inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Speak & Spell Battery Cover ?

Written By: Spottedfeather on 11/28/09 at 6:16 pm

I was just in the garage and found my old Speak & Spell. It still works, except that it doesn't have a battery cover. God knows where it went. How would I go about getting a battery cover ? Or is there an easy fix that I could do myself ? If it helps, the back of the toy says copyright 1979/1980.

Subject: Re: Speak & Spell Battery Cover ?

Written By: karen on 11/28/09 at 6:55 pm

Duct tape

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/09 at 8:01 pm

I can tell you, that you ain't gonna find one in a store.  Your best bet is to browse flea markets, thrift stores and yard sales in the hopes to find one.

Can you use a Speak and Spell as well as Albert Brooks?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnbmkfDt3-A

:D

Written By: Claybricks on 11/28/09 at 8:47 pm

There's quite a few Speak & Spells for sale on Ebay. If you must have the cover, you could buy an inexpensive machine at Ebay.

http://toys.shop.ebay.com/Games-/233/i.html?_nkw=Speak+%26+Spell&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Dan

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/29/09 at 12:22 pm

I seem to remember using duct tape for mine when I was a kid.  Maybe you can find a non-working one on ebay... me I wouldn't bother to go to that much effort.

It's one of the few things I didn't save from my childhood to pass on to Neal... if it weren't for the fact that there are plenty of those fake "laptop" kids things out there now, I'd probably hunt one down for him.  The voice module is definitely distinct.

Written By: Spottedfeather on 11/29/09 at 8:46 pm

I even have the Super Speak & Spell from a few years after the original. It's fun, but it just doesn't have that nostalgic Robo-voice that the original ones have. I spent hours yesterday playing it.

Check for new replies or respond here...