, Original Score for: Empire of the Sun (1987)
  Nominated - Oscar - Best Music, Original Score for: The Accidental Tourist (1988)
  Nominated - Oscar - Best Music, Original Score for: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
  Nominated - Oscar - Best Music, Original Score for: Born on the Fourth of July (1989)

Won - Grammy - Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special for: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
  Won - Grammy - Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special for: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
  Won - Grammy - Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special for: E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
  Won - Grammy - Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special for: Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983)
  Won - Grammy - Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special for: The Witches of Eastwick (1987)
  Won - Grammy - Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special for: Empire of the Sun (1987)
  Won - Grammy - Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special for: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Nominated for or won Golden Globe, Anthony Asquith Award for Film Music, BAFTA Film Award, American Movie Awards Special Marquee, Saturn Award, Lifetime Achievement Award, Nosferatu's Killer Movie Music Award (N.K.M.M.A.) and even a Razzie for his work on scores/soundtracks in the 1980s...

Alas, no Top 40 hit singles (thank goodness) but nevertheless the Winner and still Champion...

Written By: karen on 10/25/09 at 3:20 pm

Alas, no Top 40 hit singles (thank goodness) but nevertheless the Winner and still Champion...

Actually it's possible the Star Wars theme was released as a single in the UK.  :-\\  I know my brother had the album, and I recall the main theme being played on the radio.

Written By: Davester on 10/25/09 at 3:27 pm

Actually it's possible the Star Wars theme was released as a single in the UK.   :-\\  I know my brother had the album, and I recall the main theme being played on the radio.

That reminds me of something...there are certain Mecco songs that were popular on the radio, this is in the seventies.  The cantina song?  Star Wars medley?  Wonder where those charted.  Not John Williams songs, per se, but covers of original material...

A discoized version of a Star Wars song charting in the seventies?  Not beyond the realm of possibility...

Written By: karen on 10/25/09 at 3:37 pm

A discoized version of a Star Wars song charting in the seventies?  Not beyond the realm of possibility...

Thinking about it some more it was a medley of all the main themes. I can recall some R2D2 chirps over the music.  It was popular enough for it to features on an oldies station I used to listen to a few years ago.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/09 at 5:07 pm

Good thread.  For me, Kenny is the King of the 80's sountrack despite the statistics favouring Prince.

About 10 years ago, I tried to buy the Caddyshack Soundtrack from a link on the web but couldn't check out the items.  When I informed Kenny Loggins media company, they immediately apologised and sent me out the Caddyshack Soundtrack on cassette free of charge.

How cool was that!  :D

That sounded awesome!

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/09 at 7:47 pm

That reminds me of something...there are certain Mecco songs that were popular on the radio, this is in the seventies.  The cantina song?  Star Wars medley?  Wonder where those charted.  Not John Williams songs, per se, but covers of original material...

Meco did have 4 hits based on Star Wars ...

1977 - Star Wars / Cantina Band (Medley)
1980 - The Empire Strikes Back (Medley)
1980 - What Can You Get A Wookie For Christmas (When He Already Owns A Comb) *
1983 - Ewok Celebration

* Credited as the Stars Wars Intergalactic Droid Choir

Meco also had a Top 40 hit with the Close Encounters Theme in 1978 and released an album in 1979 that had a disco version of the 1978 Superman theme

Check for new replies or respond here...