inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Something I saw at the Macy's Parade

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/09 at 9:56 am

The usual Macy's Day Parade I might watch for 10 minutes to see how hideous it is this year, I saw two eighties things: 
1. Cyndi Lauper:  She was on that princess girls pink castle float (you know, "bring out  your inner princess") and she was singing some godawful song.  She had quite a bit of makeup caked on and a red mohawk.  Neck and hands, you can't hide that.  She's not 30 anymore.  I didn't expect her to appears as such, of course, but I was disappointed to see her on top of that hideous princess girls castle.  On the other hand Cyndi was never Tracy Chapman ("Gimme one good reason to stay h'ya and I'll turn back around..."
2. When Ronald McDonald was cruising through the parade in his red limo, the band played Gary Numan, "Cars."
Don Henley said, "The other day I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac," to indicate his lost generation.
I'll use "They played Gare Numan at the Macy's Day Parade" to indicate mine!
:(

Subject: Re: Something I saw at the Macy's Parade

Written By: Frank on 11/26/09 at 6:40 pm

I used to have a crush on Cyndi Lauper, back in the mid 80s. Major turn on for me. But that was 25 years ago.

I haven't seen her recently but she must be around 50 years old.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/26/09 at 7:23 pm

I caught only a few bits and pieces (Neal loved the balloons of course).  I saw Jimmy Fallon singing "Holiday Road" by Lindsey Buckingham and then some awful song after that.  Heard "Planet Claire" by the B-52's as well at one point.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/09 at 12:49 am

I used to have a crush on Cyndi Lauper, back in the mid 80s. Major turn on for me. But that was 25 years ago.

I haven't seen her recently but she must be around 50 years old.

So did I, and I think she's still hot!

Actually, she's in her mid-fifties.  She didn't hit national stardom until she was thirty.  In the classical world, a composer's work at thirty is often still considered among the juvenilia, but in rock/pop it's getting up there...especially for a woman, and far more so nowadays when late-teens seems to be the prime age.  

Anyway, that princess castle she was standing on looked like a giant version of a piece of crap your seven-year-old wants from K-Mart!

I caught only a few bits and pieces (Neal loved the balloons of course).  I saw Jimmy Fallon singing "Holiday Road" by Lindsey Buckingham and then some awful song after that.  Heard "Planet Claire" by the B-52's as well at one point.

Regarding the use of our cool songs in commercials, Henry Rollins defended it, saying, "It means we've arrived!"
Where? At the Macy's parade?  Sorry Henry, the word is co-opted!  Meh, never mind Henry, he's a peckerwood anyway.

Well, it depends on the artist.  I don't know about Gary Numan, but if they offered the B-52's a float at the Macy's parade in 1980, Fred Schneider would have given them more than they bargained for!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icescream.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...