inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Looking for specific 1980's Toy

Written By: momtofore on 11/29/09 at 3:15 pm

I am looking for one of the toy prizes from Showbiz pizza in the early 80's.  I got two rubber/plastic (more like rubber) alien/ creatures.  I remember seeing these dime store toys other places as well during this time period.  They were flat like bugs.  They were round or oval.  They had 4 feet that were on the sides (not underneath.)  Sometimes they had ridged backs and sometimes they were smooth.  The ones I had were flesh colored with a little green.  I also remember seeing orange ones.  They usually had some type of long snout.  They were fantasy creatures and I'm not sure how else to describe them.  All of the parts were made from the same material.  They were about 1-2" in diameter.  I kept two of these that I named Bernie and Bailey with me as good luck charms until I was an adult.  My purse was stolen and I lost them.  :.(  I would love to find out what they were.  Thanks for any help!

Subject: Re: Looking for specific 1980's Toy

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/02/09 at 10:36 pm

I am looking for one of the toy prizes from Showbiz pizza in the early 80's.  I got two rubber/plastic (more like rubber) alien/ creatures.  I remember seeing these dime store toys other places as well during this time period.  They were flat like bugs.  They were round or oval.  They had 4 feet that were on the sides (not underneath.)  Sometimes they had ridged backs and sometimes they were smooth.  The ones I had were flesh colored with a little green.  I also remember seeing orange ones.  They usually had some type of long snout.  They were fantasy creatures and I'm not sure how else to describe them.  All of the parts were made from the same material.  They were about 1-2" in diameter.  I kept two of these that I named Bernie and Bailey with me as good luck charms until I was an adult.  My purse was stolen and I lost them.  :.(  I would love to find out what they were.  Thanks for any help!

This sounds like a job for the folks who revived The Rock-afire Explosion.  Some filmmakers did a fantastic documentary on the animatronic band last year, which is now available on DVD.  Some of the redemption prizes are shown here, as well as many of the larger collectibles.  Although nothing there seems to quite match your description, something there might ring a bell.

If we can't help you here, Showbiz Pizza Forum folks might.  With the release of the DVD, there have been a lot of patrons (and former employees) getting back together and digging through their closets over the past few months, and someone who stocked the redemption machines will probably know exactly what you're talking about as soon as you post :)

Check for new replies or respond here...