inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help - Educational Television Show for Kids in Early 80s

Written By: lukasbradley on 11/06/09 at 1:09 pm

This is an obscure one, and I need help remembering the name of the show.

I remember seeing it sometime around 1983-1985.  It was an educational show about kids who I *think* worked for a newspaper.  For some reason, characters from books would either work their way into the real world by escaping, or the kids would venture into the stories themselves.

I seem to remember the Big Bad Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood being featured, and possibly Dracula.

One of the clearest memories I have of the show is of an intelilgent computer terminal that sat on the desk at the "newspaper."  When the kids would discuss matters, the computer would help find information and would answer questions.  The computer would answer questions verbally, but would display the longest keywords on the screen by themselves.  For example, if the computer said "The locomotive can only terminate at  the station."  The words would be displayed like so:

Locomotive
Terminate
Station

At times, the show was a little scary (for someone in the third to fifth grade).  I *think* it may have been made in Canada, as the accents were slightly different.

Help me please remember what this was called!  Many thanks.

Lukas

Subject: Re: Help - Educational Television Show for Kids in Early 80s

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/06/09 at 1:58 pm

You came to an awesomet place! Welcome aboard!

As for your question, it was the 80's Canadian TV series, that lasted a few seasons, Read All About It.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read_All_About_It!

Hope that it helps!

Subject: Re: Help - Educational Television Show for Kids in Early 80s

Written By: whistledog on 11/06/09 at 3:08 pm

The clown is correct.  Indeed it was Read All About It. 

David Craig Collard, the actor who played Chris on the show is now an assistant writer for 'Family Guy'

Check for new replies or respond here...