inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chritian rock cutting edge 80s

Written By: leebowen on 01/01/10 at 1:38 am

so i read the article about Christian rock in the 80's not being very good.....i have to somewhat agree  and then somewhat disagree....after all there were great bands like:

Whitecross
Barren Cross
Holy Soldier
Guardian
X-sinner
Deliverance
one bad pig
...Newsboys started in the 80's    Stryper was In my humple opinion a much better band than say there counterparts.....poison and motley crue, and what about the cutting edge bands like Vengeance rising and Tourniquet ,  of course music as a whole is better today....living sacrifice....demonhunter,p.o.d, piller and disciple and Skillet,  just to name a couple, but there earlier bands paved the way.

Subject: Re: Chritian rock cutting edge 80s

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/01/10 at 10:49 am

You can't more cutting edge, than Stryer.  ;D

Sorry, almost had a hernia, laughing as I typed that statement down.

Written By: randy on 01/01/10 at 7:07 pm

LOL....yes i know.....of coarse i was referring to the time..... and by know means consider stryper cutting edge.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/01/10 at 7:18 pm

HEY!!!!!!!!!!  I happen to like Stryper, then and now.   >:(

Written By: leebowen on 01/02/10 at 4:42 am

I liked them then......their new albums  reborn and death by pride are ok....they've lost something,  they sound more like Michael Sweets solo projects, i personally liked the direction they were going on the two new songs on the album 7, can't say I've given the new albums a lot of time though.  I would love to produce an album for them.....haha. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/07/10 at 5:10 pm

Two bands I liked that were definitely Christian:

The Call
The Alarm

They weren't evangelical or "inspirational," but they were heavy on Christian/spiritual themes in their lyrics.

Written By: leebowen on 01/07/10 at 8:07 pm

yes. i remember them......Resurrection band as well....they even did secular covers but still maintained an identity of there own. and lets not forget john Schlitt of Petra was originally in the band head east. And of course Mark Farner...is that  right lol .... any how  Mark was in grand funk railroad and went on to do christian rock in the 80's.  And let it be know that even guys like Alice Cooper, and Dave Mustaine are now Christians, Alice Cooper put out a trilogy of christian rock( that sounded very eighties).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/10 at 1:31 pm

yes. i remember them......Resurrection band as well....they even did secular covers but still maintained an identity of there own. and lets not forget john Schlitt of Petra was originally in the band head east. And of course Mark Farner...is that  right lol .... any how  Mark was in grand funk railroad and went on to do christian rock in the 80's.  And let it be know that even guys like Alice Cooper, and Dave Mustaine are now Christians, Alice Cooper put out a trilogy of christian rock( that sounded very eighties).

To paraphrase Rob Reiner as Marty DiBergi:

"This pretentious ponderous collection of religious rock songs is enough to prompt the question, 'What day did the Lord create Alice Cooper, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?'"

:D

Check for new replies or respond here...