inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Day After

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/09 at 10:01 pm

Anyone remember, the contraversial film, The Day After?  It still scares me, after all these years.

Subject: Re: The Day After

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/09 at 10:08 pm

I am watching currently watching, the news broadcast that followed on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7yopzWVFtU

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/09 at 10:24 pm

It was okay but I thought Testament was done way better. I always have nightmares after watching Testament.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/09 at 10:41 pm

I also remember Special Bulletin, which was just as chilling.

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/22/09 at 10:51 pm

try watching oilstorm!  now thats a chill that may just happen, especially with the current administration!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/25/09 at 11:25 pm

For scary, (and since snozzberries already called the incredible Testament), get yourself some Threads, which came out about a year after The Day AfterThreads makes The Day After look positively Pollyannaish in its optimism :)

For reaslistic, I'll dig out the obscure 1990 made-for-TV flick By Dawn's Early Light.  If (wow, I typed "if", instead of "when", which I certainly wouldn't have said 20 years ago) a global exchange happens, it probably won't start with a full-scale attack, it'll start with just one, the business will get out of control, and we'll be lucky to remember that I'm quoting a completely different movie.

For sheer undisputed awesomeness, however, I'm sticking with 1988's Miracle Mile as my favorite piece of atomic cinema.  The sense of slowly-encroaching dread builds through the entire movie, and the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream makes it simply unbeatable.  The bombs, when they arrive, are a welcome relief.

When WWLast breaks out, it's not the bombs you have to worry about, it's the humans.

In that vein, I'm looking forward to the film adaptation of The Road next week.  Cormac McCarthy for the win.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/09 at 10:01 am

They gave us dire warnings at school about how traumatic the movie was going to be. So of course we watched, but it turned out to be like one of those b-movies from the fifties, except the cockroaches were normal-sized.  My sister's school had an evening emotional support group scheduled for the evening of and after "The Day After."  Heard nobody showed up.  It was basically Cold War propaganda to get our parents to support Reagan's defense build-up.  It was pre-9/11 era, people scared more easily. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/violent4.gif

The British film "Threads," same subject, is pretty scary, though.

Written By: Frank on 11/26/09 at 6:39 pm

That was a depressing movie that I did not watch till the end. Depressing..
I prefer comedies to take me away from all the bad stuff going on in the world.

Written By: Davester on 11/27/09 at 12:05 am

For scary, (and since snozzberries already called the incredible Testament), get yourself some Threads, which came out about a year after The Day AfterThreads makes The Day After look positively Pollyannaish in its optimism :)

For reaslistic, I'll dig out the obscure 1990 made-for-TV flick By Dawn's Early Light.  If (wow, I typed "if", instead of "when", which I certainly wouldn't have said 20 years ago) a global exchange happens, it probably won't start with a full-scale attack, it'll start with just one, the business will get out of control, and we'll be lucky to remember that I'm quoting a completely different movie.

For sheer undisputed awesomeness, however, I'm sticking with 1988's Miracle Mile as my favorite piece of atomic cinema.  The sense of slowly-encroaching dread builds through the entire movie, and the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream makes it simply unbeatable.  The bombs, when they arrive, are a welcome relief.

When WWLast breaks out, it's not the bombs you have to worry about, it's the humans.

In that vein, I'm looking forward to the film adaptation of The Road next week.  Cormac McCarthy for the win.

I agree Threads is better...

The most disturbing part of The Day After, for me, was when martial law was implemented after the destruction.  People could be executed, on the spot, for stealing food to feed their families...

Most people don't understand the dissonance that occurs when a kid eats his Happy Meal while watching The Day After.  It's pretty bizarre and perverted...

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/27/09 at 7:20 pm

I prefer comedies to take me away from all the bad stuff going on in the world.

Ah, you're looking for the granddaddy of all atomic cinema: Kubrick's gleefully lulzy Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

"You can't fight in here!  This is the War Room!"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/09 at 12:40 am

Ah, you're looking for the granddaddy of all atomic cinema: Kubrick's gleefully lulzy Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

"You can't fight in here!  This is the War Room!"

One of my all-time favorites, I'll tell you what!
;D

Of course, if Frank watched "The Day After" today, it would seem more like a comedy than anything else.  I mean, that movie is like Mystery Science Theater 3000 material!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/28/09 at 11:58 pm

Of course, if Frank watched "The Day After" today, it would seem more like a comedy than anything else.  I mean, that movie is like Mystery Science Theater 3000 material! ::)

And then there's The Atomic Cafe, which blurs the line between documentary and comedy. 

Check for new replies or respond here...