inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember when summer reruns on TV meant watching shows you missed when new?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/11/10 at 10:22 am

I was looking through some old articles related to Miami Vice, and saw that part of the reason for its success is that it gathered high ratings in the summer of '85, after people who watched the CBS primetime soap Falcon Crest, wanted to check something else (like an old '90s NBC promo, if you haven't seen it yet, it's new to you!) But there was a tradition to view these reruns of a particular timeslot from what you missed the 1st time. Since the advent of Tivo, On-demand, and later online video such as Youtube, this has gotten passe.

Subject: Re: Remember when summer reruns on TV meant watching shows you missed when new?

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/11/10 at 4:10 pm

Yup.  I remember watching the reruns of Martin from the last season to catch the program that I missed whe it first aired.  Those were the days.  I think that they stop doing that now.

Subject: Re: Remember when summer reruns on TV meant watching shows you missed when new?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/11/10 at 4:25 pm

I remember this too. It was a great way to catch on episodes, that you missed. It still is.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/11/10 at 6:29 pm

I remember watching summer reruns like The Hogan Family when it was on WPIX. It brings back many memories.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/11/10 at 7:40 pm

I used to depend on summer reruns to catch episodes I missed, plus have another chance to watch favorite episodes from that season. 

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/10 at 9:22 pm

they haven't completely stopped reruns NBC airs reruns of its biggest shows on Saturdays that's why you can see the same law & order eps like 3 or four times in a few months (nope not talking about them reairing them on Bravo or USA

CBS also regularly reruns eps of Numbers, Medium, Criminal Minds etc. There are few shows that get rerun during the breaks and summers but the shows that still make the network money get the prime treatment...

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/11/10 at 10:52 pm

I was looking through some old articles related to Miami Vice...

Sounds like you have good taste in classic TV shows! If you're interested, check this site out:
http://buyersmls.com/americantv/vice.htm

And I agree, today's shows don't get the fair shake in rerun season that they should. Usually we're stuck with more crappy reality show filler, but just last week I caught the this season's premiere of CSI: Miami, which my retard-o-matic VCR didn't bother to tape last fall.
NBC is the worst offender in this trend. One of their best shows, Friday Night Lights, they seem scared to air even ONCE per season, but they're running them online, for all the sense that makes. Half the prime demographic(18-49) can't operate a DVD player, let alone a laptop! No wonder half the new shows in the fall are cancelled before Thanksgiving, no one's got time to watch'em all!

Frankly, I can't see why every show that ran from 1990 on has to be run in syndication on FOX, TBS, and NICK AT NITE over and over, and over and over and over and over... they used to run either shows from 20-30-40 years ago, were they suddenly judged too inoffensive to audiences? I'll never understand modern TV's fascination with filth and juvenility.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...