inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prom theme back in the 80's

Written By: Alan on 12/17/09 at 4:03 pm

I am throwing my friend a birthday party and she wants it to be an 80's Prom theme.  What I am stuck on is what theme to have the  80's prom theme as.  The only thing that comes to mind is A stary night, kind of the look in the movie Footloose.  Any thoughts?

Subject: Re: Prom theme back in the 80's

Written By: Todd on 12/17/09 at 5:13 pm

My prom in the 80s had a theme called "Wonderland"  (yes the Alice Wonderland...)  it was really cool.  Also Ive heard of "sea" themes etc...Carnival and adventure themes....  Starry night sounds like a good one!  Good luck!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/17/09 at 5:17 pm

Our prom theme was Southern Plantation.  We had a cutout of a southern plantation and the colors were peach and teal. 

Written By: Frank on 12/17/09 at 8:25 pm

Our prom theme was Southern Plantation.  We had a cutout of a southern plantation and the colors were peach and teal. 

Reminds me of a Family Ties episode.

Films like " The Wedding singer" and "Gross Pointe Blank" might help a little together with Footloose. Sixteen candles is another one.

Written By: Fairee07 on 12/19/09 at 12:38 pm

I am throwing my friend a birthday party and she wants it to be an 80's Prom theme.  What I am stuck on is what theme to have the  80's prom theme as.  The only thing that comes to mind is A stary night, kind of the look in the movie Footloose.  Any thoughts?

For an 80's prom I visualize it as women wearing poofy or metallic dresses, overly teased hair, bright make-up, bangles or multi-layered necklaces, and perhaps white tights while the guys could wear neon socks under their tuxes and perhaps wear those Converse shoes. The decor could be pastel balloons and streamers along with confetti. For food and drink, lots of soda from Coca-Cola to Grape Crush, and as for food, perhaps a Mexican buffet for the main course, and then  have cupcakes, Doritos, and gummy candy to munch on afterwards while dancing to some 80s tunes or better yet 80s videos.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/20/09 at 7:09 pm

For an 80's prom I visualize it as women wearing poofy or metallic dresses, overly teased hair, bright make-up, bangles or multi-layered necklaces, and perhaps white tights while the guys could wear neon socks under their tuxes and perhaps wear those Converse shoes. The decor could be pastel balloons and streamers along with confetti. For food and drink, lots of soda from Coca-Cola to Grape Crush, and as for food, perhaps a Mexican buffet for the main course, and then  have cupcakes, Doritos, and gummy candy to munch on afterwards while dancing to some 80s tunes or better yet 80s videos.

Now that sounds like a dream come true for me!  :)

Written By: Todd on 12/21/09 at 4:20 pm

Thats a perfect idea as it is.  You dont need an "additional" theme if youre having an 80s theme prom!  Thats the only theme you need!  Lots of 80s theme decorations and 80s prom outfits!

Check for new replies or respond here...